Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I had a Brother Thelonius tonight that I think was from late 2012. To be honest, I wasn't thrilled with it. It came across a little too malty without the complexity or depth I expect from the better examples of the style.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Victory Storm King in light of today's weather. Very underrated beer. This is awesome!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

cfrancis wrote: Victory Storm King in light of today's weather. Very underrated beer. This is awesome!
Of all the impy stouts I've had, this one's my favourite. It's neither rare nor revered in the beer geek world (as compared to other examples), but to me it approaches perfection. Looking forward to visiting the brewery later this year.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

it's also very well priced. And one of the few imperial type beers that is still sold in 6-packs
cratez wrote:
cfrancis wrote: Victory Storm King in light of today's weather. Very underrated beer. This is awesome!
Of all the impy stouts I've had, this one's my favourite. It's neither rare nor revered in the beer geek world (as compared to other examples), but to me it approaches perfection. Looking forward to visiting the brewery later this year.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

cratez wrote:
Exactly, no one really raves about it because of it's availability and the conservative price.

Definitely going to seek it out again when I'm back down south.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

cfrancis wrote:Victory Storm King in light of today's weather. Very underrated beer. This is awesome!
Count me in on it being a favorite.

Wizard Wolf from Bellwoods for me tonight.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Draak 9000 and Goudenband tonight for me

The liefmans was legit, had higher hopes for the 9000 though

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the last two nights at home:
Muskoka Detour Session IPA
Great Lakes Beard of Zeus
Mill Street Distillery Ale
Cameron's Rye Pale Ale
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

spinrsx wrote:Draak 9000 - had higher hopes
Have you noticed nearly all new Quad or Abt styles are either disappointing or offer nothing original - people say Trappe is the same as this only better. (Trappist Achel Extra is an exception in more recent years.)
cfrancis wrote:Victory Storm King in light of today's weather. Very underrated beer. This is awesome!
Absolutely a winner, it's a beer of some regard whatever people say (and some people say they dislike Dark Lord so popularity isn't everything.)
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

drinking the regular draak from 2012 lcbo winter release - holding up very well.

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

Waterloo IPA
Crazy Canuck

Read lots of negative reviews of the Waterloo but picked up a single can to quench my thirst and curiousity. This really wasn't too bad! Quite suprised actually. I know its not a big "hop bomb" by any means but a very decent tasting brew. Would buy again.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Last night at home and The Bent Elbow:

Bells Hopslam
Kuhnhenn Raw Barleywine
Clown Shoes Bombay Berserker
Amsterdam Fracture (bottle @ Bent Elbow)
Black Oak Triple Chocolate Cherry Stout (cask @ BE)
Dieu Du Ciel Aphrodisiaque (tap @ BE)
Carnegie Porter
Sinebrychoff Porter
De Molen Hemel & Aarde Wild Turkey BA
Kuhnhenn Aldebaran Belgian DIPA
"There's always money in the banana stand."

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Mad & Noisy Hops and Bolts, from the can. In this one, unlike the draft tasted recently at a Firkin, I get a sulphury-like background taste, similar to that in Creemore Lager.

I wonder if the draft is brewed downtown at Six Pints and the canned stuff out at Creemore where presumably there is a canning line, and if so, whether the yeast used downtown is different for that version.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Soods

Post by Soods »

Muskoka Winter Jack
Amsterdam Double Tempest

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

cratez wrote:
Agreed! I'll be asking my parents to bring me some of this back from Florida this spring.

Oast House Porter at lunch,

Followed by Harry Porter with dinner and a Fracture afterwards.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John