Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

boney wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
liamt07 wrote: 10 Bitter Years has been consistently disappointing. The first 2-3 batches of that beer were the best they've ever made, all downhill since. I wouldn't put 10BY even in a top 10 Ontario DIPA conversation.
I agree with everything you said Liam. I didn't exclude it from my list by accident :)
Agreed on 10BY. But, I think the same about Witchshark, honestly.....and everything hoppy that they do. All OK, but nowhere near what they use to be. Bellwoods still nails every stout, strong or sour they do, but their hoppy offerings have been consistently lacklustre for about a year now. I don't get the love, but I know I'm in a very small minority.
totally agree about the bellwoods hoppy stuff. the only hoppy beer ive had from them that was better then meh was the monogamy nelson.

skeleton key on the other hand - MIND BLOWN

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

matt7215 wrote:
boney wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:I agree with everything you said Liam. I didn't exclude it from my list by accident :)
Agreed on 10BY. But, I think the same about Witchshark, honestly.....and everything hoppy that they do. All OK, but nowhere near what they use to be. Bellwoods still nails every stout, strong or sour they do, but their hoppy offerings have been consistently lacklustre for about a year now. I don't get the love, but I know I'm in a very small minority.
totally agree about the bellwoods hoppy stuff. the only hoppy beer ive had from them that was better then meh was the monogamy nelson.

skeleton key on the other hand - MIND BLOWN
Monogamy Nelson was unreal. Other than that I've never been impressed by their hoppy stuff.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

J343MY wrote:Monogamy Nelson was unreal. Other than that I've never been impressed by their hoppy stuff.
^ About the same for me. I like many of Bellwoods beer styles better than their Imperial / Pale Ales (Stay Classy is a fine fall-back besides some of the Monogamy series.)

And I'm sure there are many IPAs we'd disagree on.
In Beerum Veritas

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I agree with Witchshark, but the Roman Candle I had this spring was by far the best hop-forward pale ale I have had from Canada.

The variance in hop opinions can sometimes be split among those who like dry west coast style hop beers, and those that prefer sweeter, maltier versions.

But then again consistency of quality is difficult to obtain with a varying hop harvest. Its so damn hard getting a consistent product (pellet hops) in sufficient quantity, brewers are forced to deal with multiple suppliers and this can end up influencing the end product.

But that Roman Candle... oh man was it ever good. The witch shark from the same release was nowhere near.

Its so awesome that getting a decent IPA is getting to be a question of choice rather than availability.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

I do think Bellwoods' hoppy beers vary from batch to batch. I haven't had a really good Witchshark in awhile (adored it in the beginning). Roman Candle goes up and down- sometimes it is outstanding, sometimes just good.
Stay Classy is consistent and really enjoyable. Amazing that much flavour is in a 2.8% beer! Brings the term "session beer" to new levels.
Ren

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

iguenard wrote:But then again consistency of quality is difficult to obtain with a varying hop harvest. Its so damn hard getting a consistent product (pellet hops) in sufficient quantity, brewers are forced to deal with multiple suppliers and this can end up influencing the end product.
I remember some drastically inferior Rogue Brutal when there was a hop shortage, it was a mess. And Rogue is a sizeable USA micro. Have no idea how Stone and even Sierra Nevada stay pretty much consistent, except that the relative size of the brewery and the locations give each a favorable access to a more consistent supply of hops.

Maybe, too they have enough experience to compensate for variances in the different hops. This is like a good chef who knows each growing season brings out different qualities in the ingredients that affect the flavor balance - particularly herbs.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I agree with Ian about Roman Candle...had some early summer / late spring? Absolutely great...tend to prefer it over Witchshark.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the weekend at home and at beerbistro:
Allagash Saison
Deschutes Jubelale
North Coast Pranqster
Sawdust City Lone Pine IPA
New Holland Michigan Awesome Hatter
New Holland Rye Hatter
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Brux

Post by Brux »

We're at the yearly turning point for hoppy beers to go from meh to wow. The 2013 crop is still about while the 2014 crop is just around the corner and should be hitting breweries in pellet form soon.

If you ever wondered why Pliny the Younger, Hopslam, Immodest and a bunch of super-hopped beers come out early in the year, it's because the new crop just arrived and is at its peak aroma.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace - You should all be drinking this right now!!!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

What's the bottle date on that Sorachi Ace?
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

mgmoney wrote:What's the bottle date on that Sorachi Ace?
The date on both my bottles is mostly rubbed off but I think it says BB May 2017. Didn't see a production date.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

deepeary wrote:
mgmoney wrote:What's the bottle date on that Sorachi Ace?
The date on both my bottles is mostly rubbed off but I think it says BB May 2017. Didn't see a production date.
That's what mine says too. So, maybe bottled in May? Still...plenty of juicy hop aroma. I have had this once before a few years ago, but don't remember it smelling or tasting anything like this. Must've been a older bottle.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

skootles

Post by skootles »

Dieu Du Ciel's Péché Mortel for me tonight.

Grabbed a bunch of them + the Aphrodisiaque the last time I was in Ottawa. $2.89 a bottle, I couldn't resist.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Archor Porter, extremely pleased to have this here. I've bought this in Buffalo a few times.

Speak of that, there's Founders Centennial IPA at LCBO Cooper Street. Hard to beat & an IPA that will soon be a long, stupid drive away... enjoy.

(* butter seared Bavette steak with Kozlik's Daily Dijon *)
In Beerum Veritas