Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

mol_son wrote:Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA - oh how I wish I could have been having this at the pub in Pittsburgh, but even at home and purchased in September, it is a great IPA!
Had this at the pub in Cleveland and found bottles at the warehouse when I was there last August. Fantastic IPA.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Trafalgar Extra Special Bitter

Yah, not a popular brewery on this board, but I occasionally buy something from them. This was pretty good.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

FFF Permanent Funeral (thanks Weebay!)

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Tilquin Oude Gueuze
Troegs HopBack
Muskoka Summer Weiss (kinda...I spilled two thirds of the bottle all over my desk and keyboard)
Cameron's RPA

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Hofbrau Schwarze
Peak Organic Oak Aged Mocha Stout
Fish Tale Mudshark Porter
Le Tru du Diable Dulcis Succubus[/i]

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Torontoblue wrote:Le Tru du Diable Dulcis Succubus
LOL I was trying to explain to a lady who was beer-dabbling at Bellwoods yesterday HOW a (750ml) bottle of Trou de Diable - imported, great stuff, high ABV - could sell for $35-40 on the chalk board, and you know what Sid, I realized that you just can't explain beer insanity. :D
Luckily the rarity, large volume and ABV of the bottles in question justifies the price by any and all local 'wine resale pricing standards' so with this being my little argument it made me sound like a passibly rational human being.

By the way NICE JOB to whomever selected the bottles they sell at Bellwoods, it's all excellent and very drinkable stuff. No strange Ontario one-offs or fillers, just pedigree brew like Rochefort and De Dolle, Liefman's Goudenband... yum.
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Belgian wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Le Tru du Diable Dulcis Succubus
LOL I was trying to explain to a lady who was beer-dabbling at Bellwoods yesterday HOW a (750ml) bottle of Trou de Diable - imported, great stuff, high ABV - could sell for $35-40 on the chalk board, and you know what Sid, I realized that you just can't explain beer insanity. :D
Luckily the rarity, large volume and ABV of the bottles in question justifies the price by any and all local 'wine resale pricing standards' so with this being my little argument it made me sound like a passibly rational human being.

By the way NICE JOB to whomever selected the bottles they sell at Bellwoods, it's all excellent and very drinkable stuff. No strange Ontario one-offs or fillers, just pedigree brew like Rochefort and De Dolle, Liefman's Goudenband... yum.
The Dulcis Succubus cost me $22.99 in a liquor store here. And quite frankly, it's over priced for what it is. I was sucked in by the hype around this beer. It was good, but not 99pts, $22.99 good.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Torontoblue wrote: The Dulcis Succubus cost me $22.99 in a liquor store here. And quite frankly, it's over priced for what it is. I was sucked in by the hype around this beer. It was good, but not 99pts, $22.99 good.
Different stokes.....I'd pay $23 for a bottle of Succubus all day long. My top rated beer of all time. Part of it is that I'm crazy for both brett and noble rot. Lord help me if I ever have hte means to afford Chateau d'Yquem.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I didn't get any brett at all. Came across as a very sweet Belgian Strong Golden Ale.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Torontoblue wrote:I didn't get any brett at all. Came across as a very sweet Belgian Strong Golden Ale.
Interesting. Had a very sour, barnyardy bottle at Volo about 2 years ago that blew me away. Have a bottle in hand right now and another on it's way. Hoping I'm not disappointed.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Left Field Brewery 6-4-3 @ The Ship, Hamilton. 8.4%, 92 IBU. Double IPA. Honey-gold pour. Slight haze. Great finish. Would pair well with a beef or chicken dish with some heat.

Excellent version of the style. Not a boundary-pusher but so enjoyable.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

zane9 wrote:Left Field Brewery 6-4-3 @ The Ship, Hamilton. 8.4%, 92 IBU. Double IPA. Honey-gold pour. Slight haze. Great finish. Would pair well with a beef or chicken dish with some heat.

Excellent version of the style. Not a boundary-pusher but so enjoyable.
Went to the Judge yeaterday. Seems like I made the wrong choice :wink:

Drinking a Broadway Pub Saison Chardonnay I got in a BIF trade. I thought Winey Bastard fron Nickel Brook was the most wine forward barrel aged beer I've even had, but this takes the cake. Hugely oaky. Vanilla and a little buttery. Finishes with pear, apple, a touch of lemon and loads of watermelon. If there was more acidity, it would be more wine than beer. No funky saison yeast character, but super interesting.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

A couple at The Only - Double Trouble Prison Break Pilsner (kinda meh, too sweet with not enough hop backbone), and Bellwoods Farmhouse Classic (nice brett character, easy drinking but I could do with a little more brett and a little dryer, nice though...)

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Kissmeyer Red IPA thanks to cfrancis.

And after that epic beatdown of the Habs, I had to have another.

Bellwoods Barrel Aged Saison thanks to boney.

A good night all around after a long, boring day at work.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Yesterday at Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Unibroue Seigneuriale (draught)
Kensington Brewing Watermelon Wheat (draught)
Mill Street Spring Imp Bock (sample)
Sawdust City Red Rocket Stout (sample)
Grand River Mill Race Mild (draught)
Nickel Brook Immodest Imperial I.P.A. (bottle)

Tonight at home:
Cameron's Rye Pale Ale
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott