Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Craig wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
mgmoney wrote:Bellwood's Witchshark...best Ontario DIPA?
Personally, I prefer both Robo Hop and Boogie Monster, but you can't go wrong with any of the 3!
I'd go with 10 Bitter years too. All great beers though, amazing how Ontario has progressed in that area.
10 Bitter Years has been consistently disappointing. The first 2-3 batches of that beer were the best they've ever made, all downhill since. I wouldn't put 10BY even in a top 10 Ontario DIPA conversation.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

liamt07 wrote:
Craig wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:Personally, I prefer both Robo Hop and Boogie Monster, but you can't go wrong with any of the 3!
I'd go with 10 Bitter years too. All great beers though, amazing how Ontario has progressed in that area.
10 Bitter Years has been consistently disappointing. The first 2-3 batches of that beer were the best they've ever made, all downhill since. I wouldn't put 10BY even in a top 10 Ontario DIPA conversation.
I agree with everything you said Liam. I didn't exclude it from my list by accident :)

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

No kidding? The last bottle I had was last year, but it was still great.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Craig wrote:No kidding? The last bottle I had was last year, but it was still great.
That would have been one of the newer batches that we are referring to. Did you have any of the early batches? I think the first 3 batches were all top notch and then it went downhill from there (When they lost their head brewer).

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Craig wrote:No kidding? The last bottle I had was last year, but it was still great.
That would have been one of the newer batches that we are referring to. Did you have any of the early batches? I think the first 3 batches were all top notch and then it went downhill from there (When they lost their head brewer).
Yeah, I've had it a bunch of times. Just didn't get one this year because Great Lakes kept releasing things I wanted to try more.

Have they really only made like 4 batches of it? I figured they were pumping out several batches a year.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Craig wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Yeah, I've had it a bunch of times. Just didn't get one this year because Great Lakes kept releasing things I wanted to try more.

Have they really only made like 4 batches of it? I figured they were pumping out several batches a year.
I think they have done more than 4. There have been at least a couple of sub-par batches. And I stopped paying attention many months ago.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Grand River Highballer Pumpkin Ale :evil:

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

liamt07 wrote:
Craig wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:Personally, I prefer both Robo Hop and Boogie Monster, but you can't go wrong with any of the 3!
This. Sad, but true.

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

LTM Porter Baltique Brandy/Bourbon 2013 - first time on this. Very good.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Earlier - Bellwoods Grandma's Boy (Batch 2) Tripel barrel-aged with Brett and then with yellow plums. Holyfuck amazing. I would rush your GTA ass down here to enjoy this exceptional batch, very plummy/apricot-y and the brett sets it off really well. Insanely integrated. Also on tap- Skeleton Key for those that want this gorgeous elixir.

Now - a Founders Centennial, and a sad reflection on our monopoly's (tenuous at best) relationship to top-flight USA craft brewers.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Adrian left quite a while ago... I did have it again last fall, and I thought it was really great.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

liamt07 wrote:
Craig wrote:
Could this have to do with freshness? I last had this beer about 1 1/2 ago and thought it was nice but haven't bought it since because I can never see bottle dates on them.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Lagunitas A Little Sumpin Extra ale
A couple of Ally Kat's Old Deuteronomy, cask conditioned 2nd runnings of this much missed ale
North Coast Old Rasputin
Then back at home:
Sierra Nevada Ovila Quad with plums
Black Diamond Peak XV Imperial porter

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Belgian wrote:Earlier - Bellwoods Grandma's Boy (Batch 2) Tripel barrel-aged with Brett and then with yellow plums. Holyfuck amazing. I would rush your GTA ass down here to enjoy this exceptional batch, very plummy/apricot-y and the brett sets it off really well. Insanely integrated.
This should be available for retail in a few weeks once it's properly bottle conditioned shouldn't it?

Last night:

Foothills Hoppyum
Foothills Peoples Porter
Amsterdam Boneshaker
Mikkeller Texas Ranger
Mikkeller Monks Brew

I really enjoyed the Texas Ranger.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
liamt07 wrote:
Craig wrote: I'd go with 10 Bitter years too. All great beers though, amazing how Ontario has progressed in that area.
I agree with everything you said Liam. I didn't exclude it from my list by accident :)
Agreed on 10BY. But, I think the same about Witchshark, honestly.....and everything hoppy that they do. All OK, but nowhere near what they use to be. Bellwoods still nails every stout, strong or sour they do, but their hoppy offerings have been consistently lacklustre for about a year now. I don't get the love, but I know I'm in a very small minority.