Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Noche De Los Alebrijes by Half Pints - A decent enough, malty, roasty black lager

Malus Pater by Beer Here - a rather bland, uninteresting quad; certainly not as interesting as the label!!!

jprime

Post by jprime »

So far:

Buffalo trace bourbon
Forty Creek Cream
Trou De Diable McTavish
DDC Mortality
More Buffalo Trace
St. Ambroise IIPA

Happy holidays from very cold and snowy Quebec. More to come

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Nickel Brook Kiangoi Coffee Pale Ale (draught)
Muskoka Winter Weiss (draught)
Le Trou Du Diable La Petite Buteuse (draught)
Flying Monkeys Machete (draught)

Right now:
Ommegang Game Of Thrones Take The Black Stout

Hope everyone is having a great Christmas!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

heebes

Post by heebes »

Bellwoods Blitzen

jprime

Post by jprime »

TDD Blanche de Shawi
TDD Pitoune Pils
DDC mortality
LTM Gose
A la Fut La Tripe a 3 Brett - delicious

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

2008 North Coast Old Stock (drinking very nice)
Side by side of Red on Red, the Flying Monkey's version released here and Central City's same beer released there. A little bit of an age difference (a few months) and that's noticeable, the BC version not being as bitter and brash and allowing the juiciness of the hops to showcase a little more.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Ballast Point Sculpin
Driftwood Singularity (2013)

That was enough for me tonight. Merry Christmas!

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

Founders Breakfast Stout
Beyond the Pale The Darkerness

jprime

Post by jprime »

Hillfarmstead/Blaugie La Vermontoise

Soods

Post by Soods »

Ithaca Flower Power IPA
Evil Twin Biscotti Break

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

Last night:

St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout while preparing dinner,
then during the Leaf's game
a 2008 and 2013 Fuller's Vintage ale side-by-side; the 2008 won for aroma and flavour hands down

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

In Montreal over the weekend, frustrated because where I was staying all the beer in pubs and restaurants seemed macro (Rickards, Budweiser, Bud Light and such). Molson Export, to which I have a sentimental attachment, was available in two places I stopped by. In one, the bottle had (IMO) a clear damp paper oxidized taste and I didn't finish it, the same for draft Export in another place downtown. Finally I got a tall can in a depanneur to see if it would be the same. There was no oxidation but the starchy aftertaste seemed quite different to how I recall Export in Quebec 30 years ago and even Ontario 15 years ago.

I had a Blue "faute de mieux" on the train back and decided it is a decent mass market beer: you can taste malt and hops in it albeit lightly. It trumps Molson Coors's beers, IMO. The only craft beer I found, in a restaurant downtown Saturday night, was Gaspar, a lager. It was nice, also a touch oxidized I thought but certainly drinkable. I think the oxidation factor results from the beers mentioned not having a big turnover. I am sure e.g., Coors Light was always in top shape (for what it is) because it sells so much.

"You can't go home again", Thomas Wolfe was right, but I still hold out hope that the old "Mol" I remember will come back..

Gray

P.S. I wasn't able to visit any of the great beer bars, we stayed in Snowdon to attend a family event so I was limited to that part (around Decarie/Cote Ste. Catherine), and downtown briefly around Central Station. Maybe there was some good beer there but I couldn't find any the couple of times I had a chance to have a beer out. In and just outside Central Station, apart from Sleeman Honey Brown, decent but not a favourite of mine, I can't recall seeing a craft beer where I looked in. I did see Creemore once, but I am not going to drink Creemore in Montreal.

It can be similar of course in large tracts of Metro Toronto. It is a reminder how relatively small the craft beer segment still is.
Gary Gillman

Soods

Post by Soods »

Pleasantly surprised to pick up a growler of Goose Island BCBS from Premier Gourmet. Delicious!!

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

DDC Moralite IPA - worthy of the praise.

heebes

Post by heebes »

spinrsx wrote:DDC Moralite IPA - worthy of the praise.
glad to hear. damn i hope this comes here, or we can at least private order it