Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

napoleon wrote:Thanks that's crazy weird. It shows up on this foodanddrink website, but lcbo.com shows no results even when I put in the product number.
The LCBO always finds ways to annoy -- there were a couple of threads a few months back about the ineptness of the search function. As was the advice back then, bookmark the Food & Drink search page if you ever want to find anything.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

skaghevn wrote:The LCBO always finds ways to annoy -- there were a couple of threads a few months back about the ineptness of the search function.
Apparently the LCBO software systems are amazingly outdated, because the people that work behind the scenes at the Elsie don't want to re-train and I guess can't be fired.

Therefore it takes 5-8 minutes for each separate return with a different receipt. The cashier this week said the system in place was called 'Red' something, he hated it and the resulting service is amazingly not service-oriented (a whole other topic.)

But in short, there needs to be intelligent / adaptive search functions that don't just return a blank NO to a valid query.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Belgian wrote:[
Therefore it takes 5-8 minutes for each separate return with a different receipt. The cashier this week said the system in place was called 'Red' something, he hated it and the resulting service is amazingly not service-oriented (a whole other topic.)
they changed their return policy?

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

spinrsx wrote:
Belgian wrote:[
they changed their return policy?

One thing has changed, no more exchanging for LCBO cards. This is extremely annoying, since I sometimes buy 2-3 of something, drink one and return the others for credit.

Now that this cannot be done, you have to exchange for something on the spot.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

AugustusRex wrote:[One thing has changed, no more exchanging for LCBO cards. This is extremely annoying, since I sometimes buy 2-3 of something, drink one and return the others for credit.

Now that this cannot be done, you have to exchange for something on the spot.
I'm with you there, that's annoying. They used to have infinite return allowances, then it's 30 days with receipt or exchange-only, now it's NO gift cards?

This means if you buy say 6 bottles of a hundred-dollar wine, you have to consume one right away to know if you want to keep the entire $600 purchase. Maybe that doesn't even fit with your plans to cook and entertain.

* so maybe you buy an extra on a separate receipt, just to sample it and verify the purchase, and then return the sampling bottle for full refund as 'did not like', at their loss. I really don't like the LCBO telling me WHEN I have to drink something short-term, it appears to contradict the whole ethic of 'social responsibility' they blow horn about all the time.
Last edited by Belgian on Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Drinking an aged Saison Dupont, incredible!

Had a Red Racer India Session Ale, one of the best.

Had a Muskoka Detour, it was just okay as a session hop ale. Honestly the RR killed it.

& Creemore Lot 9 Pilsner, not bad!!
Last edited by Belgian on Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Belgian wrote:Drinking an aged Saison Dupont, incredible!
How much age did it have on it? I'm down to my last bottle (best before date is May 2017) and I'm wondering how long I should sit on it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Provost Drunk wrote:How much age did (the Saison Dupont) have on it? I'm down to my last bottle (best before date is May 2017) and I'm wondering how long I should sit on it.
I'm not sure, BBD is 01-16. The stuff keeps well and evolves so it's worth having a stash to reach into.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Yesterday at MacNiven's Restaurant & Bar in Indianapolis:
Three Floyds Jinx Proof Lager (draft)
Three Floyds Yum Yum APA (draft)
Black Acre Natural Liberty Citra Hopped Pale Lager (draft)
Three Floyds Moloko Plus Milk Stout (draft)

Right now:
People’s Farmer’s Daughter Wheat (can)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Zwanze Day

Cantillion Gueuze
Rose de Gambrinus
Hill Farmstead Grassroots Saison

Right Now

Hofbrau Dunkel

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Scotty's Brewhouse and Kuma's Corner Indianapolis:
Thr3e Wise Men Citrus Maximus (draft)
Triton Blackened Soul Black IPA (draft)
Three Floyds Perched Atop The Denim Throne (draft)
Triton Rail Splitter IPA (draft)
AugustusRex wrote:Zwanze Day
Hill Farmstead Grassroots Saison
Leave it to Volo to bring HF to Ontario. Always pushing the envelope and always a step ahead of everyone else.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

iheartmeowmix

Post by iheartmeowmix »

cratez wrote:Leave it to Volo to bring HF to Ontario. Always pushing the envelope and always a step ahead of everyone else.
I love Volo as much as the next guy; not sure I would call Hill Farmstead pushing the envelope. Ahead of the curve and a step ahead for sure; but in comparison to some of the stuff they have going on in Vermont...I don't know. Either way; it was a pleasant surprise at Zwanze Day. I really would love them to take the opportunity to bring in more American beers or hell even European beers--there are so many sours out there, it is sometimes a shame to see the board so dominated by Toronto brews. No slight to Bellwoods; I really like what they are making, but do they need to occupy 4 slots on the tap list? Probably not. Nor does the Peche need to be triple exposed on the bottles, tap, and cask.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

iheartmeowmix wrote:
cratez wrote:Leave it to Volo to bring HF to Ontario. Always pushing the envelope and always a step ahead of everyone else.
I love Volo as much as the next guy; not sure I would call Hill Farmstead pushing the envelope.

:o

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Watching the jays game and trying to drown out my screaming triplets.
Nickel brook continental drift-first time having this and quite enjoyed it. Nothing special about it but very tasty
Then a peche mortal

iheartmeowmix

Post by iheartmeowmix »

AugustusRex wrote:
iheartmeowmix wrote:
I love Volo as much as the next guy; not sure I would call Hill Farmstead pushing the envelope.

:o

Don't get me wrong. Love what they are doing (both Volo and HF)--stocked up on bottles on my last run to Vermont and I'm at Volo a little too much on the regular. I guess what I was trying to say, and it came off poorly, is that I wish they carried things like Jester King on the regular, or that they brought in some of the cask days beers on the regular. And yes, while HF is new and doing cool things, bringing in two beers for 1 event isn't pushing an envelope; its hosting an event--if I see it introduced on the board more regularly then fine I will concede they are pushing the envelope. I would like to see Bar Volo get out of its comfort zone and try to bring more HF, Jester King, Jolly Pumpkin etc to Toronto and on a regular basis. That said, I know there is financial risk involved, and while the boys at Volo seem to be doing well I don't have insight into that and there could be serious financial reasons they don't bring it in on the regular which are valid.

All that said, Bar Volo, in my opinion, is doing better than any other bar in terms of beer selection. They are bringing in new stuff on a consistent enough basis where they have established themselves as the de facto place for beer.