Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

At castros last night
granite hoppin mad
Durham county hop noggin
Brew dog punk IPA

Really impressed with the cask offerings and the brew dog was phenomenal
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

Soods

Post by Soods »

Last night

Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose
Shorts Huma Lupa Licious
Arcadia Brewing War Craft
Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA
Brouwerij Van Steenberge Monk's Cafe Sour

Also, here's a picture of my haul from Grand Rapids :D

[img][img]http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b575/Soods77/Michigan%20Haul_zpsrj0yhjxg.jpeg[/img][/img]

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Nice. How did you get so many packs of KBS?

I'm drinking a Great Lakes Karma Citra. Prefer Lake Effect (although the last three I had were nothing but malty, syrupy abominations with no hop aroma or flavour) but I'm digging the Karma Citra.

Great flavour and aroma and a pleasant, non-acerbic bitterness.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Amsterdam's Stenhouse Porter and Spring Bock. Both are well-made, clean and faultless however I much preferred the Spring Bock. It's got an extra charge of malt this year and it shows, to the benefit of the beer. The other includes some flaked barley and I feel I can taste it, that "wheaty", drying taste which is similar to its effect in Guinness. In my view, the porter would be better with an all-malt spec.

Gary
Gary Gillman

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Tomoka Brewery in Ormond Beach, FL:
Hop Quest IPA (draft)
Lunar Eclipse Stout (sample)
Mutha Fuggle EPA (sample)
Pumpernickel Porter (sample)
Campfire Brett Ale (sample)

At the hotel room in Tampa:
Pike XXXXX Extra Stout
Traquair House Ale

At Datz Delicatessen:
Stone Go To IPA (draft)
Motorworks Hull Melon Dry-Hopped Cruiser Kölsch (draft)
Tampa Bay Old Elephant Foot IPA (draft)

At Cigar City Brewing:
CCB Chinook Dry-Hopped Invasion Pale Ale (cask)
CCB Blackberry Pineapple Session Sour Ale (sample)
CCB This Won't Be Popular In The Tasting Room English Dark Mild (draft)
CCB Hotter Than Helles Munich Lager (sample)
CCB & Coronado Azimuth Session IPA (draft)
CCB Florida Cracker Belgian-Style White Ale (sample)
CCB Maduro Brown Ale (draft)
CCB Tony Jannus American Pale Ale (sample)
CCB Hoppier Than Helles Hoppy Session Lager (draft)
CCB Florida Man Double IPA (sample)
CCB & DuClaw Impey Barbicane’s Moongun Session Amber Ale (draft)
CCB You Never Know Imperial IPA (sample)
CCB Jai Alai India Pale Ale (draft)

Was disappointed that Hunahpu wasn't available outside of the event (which we didn't have tickets for), and I had already tried the Marshal Zhukov, but I enjoyed almost every beer that I sampled. I didn't realize how well-rounded CCB is until visiting the taproom - they nail a wide breadth of styles that I never associated their brewery with. I always perceived them as excelling in brown ales/porters/stouts on the one hand and hoppy pales/IPAs/DIPAs on the other but it's clear that their range is much broader than that. Definitely worth visiting the brewery if you're in the Tampa / St. Petersburg area.

Right now:
Amsterdam Stenhouse Porter
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

@the bent elbow in Kitchener, Brew dog punk IPA. Awesome, really fresh tasting great hop flavours and nicely balanced. I'd wager to say that it was even better than when I had it @ brew dog pub in Edinburgh last year.

Followed by a Karma Citra at home, that just didn't compare(i imagine i'll get some grief for this)
Now, Founders breakfast stout from last years release....I still find it to be drinking really nicely. I do notice that the chocolate notes have really faded though.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Drank two bottles of Karma Citra last night.

I don't know what the deal with Great Lakes' IPA's are but they go down hill at an alarming rate.

Barely any hop aroma or flavour, just syrupy sweetness. Completely different beer than I had two weeks ago.

The same thing happened to the six bottles of Lake Effect I bought. First three were great, next three were terrible.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at home:
Bold City Mad Manatee IPA
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Dieu du Ciel! Moralité IPA
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Yesterday at home watching some basketball:

Nickel Brook Immodest IIPA
Nickel Brook Malevolent Black IIPA
Dieu du Ciel! Aphrodisaque

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

karma citra out of bottle and this did not compare to having it in draught at Barhop Friday...agree with AWCY...the bottles of Citra need to be consumed quicker than most
Also had a Phantom Limb with some home made chili...that's an interesting contrast
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Archibald La Joufflue Belgian Style White Ale

Not a style I consistently like. This one was interesting. Had a lemon flavour coming through.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

At Todd English P.U.B at the Aria in Vegas:

Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
Firestone Walker Double Jack IPA

First time for both and they were insanely awesome.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Archibald L'Insoumise Pale Ale

Love this one.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Died du ciel Moralite.
Really tasty stuff,awesome balance. I taste lots of tropical fruit flavours in this. Pineapple passion fruit, citrus,canary melon. Long lingering bitter finish, almost a bit sticky.
Better pick up another 4 pack before they're gone

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Died du ciel Moralite.
Really tasty stuff,awesome balance. I taste lots of tropical fruit flavours in this. Pineapple passion fruit, citrus,canary melon. Long lingering bitter finish, almost a bit sticky.
Better pick up another 4 pack before they're gone
Dude, I was going to post nearly the same note - nice balance tropical fruit you describe, lemony-grapefruit citrus pith, piney resiny aromas - great palate bracing and fresh with some lingering green bitter.

Of course lately I'm impressed with GLB Ontario Karma Citra IPA & Amsterdam Cruiser session pale, so whatever is fresh and good quality will be vying for (fridge) shelf space as the thirsty days of spring are advancing.
In Beerum Veritas