Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

at bier markt mississauga:
rodenbach grand cru
la trappe quadrupel
central city red racer pale ale

at home:
founders imperial stout
collective arts rhyme & reason
jolly pumpkin calabaza blanca

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Celebrating our anniversary with that bottle of Deus I've been saving...Cheers, everyone! :P
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Amsterdam Oyster Stout at Volo, by far the best I've had anywhere with the correct mineral (not fishy) note and a good malty background, it disappeared too fast from the blackboard… Sidelaunch Pale Ale, also at Volo, very balanced, a rich interpretation of APA, tops. Best Bitter Special at Granite, very English-tasting these days, improved from past years IMO.

Gary
Gary Gillman

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the weekend at J. Ryan's Pub, World Of Beer, The Blue Tusk, and Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in Syracuse, NY:
Jack’s Abby Leisure Time Lager (draft)
Founder's Oatmeal Stout (nitro)
Beachwood / Heretic / Stone Unapologetic IPA (draft)
Ommegang Cooperstown Ale (draft)
21st Amendment Bitter American (draft)
Boulder Beer 35th Anniversary Imperial Black IPA (draft)
Dark Horse Edacsac Dekoorc Eert (draft)
Middle Ages Dino Smoked Porter (draft)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

India Ale House Instigator bottled, aged about 8 months at room temperature. Unlike a fellow bottle tried one month ago, this one shows no, or perhaps only the slightest, brett development. It is very fresh, not a hint of damp paper oxidation or other tired flavour, e.g. the "old red wine" taste. It shows that a bottle-conditioned product, well- packaged, can last long time in great shape. You can tell through the extra CO2 there has been some real conditioning, the body is lighter than the new Instigator and the hop and malt taste very tightly blended. IMO similar to what the best long-aged IPAs of the 1800's were like.

Gary
Gary Gillman

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Due to the muggy weather its a Saison kinda night.
Nickelbrook Paysan Saison. A good beer, best saison i've had from Ontario, however, due to the price, I doubt i'd buy it again.

Wellington Rhubarb Saison. Again, a decent enough drink, but overpriced. I'm honestly not sure if i'd be able to tell you there was rhubarb in here if i didnt know. There is really nice acidity to it due to the rhubarb and a touch of dirty/earthiness, but i don't get the flavour. I will say though, that it's really refreshing and maybe the best one-off i've had from Wellington

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Revolution Brewing's Straight Jacket... a 13% bourbon barrel aged barley wine from Chicago that isn't owned by InBev and delivers in spades... new kid on the block?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Rochefort 10 from last year, still amazingly the 10th top ranked beer in the world (and the 2nd top ranked I've actually tasted, after Westvleteren 12 which still sits at #1.)

It's cool that some other old favorites like Péché Mortél and Stone IRS are hanging in on the RateBeer Top 50, despite the constant barrage of new and pretty excellent beers emerging on the market to compete with the really solid classics.

Also don't forget as many people hate Orval as love it, so take the rankings and ratings with a grain of brewer's yeast...
In Beerum Veritas

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

cratez wrote: Dark Horse Edacsac Dekoorc Eert (draft)
i picked up the mixed 12 pack of these at premier last week and this one was probably my favourite other than the regular crooked tree. did they have others on tap as well?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Calabaza Blanca by Jolly Pumpkin
Weizen Bam Bière by Jolly Pumpkin
Ginormous by Gigantic Brewing
Jever Pilsener - finally we have fresh stuff on the shelves, BB 24 July 2015. Previous stock BB date was February 2014!! I was pleasantly surprised by this Pilsener. Super fresh, clean with a nice bite.
Hottenroth by The Bruery
Matilda 2014 by Goose Island - Lovely packaging with a weird size bottle, 765ml. Beer is equally as lovely.
Sofie 2014 by Goose Island. Great white wine character shows through.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Rounding out our Syracuse tour at Alto Cinco and Empire Brewing Co:
North Coast Scrimshaw Pilsner (draft)
Anderson Valley Highway 128 The Kimmie, The Yink, and the Holy Gose (draft)
Middle Ages Swallow Wit (bottle)
Empire Black Magic Stout (draft)
Empire The Empire Strikes Bock (draft)

Then grabbed some Union Jack, Rare Vos, Double Jack, Orval, and Flower Power from Stafford Convenience. Nice little store with a decent selection and pleasant owner, but Brilbeck's is a cut above this place.
ckoop wrote:
cratez wrote: Dark Horse Edacsac Dekoorc Eert (draft)
i picked up the mixed 12 pack of these at premier last week and this one was probably my favourite other than the regular crooked tree. did they have others on tap as well?
Yeah they had three Dark Horse single hop IPAs on tap; I just asked the server for the most citric of the three and he poured the Edacsac.
Torontoblue wrote: Jever Pilsener - finally we have fresh stuff on the shelves, BB 24 July 2015. Previous stock BB date was February 2014!! I was pleasantly surprised by this Pilsener. Super fresh, clean with a nice bite.
Agreed. Here in Ontario we lack a broad selection of good, authentic pilsners, but Jever fits that bill. It's become my go-to quencher this summer, and at $2.25 a can the price is right as well.
Last edited by cratez on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Driftwood Belle Royale - Big tart cherry sour
Bruery The Wanderer - Interesting comparison, not as fruity, far more oak.
Schells Framboise du Nord - Should have bought 12
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Grand Imperial Porter I bought in the main square at Gdansk, pretty decent brew but so damn heavy in the baggage, LOL never worth it.

Fuller’s Brewer’s Reserve Limited Edition No 4 Oak Aged Ale Armagnac - They are just such a nice brewery! This has a shot of sleek brandy and winey nuances over the totally great alefruits and superb malting - the spirit is not as forceful as Armagnac's big cousin, Cognac and it suits well with the ale. Wow.
In Beerum Veritas

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

Highlights from the weekend:

Calabaza Blanca
Westvleteren 12 (for the first and second time)
Sofie
Founders Breakfast stout
..... and a lot of Karma Citra

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

DDC Solstice D'Ete Cerise
Cigar City Jai Alai
HF/Blaugies Sarrasin
Flying Monkeys BNL

Cerise isn't Framboise, but fuck is it good. They need to bottle more of that series. Sarrasin was mindblowing. Thanks, Ian. I'll need to look into getting another bottle. BNL is gross. Sorry to any of you that still have a bottle.