Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Epic Armageddon IPA
Tuatara Aotearoa Pale Ale
Half Pints Saison De La Ceinture Flechee
Left Hand Milk Stout

Quite the night of drinking between Leafs/Bruins, and Hadfield coming back to earth. Hopefully can get ahold of Sofie and Matilda for Sens/Pens game 1 tomorrow. :D

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

BIA IPA. Wow...an imported Italian beer NOT made by Peroni! I can imagine some uber-American IPA fans saying "not enough flavour, dude" but for me this is balanced just right.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

Philip1 wrote:BIA IPA. Wow...an imported Italian beer NOT made by Peroni! I can imagine some uber-American IPA fans saying "not enough flavour, dude" but for me this is balanced just right.
I liked the BIA more than I expected to. If it had been fresher I might have liked it quite a bit!
Ren

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Drinking a Goose Island Pepe Nero right now. Had the Matilda the other night. Not super impressed with either. Competent, but nothing with either of them really makes them stand out, in my mind.

Anyone else getting totally rusted out bottle caps on these GI beers? Both the Pepe and Matilda had wicked rusty caps. Haven't checked my Sofie yet. Makes me hesitant to age any of these.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Philip1 wrote:BIA IPA. Wow...an imported Italian beer NOT made by Peroni! I can imagine some uber-American IPA fans saying "not enough flavour, dude" but for me this is balanced just right.
Don't forget BIRRIFICIO DEL DUCATO NEW MORNING (Saison) and Panil Barrique..... but yeah BIA IPA tastes distinctively European in a way quite different from the British style, it's really good.

At Red House I had some very fine GL Naughty Neighbor, Boreal Rousse, NB Headstock IPA, and I sent back a Rose de Hibiscus that was stale and flat (two strikes for DDC at this otherwise great Kingston bar. What gives.)

I also enjoyed a prime pint of Dragon's Breath Cask Pale Ale at KBC. Loads of alefruit and charm, sometimes they hit it just right
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

RPA and then found an old (re: first bottling) of Twice as Mad Tom - opened it up - boy these bottles hold up really well. A little of the aroma missing, but that's about it...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Goose Island Sophie - holy smokes! what a delicious saison: tart, winey, funky aroma, dry finish.

Now I REALLY hope they settle before midnight, as I only got one bottle!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

munrets

Post by munrets »

Did a Buffalo Run today. I'm not sure if I missed it on previous visits but I came across a bunch of Sixpoint beers at Premier Gourment. Had a Resin tonight: beautiful. Followed up with a Nugget Nectar: even better.

But it seems that despite my best Tetris-like organization attempts, I can't fit all the new acquisitions into my beer fridge. Tragedy! While moving things around I found a Deviant Dale's that was tucked away at the back for at least a year. Still drinking beautifully. Dank, for certain.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

@ Only Cafe yesterday -
Aphrodisiaque,
Ephemere Black Currant
& Denison's Weisse.

Good stuff, Canada... even without big monster hops. :wink:
In Beerum Veritas

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

My Bitter Wife - I like this one a lot; it compares well to many of the IPAs that the LCBO has brought in recently. I predict I will buy a lot of this....I hope it sticks around the LCBO.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Pipewords Simcoe Ninja. Delicious!

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

A couple of pints of Bellwoods Roman Candle at The Only, gosh this beer is good.

Then a 1983 Thomas Hardy's at home. Whoo boy, that's a hell of a brew 30 years later...

And now a home-brewed Chai milk stout that is so spot on I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do it again...

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

ritzkiss wrote: Then a 1983 Thomas Hardy's at home. Whoo boy, that's a hell of a brew 30 years later...
:o

Details, please...

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Kudos to that Thomas Hardy's ritzkiss!

I decided to open up some vintage UK ales in celebration of the long weekend...

2012 Fullers Vintage Ale
2010 Ola Dubh 12 Year
2009 Fullers Vintage Ale
1978 Courage Russian Imperial Stout

The '78 is by far the oldest beer I've ever had...and I'm slowly savouring the last drops, it absolutely over-delivered. Still in 'beer shock' as I expected it to be bad...

jprime

Post by jprime »

I had my last Hopslam to celebrate my bithday last night. Still lots of hoppy flavour and delicious. Actually this year I wasnt a fan of this fresh but preferded it with a couple of months on it.