Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

ten fidy is pretty delicious stuff, but 18.99 for a four pack? Yikes!
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

Grey

Post by Grey »

At loose moose: Nickel Brook maple porter
Right now at bar hop: GLB & Amsterdam Life Sentence (this has to be flying under the radar)

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

mgmoney wrote:ten fidy is pretty delicious stuff, but 18.99 for a four pack? Yikes!
It's $22.99 to $23.99 in Alberta....the Province that has lower taxes than BC. Liquor stores or agency gouging us?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

BakaGaijin wrote:
Derek wrote:Ten Fidy.

At $18.99 a 4 pack it isn't outrageously expensive, but I really ought to brew an imperial stout.

It is soooooo good though!
I paid $15.99 for a 4 pack in Buffalo the other day and I thought that was expensive. It's not like this is barrel aged. Narwahl was $9.99 and was really good too.

I agree that Ten Fidy is really good though.
15.99 USD is currently $18 canadian... Adding another buck for import and shipping seems like a pretty good deal to me!

We do have some decent seasonal locals, but driftwood is in bombers and Howe sound is in 1L bottles. I'd probably drink more if they were offered in a reasonable serving size.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Last night at Wvrst:

Nickelbrook Wet hop - so delicious. Super juicy hops, low bitterness, I could have had three of them.

5 paddles Midnight Paddler - Was listed as a stout at the bar, was decent, but a bit too bitter and not as big a mouthfeel as I would have liked.

However, untappd has it listed as a Black IPA. I don't know what to think now.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Rochefort 10, memories of completely ice-covered roads when I got this at Dufferin and Wilson... Put an Achel Bruin and Orval in the fridge, hallelujah Trappist ales.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Homebrewed belgian dark that came in at 9.2%. I like it, but I think I'll brew it again with D90 sugar rather than D180. That Weyermann special W is really nice though.

Followed by a Rochefort 8, also 9.2%. Even with Lots of age, this is riddled with tertiary alcohols. I prefer their 6.

Followed by a Rochefort 10. Better than the 8, but FAR from my favourite quad.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

six point resin, very nice DIPA
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

admviolin wrote:Last night at Wvrst:

Nickelbrook Wet hop - so delicious. Super juicy hops, low bitterness, I could have had three of them.

5 paddles Midnight Paddler - Was listed as a stout at the bar, was decent, but a bit too bitter and not as big a mouthfeel as I would have liked.

However, untappd has it listed as a Black IPA. I don't know what to think now.
Drank a he NB Wet Hop the other night and really enjoyed it.

Tonight:

Delirium Tremens
Twice as Mad Tom IPA
Boneshaker
Bells Two-Hearted Ale
Heady Topper
Last edited by BakaGaijin on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Did a weekend tour of the Kitchener-Waterloo beer spots with the incredibly hospitable NRman and Bearing. Enjoyed the following at Beertown, Brick, Imbibe, The Bent Elbow, Kickoff, Block Three, Innocente, and Borealis:

Paulaner Oktoberfest Bier (draft)
Block Three King Street Saison (draft)
Brick Waterloo Classic Pilsner (sample)
Brick Waterloo IPA (sample)
Block Three Blocktoberfest (draft)
Sawdust City Ol’ Woody Alt (sample)
Block Three Iron Horse Dunkel (sample)
Nickel Brook Cause & Effect Blonde (sample)
Grand River E-I-E-I OPA (sample)
Nickel Brook Naughty Neighbour Pale Ale (sample)
Rogue Brutal IPA (draft)
Black Swan Porter (sample)
Muskoka Harvest Ale (draft)
Wellington Carved Out Pumpkin (sample)
St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout (draft)
Sawdust City Lone Pine IPA (draft)
Zywiec Porter (sample)
Block Three Living In Colour BPA (sample)
Block Three Monk’s Punk Coffee Belgian Amber (sample)
Innocente No Marzen For Error (sample)
Innocente Bystander APA (sample)
Innocente Glance Rye Pale Ale (sample)
Innocente Conscience American IPA (sample)
Sierra Nevada Snow Wit White IPA (sample)
Sierra Nevada Blindfold Black IPA (sample)
Beau's Nightmärzen Oktoberfest Lager (draft)

Then at home:
Green Flash Hop Odyssey Citra Session IPA
Anchor Big Leaf Maple Autumn Red
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Last night:

La Trappe Tripel
Rochefort 8
Rochefort 10
Brewdog Old World Imperial Stout
Yo-Ho Brewing Hare No Hi Sennin Barleywine

I have been underwhelmed by the majority of Japanese beers that I have tried (and I have had many) but the Yo-Ho Barleywine was amazing.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

It was the official launch of Stone in Edmonton tonight....of course Clagary got there before us last night ;)

Start the night off with something 'lite" Stone IPA
Then wrongly Ruination IPA
But back on track with Stone Saison
Matt's Burning Rosids smoked Saison
Spröcketbier (Black Rye Kölsch)
Stone Cali-Belgique IPA
Stone Go To IPA
Stone Coffee Milk Stout
Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA - Always a favourite
Stochasticity Project: Hibiscusicity - too flowery/perfumey
Stochasticity Project: Quadrotriticale - light bodied for a quad
Old Guardian Barley Wine
Stone Imperial Russian Stout
Stone Imperial Russian Stout

A rather pleasant evening.

Really looking forward to having Stone in AB!

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Wizard Wolf for me tonight. Crushable.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the last few nights at home:
Block Three Living in Colour (growler) - good session-stength BPA with big spicy-citrusy-yeasty notes and a slight nuttiness as well. More body than I expected for the weight (4.7%); this drinks like a drier, hoppier version of Black Oak Saison.
Anchor Porter - retrying after several years, this is more English in character than I remember, with the Northern Brewer hops adding grassy-minty notes and the flavour exhibiting some very faint diacetyl. And yet it still hits the American/Robust style with its near-black appearance, hop-forward aroma and taste, and medium-full body. A unique take, that's for sure.
Boulevard Smokestack Series - Double Wide I.P.A. - gargantuan nose blasts the senses with huge citric, resinous, and piney hop aromas. Flavour is similarly massive but with a noticeable caramel sweetness to even things out. An excellent DIPA.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Went to the Tree Institute last night for their weekly cask. It was the pale ale aged on oak, with red wine. Well-carbed and silky smooth, but I opted for a brauler of the hop head.

Unfiltered hop head has the drinkability of the Sierra nevada pale ale, with the flavour of an ipa. It seems drier than the brewery version too... Really great stuff.