Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

just had the GLB ezra ale. great stuff

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Having a Tree Cutthroat right now. Have to say I'm underwhelmed and disappointed.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Cutthroat too, consumed a few minutes ago and arriving here to comment on it I see Jordan's note just above where he is underwhelmed. I respect his palate but I like it a lot, the white pith citrus/pine of West Coast hop varieties is moderated by use of other varieties, e.g. Golding, and the malt base is very rich and balances off the hops just fine. As always taste is subjective and relative, but I think it's excellent.

Gary
Gary Gillman

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

^ and ^^ --I find Cutthroat is more that caramelly malty type of pale ale like Publican or Conductor's, which are quite unlike pales such as Detour, Naughty Neighbour or Rhyme&Reason.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

G.M. Gillman wrote:Cutthroat too, consumed a few minutes ago and arriving here to comment on it I see Jordan's note just above where he is underwhelmed. I respect his palate but I like it a lot, the white pith citrus/pine of West Coast hop varieties is moderated by use of other varieties, e.g. Golding, and the malt base is very rich and balances off the hops just fine. As always taste is subjective and relative, but I think it's excellent.

Gary
schomberger wrote:^ and ^^ --I find Cutthroat is more that caramelly malty type of pale ale like Publican or Conductor's, which are quite unlike pales such as Detour, Naughty Neighbour or Rhyme&Reason.
Taste certainly is subjective and relative......and for me, I also find it can be inconsistent. Maybe the timing just wasn't right for me, or my hope and expectation affected my perception. Good comments on beers to compare to. I like them all, but was probably thinking Detour/NN/R&R when I had this, not Publican/Conductors.

Anyway, I have another one that I'll have in the next few days.

P.S. I'm not Jordan :wink:

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
P.S. I'm not Jordan :wink:
Wait if you're not Jordan, than that means.....
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

schomberger wrote:^ and ^^ --I find Cutthroat is more that caramelly malty type of pale ale like Publican or Conductor's, which are quite unlike pales such as Detour, Naughty Neighbour or Rhyme&Reason.
Yes, I agree. I prefer the Cutthroat/Square Nail/Conductors varietal myself (also: I urge you to try Nickel Brook ESB if you can get it) but I know many others on here favour the other style. For example, I've been a bit mystified by all the love for Rhyme & Reason / Saint of Circumstance (even though I love several other beers by this brewmaster). So taste is personal, for sure.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

midlife crisis wrote: I urge you to try Nickel Brook ESB if you can get it
I've had it. Very good. I'm thinking more and more that my 'dislike' for Cutthroat was probably influenced by a false expectation of what it was.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
midlife crisis wrote: I urge you to try Nickel Brook ESB if you can get it
I've had it. Very good. I'm thinking more and more that my 'dislike' for Cutthroat was probably influenced by a false expectation of what it was.
Oh geez, just noticed you live in Burlington! Piece of cake for you.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the weekend at Bar Hop, Milos' Craft Beer Emporium, and home:
Bellwoods Viking Grave (draught)
Indie Alehouse Couch Surfer (cask)
Bellwoods Donkey Venom (draught)
Bellwoods Cat Lady (draught)
Amsterdam Blacklight (draught)
Forked River Mojo (draught)
Block Three Florida Olde Ale (draught)
Nickel Brook Green Light Berliner Weisse (draught)
Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen Zwet.Be (sample)
Beer Lab Saison (sample)
Pyramid Outburst Imperial IPA (bottle)
Tree Mellow Moon Pineapple Hefeweizen (bottle)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Sorry about the name error. I agree about the malty vs. dry styles, kind of like bitter vs. spacial bitter in England but in North American terms.

Gary
Gary Gillman

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Stratford Pilsener, in Stratford at Bentley's on the main strip. Excellent, rich-tasting, with a characteristic yeast background that is typically German/Czech, not the sulfur kind, but another kind I find hard to describe, medicinal maybe. It's good in TO when you see it here but better on the home ground.

Gary
Gary Gillman

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

This past weekend, all from the LCBO.

The Princess Wears Girlpants (Sawdust City) - Fantastic!
Mellow Moon Pineapple Hefeweizen (Tree) - Great summer sipper!
Hoperation Tripel Cross IPA (Phillips) - Your typical Belgian IPA but still very tasty.
Belgian Cherry IPA (Mill St.)
^^^Hop-head ^^^

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

Having a Dunham LaPatt Robuste Porter for the first time, would certainly drink this again and again.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'm drinking Sprite, from the McDonalds soda fountain. Diluting this 1:1 with water from the still water dispenser recreates the historical Lymon style of pre-1960's Sprite.
In Beerum Veritas