Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Last night with J343MY, and JB84:

Cigar City Invasion Pale Ale
Barncat Cat's Cradle
Cigar City Jai Alai
Against the Grain Kentuck Ryed Chiquen
Upland Dantalion
Barncat Maple Porter
Cigar City/DuClaw Impey Barbicane's Moon Gun
Hoppin Frog Cafe BORIS
Dunham Saison Rustique
Trois Mousquetaires Oud Bruin
"There's always money in the banana stand."

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the weekend at The Ravenous Pig, Cask & Larder, Oblivion Taproom, and Redlight Redlight in Winter Park and Orlando, FL:
Mönchshof Kellerbier (sample)
Funky Buddha OP Porter (draft)
Sixpoint Bengali Tiger IPA (draft)
Cask & Larder Olde Southern Wit (draft)
Cask & Larder Five Points IPA (draft)
Cask & Larder Mild Ale (draft)
Funky Buddha Crusher Session IPA (draft)
Boulevard Collaboration No. 4 Saison (draft)
Funky Buddha Hop Gun IPA (bottle)
New Belgium Portage Porter (bottle)
Terrapin Mosaic Single Hopped Red Rye Ale (can)

Right now:
Founders Black Rye
Last edited by cratez on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Right now I have a blend of Nicklebrook Bolshevik Bastard and Batch:1904 Cider. This is a version of the Black Velvet, which originally was the stout and Champagne. Later a cider-and-stout version became popular.

The great writer on alcoholic drinks, George Saintsbury (late 1800's-early 1900's), deprecated the Black Velvet. His reason was, it tastes like Champagne still, so why bother?

He's actually right - it's true if not even more so of the cider as well. However, old George didn't seem to consider varying the traditional 50/50 blend. (And it isn't as if he was down on blending, he advised for example to blend single malts at home, he gives an example of 5 in particular which work well in his view). Perhaps life was just too busy for him: so many drinks to try, so little time. Plus, he had to write all those scholarly books on European literature, his main gig.

Not feeling similarly constrained, I added a good splash of the inky Bolshevik to the 50/50 blend and lo, the drink comes into its own. The extra hit gives it that roasty dextrinous undertone to make it happen yet with the "slow-fermented 100% Ontario apples" (per the can) singing a bright tone on top.

Perhaps 60/40 is the ideal mix then, at least with these components.

George, you were one of ours and ahead of your time, but you didn't know it all.

Gary
Last edited by G.M. Gillman on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gillman

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

G.M. Gillman wrote:so many drinks to try, so little time.
:)

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

https://books.google.ca/books?id=4vDQRP ... es&f=false

This is Saintsbury on the Black Velvet, called in his time "Bismarck". "No possible liaison", he says...

Gary
Gary Gillman

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

G.M. Gillman wrote:https://books.google.ca/books?id=4vDQRP ... es&f=false

This is Saintsbury on the Black Velvet, called in his time "Bismarck". "No possible liaison", he says...

Gary
Looks like being one of those oddball amazing reads. I love how his recipe on p. 160 calls for one lump of ice as big as a baby's head, or how he casually mentions drinking something called a bishop with a friend who eventually did become a bishop.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

GLB robohop from the bottle. super dank pine & pineapple. good stuff

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Yes, it is a very interesting book and it has a full chapter on beer (not sure if that part is full-view on google books). He had an ornate style, typical of the Victorian era, but he knew a lot and it's fun to read once you get the way he uses the language - part of it is for humour too I think.

Sometimes you need to interpret it a bit. When he says to add soda water to "strong Bass", he clearly means Bass No. 1 (still made), i.e., barley wine not pale ale. I guess it would lighten it a bit and probably add some sparkle to what may have been a fairly still beer.

In the beer chapter, I recall most of what he said making a lot of sense, e.g., that all beer, even strong beer, is better on draught, bottle-conditioned is better than filtered, etc. Some things have changed though since then. He didn't think much of Scotch Ale (too sweet) or the lighter kinds available, and I'm sure would be very pleased with choice in modern Scotland.

Gary

P.S. I checked after penning the above and the beer chapter starts at pg. 148. It appears to be full view. He deals with cider in the same section.
Gary Gillman

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

It is brilliant. Thanks for the link. On cider and perry:

"Perry seems to me to be an abuse of that excellent creature the pear, whereas cider-apples furnish one of the most cogent arguments to prove that Providence had the production of alcoholic liquors directly in its eye".

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

midlife crisis wrote:It is brilliant. Thanks for the link. On cider and perry:

"Perry seems to me to be an abuse of that excellent creature the pear, whereas cider-apples furnish one of the most cogent arguments to prove that Providence had the production of alcoholic liquors directly in its eye".
Well, he had the gift of the gab, to use an expression he probably would have termed inexpressibly vulgar. (Kind of a motor-mouth, too).

But he's one of us, for sure. :)

Gary
Gary Gillman

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the last few days at random places in Florida:
Fat Heads Sunshine Daydream Session IPA
Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Hoppy Lager
Victory Anniversary 19 Ale Session IPA
Sixpoint Beast Mode
Goose Island Ten Hills
Founders Dark Penance Imperial Black IPA
Anderson Valley Spring Hornin' India Pale Ale
Smuttynose Durty Mud Season Hoppy Brown Ale
Bell's HopSlam Ale
Kish84 wrote: Cigar City/DuClaw Impey Barbicane's Moon Gun
How was this Kishan? I'm gonna be at the brewery tomorrow and I see it's on tap.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

cratez wrote:
Kish84 wrote: Cigar City/DuClaw Impey Barbicane's Moon Gun
How was this Kishan? I'm gonna be at the brewery tomorrow and I see it's on tap.
Honestly, I'm drawing a blank. I remember enjoying the stuff before and after having this, but this one was not memorable.

Maybe J343MY can recall it??
"There's always money in the banana stand."

Soods

Post by Soods »

In no particular order:

Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter IPA
Bells Two Hearted
Odd Side Ales Mayan Mocha Stout
Founders Blushing Monk
Canadian Breakfast Stout
Founders Big Lushious

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

How was the hop hunter? Did it taste green/wet?

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Had the hop hunter last week in the states...found it had a sweet grassy bit to it along with the hops, so I guess that means it was "green/wet"?