Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Stone City Ales Ships in the Night coffee stout, growler from the brewery on Monday. About the best thing I've had from this Kingston brewpub!
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at The Ceili Cottage, Tequila Bookworm, and Bar Hop while celebrating my birthday:
Durham Hop Addict (draft)
Left Field Eephus Oatmeal Brown Ale (draft)
Nickel Brook Aeques Nox (draft)
Muddy York Brewing Porter (draft)
Great Lakes Octopus Wants To Fight IPA (draft)
Great Lakes Harry Porter & The Bourbon Soaked Vanilla Beans (sample)

First time at Tequila Bookworm and I will definitely be back. Excellent service, well-selected draft list with several beers I hadn't tried before, and a surprisingly low key atmosphere with minimal hipster douchiness (usually mandatory on Queen West). Great spot all around.

Right now:
Southern Tier IPA
Last edited by cratez on Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Old Flame The Bitter Ex

Excellent bitter from this Port Perry producer. Wonderfully rounded and moreish. Grab a pint if you see it.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Pugnacious Pale Ale. This must be dry-hopped, it has a marked nose and taste of unboiled hops on top of the "regular" flavours of good pale ale. I like it half-chilled and decarbonated about 50%, which approximates closely a cask experience.

There are English but more specially APA influences in there, with a result few pale ale fans would cavil with.

It reminds me of the current Ballantine India Pale Ale except at a 5% ABV. Or I suppose the reverse is more true since Pugnacious emerged before the revival of Ballantine IPA.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

More Stone City Ales Ships in the Night coffee stout. 14 bucks for more than three Imperial pints, not a bad dea. A Kingston tradition is born!!!

Also I'm cooking Carbonnade Flamamde with Unibroue Trois Pistoles and a good splash of whatever Madeira wine I bought months back.

Trying a 2006 Chimay Bleue that is still holding up fantastically well, with rounded dark fruit, sweet lemon and chocolate tones all set off by a mellow spiciness and a smooth creamy bottle-conditioned texture.
In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

In Montreal this weekend

DDC Immoralité
DDC Half Life
DDC Hérétique
DDC Disco Soleil
Benelux Sabotage

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GLB Octopus Wants To Fight IPA @ The Only Cafe.

Side Launch Wheat (can)
2008 Samichlaus.
In Beerum Veritas

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

McEwan's Scotch Ale. Definitely the best batch since its reintroduction, as good or better than the one last sold in Ontario (10-15 years ago). Good dark malt qualities, slightly fruity and with an oak-like overtone, also a definite light smokiness which is either from roast barley or peated malt. It has an acidic edge which is clearly part of the profile, perhaps intended to replicate what an aged beer (old ale) would taste like. Good creamy and natural carbonation, too. I just drink it off the shelf or barely chilled. It is lighter than Chouffe Scotch Ale but in that vein, IMO.

Alexander Keith's Saphir Hop. Disappointing, the first cans had this big Turkish delight quality, this one is dull in comparison. Not sure why, either the hop doesn't show the same qualities over the long period since introduction or perhaps it was dumbed down. Won't revisit.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Muskoka Detour.

Makes me wish for an SNPA.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Oddside Ales Citra Pale Ale.

Picked this up in Michigan a couple weekends ago. It's pretty good but not sure it's deserving of the raves on BA.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Nickel Brook naughty neighbor APA. Really good from the can! Has a picture of a hot chick on it!

With a really good minestrone, incorporating homemade beef and veal stock and parma… And Rombi from the Elmwood village in Buffalo.
In Beerum Veritas

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Tried the newest of the Keith's Hop Series, Celeia, made with a Slovenian hop. All the beers in the line tend to taste somewhat similar to me, this one is no exception. I'm not sure what explains the "house flavour", I suspect the bittering may be low (with the featured hop speaking more freely in aroma), that may be part of it. The yeast background and malt type (6 row for the base?) may explain it too. These are all-malt I understand yet they don't resemble the typical craft beer, IMO. (I used to like the Saphir which had a big Turkish delight-like taste but recent cans are much more restrained in taste).

I feel similarly about the Moosehead Hop City line. There's something about the taste that seems neither fish nor fowl so to speak.. Not sure what the strategy is, if it is to draw a line half-way between the typical macro beer and the artisan crafted style, perhaps there is a market for that although I wonder..

Gary
Gary Gillman

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

@barhop on tap
Nickelbrook Aeques Nox---delicious
on cask GLB Canucklehead...yummy
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

all at home while watching a disappointing raptors game:

steam whistle
dieu du ciel moralite
sawdust city long, dark voyage to uranus

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Having a Phillips Cabin Fever Imperial Black IPA tonight.....quite enjoying it.
cratez wrote:
cratez wrote:Cabin Fever.....are straight up awful.
S. St. Jeb wrote: Really? I was hoping to try this one. What's so bad about it?
I just found it to be very mediocre and not nearly as hoppy and robust as I expect a "double" Black IPA to be (see Sublimely Self Righteous, Dark Penance, Hoppy Feet 1.5, Dark Hops, NightTime, etc). I also thought the malt profile was quite muddled, bordering on unpleasant. I realize it has high-ish ratings on BA, but it didn't do anything for me.