Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Having a Phillips Cabin Fever Imperial Black IPA tonight.....quite enjoying it.
cratez wrote:Cabin Fever..... straight up awful.
And this is why… you always have your own opinion! :)

In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the last few nights at home, The Second City, and Loose Moose:
Goose IPA (bottle)
Southern Tier Goat Boy (bottle)
Vander Ghinste Cuvee des Jacobin (bottle)
Collective Arts Saint of Circumstance (draft)
Goose Island Honker's Ale (draft)
Amsterdam Boneshaker IPA (draft)
S. St. Jeb wrote:Having a Phillips Cabin Fever Imperial Black IPA tonight.....quite enjoying it.
cratez wrote:
cratez wrote:Cabin Fever.....are straight up awful.
S. St. Jeb wrote: Really? I was hoping to try this one. What's so bad about it?
I just found it to be very mediocre and not nearly as hoppy and robust as I expect a "double" Black IPA to be (see Sublimely Self Righteous, Dark Penance, Hoppy Feet 1.5, Dark Hops, NightTime, etc). I also thought the malt profile was quite muddled, bordering on unpleasant. I realize it has high-ish ratings on BA, but it didn't do anything for me.
I provided specific reasons why I didn't like it, and explained the frame of reference I was working from. You "quite enjoyed it" so my opinion is invalid? Nice one-uppery? :roll:
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

cratez wrote: I provided specific reasons why I didn't like it, and explained the frame of reference I was working from. You "quite enjoyed it" so my opinion is invalid? Nice one-uppery? :roll:
No, and no. I just said I enjoyed it. Don't read any more into it. My enjoying it doesn't invalidate your opinion.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Dieu du Ciel! Moralité
Dieu du Ciel! Moralité
Founders Porter
In Beerum Veritas

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I say it DOES invalidate your opinion. But then again, thats just my opinion.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

iguenard wrote:I say it DOES invalidate your opinion. But then again, thats just my opinion.
And I have no opinion either way, except being an invalid is OK, if that is your opinion of being an invalid.
Last edited by Belgian on Mon May 04, 2015 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I havent drank anything in 3 days. Time to set that right with.... a Cabin Fever! (no shit! total random pick).

Its okay. Nice roasted, black chocolate flavour, with a firm helping of hops, but not bright, citric hops alla Vermont, but more like earthy, well chosen like Northern Brewer-type hops that seem to supplement the dark rather than dominate it without considering its counterparts.

I like it, drank through the bottle over a few hours. I wouldn't buy more, cause its not my kind of beer, but I sure am glad the Lickabo allowed me to try it for a decent price.

Now that leaf being turned. Bring on bigfoot and old guardian so I can wash down this bad spring release :)

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Tonight I had a Victory Dirtwolf and a Stone Go To IPA.

Both are fantastic beers.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

iguenard wrote: I say it DOES invalidate your opinion. But then again, that's just my opinion.
Why bother to provide details about a beer, on a forum dedicated to beer geekery, when I can just do my best "Ontario WASP" impression and say I "rather enjoyed it"? Man, I've had it wrong all along. :lol:
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I'm just gonna equate beers to music from the 60's and 70's and let people draw their own conclusions as to whether I enjoyed them or not.

"This beer will appeal to people who liked the first 5 Zeppelin albums but skip "Stairway to Heaven" when they listen to the 4th album"
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

cratez wrote:
iguenard wrote: I say it DOES invalidate your opinion. But then again, that's just my opinion.
Why bother to provide details about a beer, on a forum dedicated to beer geekery, when I can just do my best "Ontario WASP" impression and say I "rather enjoyed it"? Man, I've had it wrong all along. :lol:
So if I enjoy a beer, I can't say so unless I give a detailed account of the flavour and why it appealed to me. OK, good to know the rules. Must of missed it when I signed up.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
cratez wrote:
So if I enjoy a beer, I can't say so unless I give a detailed account of the flavour and why it appealed to me. OK, good to know the rules. Must of missed it when I signed up.
It is hidden from you. You have not been initiated to the Order Of Beerhood because you were not yet chosen. Be virtuous and watch Stanley Kubrick movies, then one day it may come.
In Beerum Veritas

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Drinking a Dulcis Succubus. Reminded me of Soundgarden's follow up to BadMotorFinger. It was commercial successful, but, didnt live up to my expectations. Needed a little more Jesus Christ Pose.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

nickel brook headstock, packaged april 27, while watching playoff basketball. very tasty stuff

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

At Left Field today:
Sunlight Park Saison
Brick and Mortar Coffee Porter
6-4-3 DIPA

All solid, such a great room on a nice day.