Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Streets

Post by Streets »

boney wrote:Had an all Ontario imperial stout tasting tonight with my father-in-law and brother-in-law. Intereting results....

#1 Welligton Impy Stout
#2-tie Amsterdam Tempest
#2-tie Grand River Russian Gun
#4 Nickel Brook Bolshevik Bastard
#5 Bellwoods Hellwoods
Very interesting. Were these rankings unanimous?

I still have a bottle of Hellwoods from the bottle shop's grand opening when we ran into you in line, so we'll have to crack it open at the next tasting and see how she's aged :)

BTW, were these bottles all similar ages? I'm assuming the Russian Gun must have been from last year?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Bonator Doppelbock by Klosterbrauerei Weissenohe
Papaya Crash Edition by Nomada Brewing Co. - Real fruity, chewy hops DIPA from Catalunya.
Royal Porter A La Taza by Nomada Brewing Co
Moose Islay by Nomada Brewing Co. - Subtle whisky barrel aged RIS.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Dark Horse Too Cream Stout
very very nice sweet/milk stout

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Streets wrote:
boney wrote:Had an all Ontario imperial stout tasting tonight with my father-in-law and brother-in-law. Intereting results....

#1 Welligton Impy Stout
#2-tie Amsterdam Tempest
#2-tie Grand River Russian Gun
#4 Nickel Brook Bolshevik Bastard
#5 Bellwoods Hellwoods
Very interesting. Were these rankings unanimous?

I still have a bottle of Hellwoods from the bottle shop's grand opening when we ran into you in line, so we'll have to crack it open at the next tasting and see how she's aged :)

BTW, were these bottles all similar ages? I'm assuming the Russian Gun must have been from last year?
Not all were exactly the same age, but pretty close.....within 6 months of each other. All with a little age on them.

Those results are the average of 3 people. My rankings and notes were slightly different....

#1 Amsterdam. Biggest body, most dark fruit, lots going on/most complex.
#2 Bellwoods. Easily the most hops. The least stout-like. Drank more like a black IPA than a impy stout in comparison to the others.
#3 Grand River. Thinnest body, lighest color but packed with flavor. The molassus really stood out.
#4 Wellington. Oddly enough, the roastiest. Probably the most balanced, but just didn't knock my socks off.
#5 Nickelbrook. The sweetest stout overall with a savory quality that I didn't dig.

zombi69

Post by zombi69 »

Short's Kind Ale! A very fresh wet hopped ale brewed in small batches! Wish I had of grabbed more! Holds up with the best of them!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Revolution Anti-Hero IPA
Two Brothers Cane and Ebel

There's no doubt that we've come a long way in Ontario in the past few years, but a visit to Chicago makes you realise that we're still a long way behind.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Fridge treasures......
From 2012 (!)
Brooklyn Oktoberfest - great!
From February:
Sam Adams Lattitude 48 IPA - not as great! But I'm thirsty.
In Beerum Veritas

Eli

Post by Eli »

Had a little American beer night with the girlfriend:

Hennepin: Love this one. Light and crisp enough for the hot days but I can see myself drinking it any tome of the year. I hope to see more Ommegang in the LCBO.

Goose Island's Night Stalker: Most definitely the hopiest stout I've ever had and I quite liked it. A bit on the sweet side but hops and spiciness this beer had just went really well with the chocolatey flavours.

Voodoo - The Banana and Peanut butter one: Fell for a gimmick, I should have known better. Aroma was actually amusing/interesting but after a few sips neither the girlfriend or I could finish it. It had a bit in it of Rogue's Hazelnut Brown but the body was way to thin for a beer like this and the flavours just did not mesh well with us. Drainage!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Bobsy wrote:Revolution Anti-Hero IPA
Two Brothers Cane and Ebel

There's no doubt that we've come a long way in Ontario in the past few years, but a visit to Chicago makes you realise that we're still a long way behind.
Welcome back :D

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Some highlights from a recent Buffalo stay:

Maine Beer Co. Lunch (bottled Oct 8)
Jack's Abby Hoponius Union
Evil Twin Lil' B
Crooked Stave Surette
Bell's Two Hearted
Alesmith Evil Dead Red

and finally visiting Ted's Hot Dogs.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at home:
Midtfyns / De Molen X Porter
Dieu du Ciel Pénombre IPA Noire
Bobsy wrote: There's no doubt that we've come a long way in Ontario in the past few years, but a visit to Chicago makes you realise that we're still a long way behind.
Wait for Gary's post in a few days discussing how underwhelming a recent trip to Chicago was. :lol:
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

After a long week - Russian River Damnation Batch 23 (Oak Aged)

at 10.75% this is taking the edge off

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Phillips Green Reaper... it's no Sartori.

North Coast Class of '88 Barleywine. It doesn't exude American hops, but it's a really great ale... better than the Rogue or Deschutes, IMHO.

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

At the end of a very, very long day, am polishing off a growler of Ralph's Nuts. Not sure if it is the same as was had at Volo's 25th party as the Ratebeer ABV is 2% higher.

Not a bad saison, but not knockout. A very session-worthy saison though.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

last night at jprimes:

Otter Creek / Lawson’s Finest Liquids Double Dose IPA
Hill Farmstead Life Without Principle #3
Hill Farmstead Susan
Grassroots Legitimacy
Hill Farmstead Edward
Hill Farmstead Abner
Wellington Shadowplay Schwarzbier