Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

A 3:1:1 blend of Russian Gun, Arcadia London-style Porter and Nicklebrook's Bolshevik Bastard. In my view, this vatting brings out the best of each beer. The result is very similar to Courage Imperial Russian Stout.

Side by side I think even many old hands would have difficulty deciding which was which.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Soods

Post by Soods »

This weekend:

Broadhead's Amarillo Texax Chainsaw Massacre
Beyond the Pale Imperial Stout
Dominion Brewing Earl Grey Marmalade Saison
Broken Stick Tipsy Pale Ale
Broken Stick IPA #1
Broken Stick IPA #2
Rodenbach Grand Cru

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the weekend at Bar Hop, Mill Street Brew Pub, and home:
BrewDog Punk IPA (draft)
Bellwoods Dry Stout w/ Cherries (draft)
Bellwoods Brettal Head (draft)
Mill Street Minimus Dubbel (sample)
Mill Street IPA (draft)
Smuttynose Robust Porter (bottle)
2 x Central City Red Racer IPA (can)
Soods wrote:This weekend:
Broadhead's Amarillo Texax Chainsaw Massacre
Beyond the Pale Imperial Stout
Dominion Brewing Earl Grey Marmalade Saison
Rodenbach Grand Cru
At Brothers, by chance?
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Soods

Post by Soods »

cratez wrote: At Brothers, by chance?
Most definitely. First time there. Sat at the bar and it seemed almost like an oasis in Ottawa. :D

Great place and would be my first stop when I'm back in the vicinity.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Good ol' SN Bigfoot 2014. Really has a nice, sharp hop bite this year. Really good.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Soods wrote:
cratez wrote: At Brothers, by chance?
Most definitely. First time there. Sat at the bar and it seemed almost like an oasis in Ottawa. :D

Great place and would be my first stop when I'm back in the vicinity.
Hpw dare you come in town and not let me know! ;)

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Soods wrote: Most definitely. First time there. Sat at the bar... Great place and would be my first stop when I'm back in the vicinity.
I was equally impressed a couple weeks back. Solid food, attentive service, chatty patrons, and a stellar draft list. The limited hours and handful of local taps came as a surprise, but I went early and managed to find a tasty Beau's beer I hadn't tried, so it was all good. Glad to hear you enjoyed it as well.
iguenard wrote: How dare you come in town and not let me know! ;)
Not sure whether you were referring to Soods, myself, or both of us, but I should be back in Ottawa next March and would be happy to meet up for beers. :D
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

Last night was Big Rock Saaz Pilz and St Ambroise Pale Ale

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Fat man red suit big sack.

So far this craft beer advent calendar has been a real step up from previous years (with the exception of a UK ESB that went off).

Yesterday it was an (intentionally) sour Krampus from Italy, which was really great, but unfortunately seemed to get many drain pours.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Derek wrote:Fat man red suit big sack.

So far this craft beer advent calendar has been a real step up from previous years (with the exception of a UK ESB that went off).

Yesterday it was an (intentionally) sour Krampus from Italy, which was really great, but unfortunately seemed to get many drain pours.
Yeah. I've been seeing some of the comments role in from the West about it. Some interesting descriptions from people who don't seem to be at too familiar with sours. Craft Beer Importers even had to take to social media and explain that it was intentionally sour and defend their decision to put in a beer that might bot be for everyone. I had krampus several years ago and highly enjoyed it.

It's a tough call to include those kinds of beer or not. I suspect that there are just as many non-or newly minted beer geeks that get the Advent Calendar as seasoned beer geeks because it's kind of a fun pre-Christmas gift with wide appeal and craft beer is super trendy.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Over the weekend in NYC:

Brooklyn Lager (Bottle)
Brooklyn Pilsner (Bottle)
Firestone Walker Union Jack (Draft)
Sixpoint Sensi (Draft)
Arcadia HopMouth (Draft)
Two Roads Ol’ Factory Pilsner (Draft)
Bell's Oberon Ale (Can)
Heavy Seas Powder Monkey (Cask)
Ithaca Flower Power IPA (Draft)
Left Hand Milk Stout (Bottle)
Founders Breakfast Stout (Draft)
Allagash Saison (Draft)
Great Divide Titan IPA (Draft)
Barrier Rembrandt Porter (Draft)
Butternuts Porkslap Pale Ale (Can)
Last edited by beerstodiscover on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

skootles

Post by skootles »

Peche Mortel, the regular non-barrel aged version. I grabbed a bunch of these in the summer when I was in Ottawa (hopped over the river to Hull and stocked up). Glad to see that it's also coming to the LCBO in the new year, I won't have to waste space in my suitcase when I go to Montreal in January.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Milos' Craft Beer Emporium and some gatherings in London:
Great Lakes Citraddiction (draft)
Left Field Prospect IPA: Cascade (draft)
Block Three Pushbroom Porter (draft)
Bellwoods Catherine Wheel (draft)
Strathroy 1812 Independence Pale Ale (sample)
Pilsner Urquell (can)
Black Oak Nutcracker Porter (bottle)
Great Lakes Lake Effect IPA (bottle)
Black Oak Barrel Aged Saison - Pinot Noir (bottle)

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

boney wrote:
Derek wrote:Fat man red suit big sack.

Yeah. I've been seeing some of the comments role in from the West about it. Some interesting descriptions from people who don't seem to be at too familiar with sours. Craft Beer Importers even had to take to social media and explain that it was intentionally sour and defend their decision to put in a beer that might bot be for everyone. I had krampus several years ago and highly enjoyed it.

It's a tough call to include those kinds of beer or not. I suspect that there are just as many non-or newly minted beer geeks that get the Advent Calendar as seasoned beer geeks because it's kind of a fun pre-Christmas gift with wide appeal and craft beer is super trendy.
It was pretty sour... When I poured it I got a whiff of the aroma and literally said woah. I checked the back label and saw it was supposed to be sour, gave it a try and initially wasn't sure I could drink it (Although I love Brett, I don't tend to like sours and really dislike lactobacillus). But after that initial puckering sourness subsided I found an incredible depth of flavour. I really enjoyed the balance of funk! I actually considered transferring a bit of beer from a carboy to get a culture going, but given the mix of bugs, I would probably be unlikely to get the same flavours.

This was a 7% batch that was only bottled for the advent calendar. Given the nature of the bugs, I'm not sure how similar it was to the previous 9% releases, but I loved it. I didn't really get any Christmas spice though.

Today it's a Weltenburger Anno 1050. Decent enough...

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Drinking a 2014 nicklebrook bastard ris - this batch seems much better than I remember.