Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Spent the weekend working the EBGA booth at the Edmonton Craft Beer Festival, pouring 4 Alley Kat cask ales, but did manage to sneak a few beers down the throat:

Alley Kat Maibock - cask conditioned with extra Tradition hops & the last of the Charlie Flint yeast strain.
Alley Kat Full Moon Pale Ale - cask conditioned & dry hopped with Simcoe, Centennial & Columbus hops
Alley Kat 6 1/2 Bears Export Stout aged on 'special' oak chips - great flavours of oak, bourbon & port
Selkirk Abbey Guilt Belgian-style Porter
Fallen Timber Cyser - a mead/cider blend

Back at home, it's been:

Alaskan Barley Wine
Maine Beer Co Lunch IPA - bottled 13 May 2014. Really fresh, fruity, hoppy, drying IPA
Maine Beer Co King Titus Porter - same bottling date, wonderfully roasty, hoppy, bitter, dark chocolately porter.
Maine Beer Co Mean Old Tom Stout.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at Bier Markt Esplanade and C'est What?:
Rogue Farms 7 Hop IPA (draught)
Central City Red Racer IPA (draught)
Black Oak Summer Saison (draught)
Cheshire Valley Robust Porter (draught)
Torontoblue wrote: Maine Beer Co Lunch IPA - bottled 13 May 2014. Really fresh, fruity, hoppy, drying IPA
Maine Beer Co King Titus Porter - same bottling date, wonderfully roasty, hoppy, bitter, dark chocolately porter.
Maine Beer Co Mean Old Tom Stout.
Love pretty much everything these guys make.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Yeah, haven't had a duff beer yet from Maine, and getting them out West so soon after bottling is helping their reputation....and my enjoyment :)

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Continuing (for a bit) with my old-school theme. Molson Export (draft), consumed at Kramer's in Davisville, and Labatt 50 after from a can, at home. Both were very fresh with no off-tastes from overage or other defects. The 50 gets my preference for being a little maltier and aromatic, but there is not much to choose between the two. Adjunct is quite evident in both, and the taste is very mild, in general.

I remember these beers in the 1970's in Montreal. IMO these current ones are not the same. Disappointing.

On the plus side, they were clean, had no faults and were refreshing. The other day, I ordered a well-known local craft ale and it came damp-paper oxidized. I left it on the counter. These other two beers are the superior ones.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

A nice hop progression:

Camerons California Sunshine
Thornbridge Halycon
Amsterdam Fracture

All great beers, but the Amsterdam really is a standout.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

G.M. Gillman wrote:.... Molson Export (draft), consumed at Kramer's in Davisville, and Labatt 50 after from a can...

I remember these beers in the 1970's in Montreal. IMO these current ones are not the same. Disappointing.
When I was drinking a few Molson in Quebec City, I found it markedly better than what was sold as beer in Ontario at the time. Have to wonder if Molson Quebec is brewing for a different standard of taste. Frencher, if you will.
In Beerum Veritas

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

About Molson in Quebec Province vs. Toronto. I think there used to be a difference, but today "une Mol" in Montreal, at any rate, tastes the same as in Toronto, IMO. This beer used to have a distinctive earthy/fruity note, I remember it quite well. Now it seems completely different and with much less taste.

Drinking now that Big Rock Saaz Pilz we discussed some time ago. After that discussion (not right away but a few weeks later), I bought it and didn't like it. Either it was the Big Rock yeast background - generally not a fan - being stronger than in the first beer or something else, mishandling or overage, always hard to say. Waited a few months and bought it again and I really like this one, it's like that first one I talked about, quite similar to Urquell but a little toned down, more subtle, yet just as good in its way. It's got a typical Continental barley note you get in a lot of Czech and German beers. Presumably very fresh stock.

At beer bistro the other day, Nicklebrook's Belgian Pale Ale was outstanding. A slight clove note denoted the Belgic quality but it didn't spill into that harsh chalky taste so much Belgian ale (and some lager) has. Really fine natural ale, best of the best, IMO. Finally Czechvar draft at the same place but for some reason it seemed a little dull, not sure why.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:.., but the Amsterdam Fracture really is a standout.
Yeah this one's juicy and piney. Bottles from brewery store, Leaside, I don't know if Harborfront store had this.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Belgian wrote:
Bobsy wrote:.., but the Amsterdam Fracture really is a standout.
Yeah this one's juicy and piney. Bottles from brewery store, Leaside, I don't know if Harborfront store had this.
Yep - this is available in the retail store next to the brewpub.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the weekend at Bar Hop & Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Great Lakes Thrust! An IPA (cask)
Neustadt Springs 10w30 (draught)
Evil Twin Falco IPA (bottle)
Great Lakes Chill Winston Grisette (draught)
Beer Lab Double IPA (draught)
Cheshire Valley Robust Porter (draught)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Shared a few old-school beers with beer historian Ron Pattinson yesterday. Ron had some time in Toronto during a layover when returning to his home base of Amsterdam (The Netherlands). He had appeared at some AHA events in the States last week to promote his new historical book of recipes designed for the homebrewer.

I wanted his views on the old school since he is well-familiar with the North American craft scene and he was game to try the beers. He felt Yuengling Lord Chesterfield and Labatt 50 were decent, drinkable beers while clearly being lager-like - e.g., not showing much estery quality - and useful to show how most of the original ales in North America morphed into a kind of semi-lager by the early 1900's. He was less enamored of Keith's IPA and I must say this particular sample was a little dull, I've had it in better shape. Molson XXX impressed him mostly by its alcohol level although we agreed it was nice that Molson reached back to the 1800's for the name XXX and that the alcohol level (between 7 and 8% ABV) did characterize some beer of that description back then. We did sample some craft beer, a can of Cutthroat from Tree Brewing which we both liked a lot, and some Best Bitter Special and Hopping Mad in cask form at the Granite. Ron was quite impressed with the Best Bitter Special which he felt had a decided English note, probably from one of the hops used. Ron liked Festiveale a lot from Beau too, feeling it offered good authenticity of style (german alt-type).

A genial and always inspiring figure is Mr. P due to his great knowledge of historical styles in all the main national traditions, not just those of his native England.

Gary
Gary Gillman

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

Hop Drop 'n Roll IPA, from NoDa Brewing Co. in Charlotte, NC
- 16 oz can

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Today at the Royal Ontario Golf Club in Hornby:
Triple Bogey Premium Lager (can)
Brick Waterloo Classic Pilsner (can)

Right now:
Cameron's California Sunshine APA
hopdevil wrote:Hop Drop 'n Roll IPA, from NoDa Brewing Co. in Charlotte, NC
- 16 oz can
Was fortunate enough to find this on tap at Charlotte Douglas airport and it's a truly excellent IPA.

Grey

Post by Grey »

at Loose Moose:
Kensington FishEye
Great Lakes Limp Puppet

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Last night at Hungry Brew Hops for the GLb feature

Ezra
Belgian Farmhouse Ale
Swamp Juice IPA blend #2