Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Sawdust City Lone Pine IPA......while putting up the Christmas tree.

Perfect! :)

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

spinrsx wrote:Drinking a 2014 nicklebrook bastard ris - this batch seems much better than I remember.
Agreed. The 2014 is sublime.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:
spinrsx wrote:Drinking a 2014 nicklebrook bastard ris - this batch seems much better than I remember.
Agreed. The 2014 is sublime.
I also wasn't impressed with the initial unoaked Bolshevik, but loved the Winey and Kentucky so this is cool like Miles Davis.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the weekend at home:
Anchor Porter
Great Lakes Lake Effect IPA
Ommegang Valar Morghulis Dubbel Ale
Amsterdam Boneshaker IPA
Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout
Amsterdam 416 Local Lager
Fuller's Imperial Stout
Pilsner Urquell
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Nickel Brook X Stone City Sons Of Sydenham - Draft @ Thirsty & Transmissible. Wow, American wheat? It's like an amazing session IPA without any cumbersome bitterness. Get the F down here for a pint, this is very good, probably IPA territory for a Wheat Ale. Think grapefruit in a totally good way, better than nearly any hoppy Ontario beer I've tried including best efforts from GLB Muskoka and Bellwoods.

Also Nickel Brook Pissed off Pete's Pumpkin Porter, all I could think of is Gary blending beers and causing civil unrest in the BT community... God bless you sir. It was good, glad to try it.

Long chat with a gent named Brian at TAM - there are people who are new to craft beer, I mean last two years amd they are dedicated to trying 1000-2000 beers per year. That's a ridiculous and admirable goal. We spoke of Montreal, Vermont, Ontario, Buffalo, NYC and some place called Bamberg in Germany that has beers made with beechwood-kilned malts.
Last edited by Belgian on Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Belgian wrote:Nickel Brook X Stone City Sons Of Sydenham - Draft @ Thirsty & Transmissible. Wow, American wheat? It's like an amazing session IPA without any cumbersome bitterness. Get the F down here for a pint, this is very good, probably IPA territory for a Wheat Ale. Think grapefruit in a totally good way, better than nearly any hoppy Ontario beer I've tried including best efforts from GLB Muskoka and Bellwoods.

Also Nickel Brook Pissed off Pete's Pumpkin Ale, all I could think of is Gary blending beers and causing civil unrest in the BT community... God bless you sir. It was good.

Long chat with a gent named Brian at TAM - there are people who are new to craft beer, I mean last two years amd they are dedicated to trying 1000-2000 beers per year. That's a ridiculous and admirable goal. We spoke of Montreal, Vermont, Ontario, Buffalo, NYC and some place called Bamberg in Germany that has beers made with beechwood-kilned malts.
Yep, stone city's SOS is so good, easily the best thing they've brewed to date.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

sawdust city lone pine ipa, really excellent stuff. followed by pilsner urquell

skootles

Post by skootles »

Was drinking a Roman Candle by Bellwoods earlier. I didn't like it that much it when I first tried it but it's definitely grown on me.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

skootles wrote:Was drinking a Roman Candle by Bellwoods earlier. I didn't like it that much it when I first tried it but it's definitely grown on me.
^ No the IPA is not bad. I prefer the Monogamy APAs even though we're not comparing like styles. Bellwoods has cool stuff on offer.
In Beerum Veritas

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Sigtuna's Midvinter Blot, an 8% Imperial Porter. This is very impressively hopped, against a dark brown lightly sweet malty/fruity base. Label claims 120 IBUs and I'd guess very comparable to historical export porter levels.

A keeper since in about 12 or 24 months I'd think the bitterness would relax and the underlying malt and ester qualities would show up more.

But very good now, a traditional porter 100%.

Gary
Gary Gillman

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

Wellington's Sleet Wheat Wine. Pretty tasty once it's warmed up a bit.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Belgian wrote:Nickel Brook X Stone City Sons Of Sydenham - Draft @ Thirsty & Transmissible. Wow, American wheat? It's like an amazing session IPA without any cumbersome bitterness. Get the F down here for a pint, this is very good, probably IPA territory for a Wheat Ale. Think grapefruit in a totally good way, better than nearly any hoppy Ontario beer I've tried including best efforts from GLB Muskoka and Bellwoods.
Had a couple of pints @ Bryden's this week and was equally impressed. Wouldn't say best hoppy beer in Ontario, but I would say that this is the best new Ontario beer I had in 2014 not brewed by Bellwoods or Great Lakes.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Last night with J343MY and JB84:

Barncat Can't Believe It's Not Brett
Hill Farmstead Nordic Saison
Mikkeller Beer Geek Dessert
Hill Farmstead Sue
Barncat Vanilla Latte
Half Acre Heyoka
Arcade Graveyard Shift
Pipeworks Mocha Abduction
Stone Stochasticity Master of Disguise
Anderson Valley The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose Ale
Stone Coffee Milk Stout
Lafunitas DayTime Fractional IPA
Smuttynose Robust Porter
St-Feuillien Saison
Samichlaus
"There's always money in the banana stand."

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Rocking my world with Wychwood Hobgoblin (Pasteurised). Actually this brewer's ales go well with Indian food I gotta say (from Cinnamon in the Beach)! The variety four pack was decent.
In Beerum Veritas

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

today:
IAH fallen idol
IAH zombie apocalypse
Barney Flats oatmeal stout
Bellwoods farmageddeon
Bruery Oude Tart
Cuvee de jacobins