Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

ephemere pomme, since there wasn't much in the fridge. still not a bad lunch beer, though i don't know that the pairing with a roast beef sandwich and bugles was an ideal choice...

edit: OH SNAP, FIRST POST ON PAGE 1000!
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

grub wrote:ephemere pomme, since there wasn't much in the fridge. still not a bad lunch beer, though i don't know that the pairing with a roast beef sandwich and bugles was an ideal choice...

edit: OH SNAP, FIRST POST ON PAGE 1000!
Woot!

I saw the Ephemere Poire today! I must go back and grab a few, I love these when they are totally 'on' (the Pomme is freaking amazing.)
And saw the new Red Racer Ginger Stout.

Was taking a wee break from the drink, now a 10/2014 Orval… damn good stuff!!

** Edit ** The Ephemere Poire is great, although the pear makes it taste more like a Tripel, with less alcohol and fresher taste.
Last edited by Belgian on Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Last night:

Block 3 Dead Later barrel aged Dubbel. (Not their best effort in my opinion).
Bellwoods Cherry Farmageddon. (Loved it on release and loved it again last night).

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

a few beers last night:

Great Lakes/Biergotter Nazgul Imperial Porter (my last bottle, and still tasting mighty hoppy for being almost 4 years old)
Three Floyds Dark Lord 2010 (think I enjoyed the Nazgul more...)
Firestone Walker 18 (tasty, but looking forward to the latest blend with no hoppy beers. still think the 10 was their best blend)
Great Lakes et al Winter Is Coming. still tasty as hell. this one had a bit of smokey twang to it, so i'm hoping it's just a single off bottle and not the whole batch...

Abyss 2007-2009 vertical in the fridge for tonight.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the last few nights at home:
St. Peter's Winter Ale
Upland Cherry Lambic
Fuller’s Vintage Ale 2015
Three Floyds Backmasking Oatmeal Stout
Wychwood Bah Humbug
Central City Red Racer IPA
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Last night at Bar Hop (the original):

Nickel Brook x Sawdust City 11.05 (Imperial Saison w/ citrus)
Cameron's Dry-Hopped Tripel
Sawdust City x Bar Hop The Blood of Cthulhu (Imperial Stout w/ sour cherries, cranberries and raspberries)

I thought the tripel and Blood of Cthulhu were excellent. The imperial saison not so much.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

St. Peter's Winter Ale while watching Frank D'Angelo in "Real Gangsters" on FX. Don't judge me!

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

My 5 month old triplets were driving me nuts today, so it called for something high abv. 2013 Cameron's obsidian porter, which is tasting delicious. Along side a wee glass of Arran malt Amarone cask scotch

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

had an evening at barhop (classic) on the weekend:

Thrust - delicious, great batch.
11.05 saison - less than half interesting/more than half terrible, almost like a pint of sangria.
Maniacal Hopshop - super, maybe getting a little old though? I find GLB IPA's have an extremely short shelf life and lose their initial zazz which turns to pruniness/fartiness quickly.
Blood of Cthulhu - fantastic, dangerously drinkable, love this beer.
+ a couple more Thrusts just to ruin my Sunday morning.

tastes of:

Indie Ale House Punchbuggy Belgian/raspberries - tasty but not my thing, couldn't see drinking more than a half pint.
Nickelbrook Beriti - pale ale with coffee, I can only assume that this was brewed on a dare, gawdawful.
Camerons dry hopped tripel - Camerons continues their streak of brewing beers I do not enjoy.

A little upset that they ran out of Twin Pines just as I arrived as I've only had this in a can before and really liked it. Strangely, I find it easier drinking than Lone Pine.

Oh, and, a burger - always amazing (a lot upset I dropped half the onion ring on the ground though).

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Royal city brewing autum
Ale(spiced sweet potato and b-nut squash)---not bad, I like the spicing on it....nice and subtle

Also, a few classic stand-bys. Fullers ESB and st ambroise oatmeal stout

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At home:
Great Lakes Brewing Palani - not bad, but the carbonation is too low for the style
St. Bernardus Pater 6 - stellar as always
2015 Mill Street Barley Wine - better than the last couple vintages as this year's version is not barrel-aged
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Cheshire Valley Out Of This World Pale Ale - Comet (draft)
Beer Lab Table-ish Saison (draft)
Great Lakes Brewing Maniacal Hopshop IPA (draft)
Black Oak Nutcracker Porter (draft)
Indie Alehouse Punch Buggy Raspberry Ale (sample)
Nickel Brook High Tea In Exile English Mild (sample)

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

last night:
can of glb maniacal hopshop at tallboys craft beer house
pint of goose ipa at realsports while watching ronda rousey get put to sleep

at home recently:
unibroue maudite
collingwood 2015 vintage ale
maclean's armchair scotch ale

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

At Barhop yesterday
Thrust--still one of my fave GLB IPAs--when is Lake Effect back?
Indie alehouse Cockpuncher--very underwhelming for a DIPA...too much malt forward not a lot of juicy hops imho
Sawdust City x Barhop--blood of ctuchula--loved this ...very faint raspberries in the background but way to easy drinking an imply stout
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Lake Effect is back in the bottle shop right now, actually.