Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Belgian wrote:Rogue 7 Hop on draught at La Palette, extremely nice place to chill, drink and ppl watch.
It looks like a nice restaurant. Is it a place where you can just grab a pint, or is it a place where you're kind of expected to order a full meal?

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

In VT earlier in the week:

Hill Farmstead Edward
Hill Farmstead Conduct of Life
Hermit Thrust Brattlebeer
Rock Art Wine barrel aged stout (Quite good!)
Lost Nation Gose
Lawsons Sip of Sunshine
De Garde Cherry Raz Bu
De Garde Imperial Blu Bu
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Yesterday at Bellwoods Brewery, Thirsty & Miserable, and Bar Hop:
Bellwoods Wizard Wolf Session Ale (draft)
Bellwoods Farmageddon (draft)
Le Castor Yakima IPA (bottle)
Dieu du Ciel! Disco Soleil (bottle)
Rogue Farms Good Chit Pilsner (draft)
Indie Alehouse Couch Surfer IPA (draft)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:
Belgian wrote:Rogue 7 Hop on draught at La Palette, extremely nice place to chill, drink and ppl watch.
Thanks for the tip, Belgian. Based on your comments, the ostensibly stellar draft list, and the bar pic on their website, it seems like my type of place. I'm gonna make an effort to get over there soon. How's the food, BTW?
napoleon wrote:It looks like a nice restaurant. Is it a place where you can just grab a pint, or is it a place where you're kind of expected to order a full meal?
Didn't eat there yet, though the menu looks impressive. Yelp reviews are not consistently positive for every dish, but I might get a small bite there for fun. Draught lines were pristine! I would at least tip nicely if only having beer and not bison tenderloin. They do a Prix Fixe too...
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

La Palette, formerly of Kensington Market and now of Queen West, is a place I would go for a good meal. They're famous in Toronto foodie circles for being the place to go in town for a good horse steak.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:La Palette, formerly of Kensington Market and now of Queen West, is a place I would go for a good meal. They're famous in Toronto foodie circles for being the place to go in town for a good horse steak.
Infamous for the horse steak you mean. Orval is supposedly a good pairing!

The steak frites looks enticing. Tenderloin isn't my thing unless you do something more than grill it (I recommend it seared rare and served with shallots, port wine deglaze and cream - basic French way.)
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Belgian wrote:
Craig wrote:La Palette, formerly of Kensington Market and now of Queen West, is a place I would go for a good meal. They're famous in Toronto foodie circles for being the place to go in town for a good horse steak.
Infamous for the horse steak you mean. Orval is supposedly a good pairing!

The steak frites looks enticing. Tenderloin isn't my thing unless you do something more than grill it (I recommend it seared rare and served with shallots, port wine deglaze and cream - basic French way.)
I haven't tried it personally to say if it's famous or infamous. I've heard it's quite delicious though. One of those things I've been meaning to try for like 5 years now, but never seem to get around to it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:I haven't tried (the horse steak) personally to say if it's famous or infamous.
By infamous I mean it was in the news, protesters outside there being a real pain in the top round. I guess anything you do in Toronto outside the usual will attract a fringe response.
In Beerum Veritas

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Craig wrote:They're famous in Toronto foodie circles for being the place to go in town for a good horse steak.
Having been regularly exposed to the Royal which clearly illustrates the relationship between horse flesh and wealth, I have often made the observation that since the demise of the horse as the primary means of transport and its diminished role in gaming, the beast really only serves two roles in North American society:

1. A protein source
2. Sex aids for rich women

As a content carnivore, it's good to see #1 coming into vogue. :wink:

skootles

Post by skootles »

cratez wrote:Le Castor Yakima IPA (bottle)
Are those bottles of Yakima still running $20+ in local bars?

Sigh, should have just checked an extra bag the last time I was in QC, bottles were $6.99.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Last night:

DDC Solctice D'Hiver (excellent)
Founders Blushing Monk 2015 (I can't remember a beer with a stronger raspberry taste. I liked it, but it is a little over the top).

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

skootles wrote:
cratez wrote:Le Castor Yakima IPA (bottle)
Are those bottles of Yakima still running $20+ in local bars? Sigh, should have just checked an extra bag the last time I was in QC, bottles were $6.99.
It was $16 at Thirsty tax in, and we split it among four people, so not too bad.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Goose Island IPA from the bottle.

2013 Rochefort 10 from a Chimay glass, a nice sipper with dinner.
In Beerum Veritas

Soods

Post by Soods »

In the Pacific North West:

Deschutes Pinedrops IPA
Rueben's Crickey IPA
Alesmith BA Numbskull
Oud Beersel Still Gueze
Alesmith Speedway Stout
Bellwood's Barn Owl (I might have brought that one with me)
Trinity Brewing 7 Day Golden Sour
Alpine Duet
Walking Man Brewing Black Cherry Stout
Deschutes The Abyss

Soods

Post by Soods »

10 Barrel Apocolypse IPA
Cascade Brewing Blackcap Raspberry Sour
Cascade Brewing Honeycot (Apricot and Honey sour)
Cascade Brewing Blackberry Sour
De Garde Blu Bu
De Garde Citra Hose
De Garde Spruce Desay
De Garde Cherry Raz Bu