Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Four Winds Nectarous Dry Hopped Sour. It was phenomenal fresh, and still great today. If you forced me to pick my favourite Canadian beer, this might just be it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

2015 Fullers Vintage, Amazing looking smelling and tasting ale. Has a very solid future in the cellar too I would well imagine.
In Beerum Veritas

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Belgian wrote:2015 Fullers Vintage, Amazing looking smelling and tasting ale. Has a very solid future in the cellar too I would well imagine.
Thanks for reminding me I should start drinking my 2012's...

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the weekend at Bier Markt Esplanade, Mill Street Brew Pub, C'est What? and Goodlake:
Stone IPA (draft)
New Holland The Poet Oatmeal Stout (draft)
Mill Street Tankenstein Ale (draft)
Mill Street Old Fashioned Oatmeal Stout (draft)
Durham Hop Noggin' (cask)
Black Oak Nutcracker Porter (draft)
MacKinnon Brothers Crosscut Canadian Ale (draft)
sofakingdrunk wrote:2013 van de keizer blauw. Drinking fantastically well. Tonnes of ripe berry flavour. Drank with some roasted pork, lyonaise potatoes and some steamed green beans.
That sounds like a fantastic pairing.
Last edited by cratez on Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

skootles

Post by skootles »

Bellwoods Bounty Hunter 2014
Bellwoods Bounty Hunter 2015
Rodenbach Vintage 2013
Forked River Weendigo BA Imperial Stout

The vanilla and coconut had faded on the 2014 Bounty Hunter but there was still a bit on the 2015. The Weendigo was like sipping on a glass of beer-flavoured bourbon. I'll definitely be picking up more.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Last of the muskoka harvest ale.
A TAnk 7 farmhouse ale- I love this stuff, only wish it was a regular lcbo listing. It kicks the ahit out of Ontario saisons

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Bolshevik Bastard

Love the price for the 355mL bottles at the LCBO. My stock of RIS's from Buffalo has run out so I picked up a bottle, it doesn't hold a candle to Old Rasputin, Storm King or any of the other basic American stouts. The Bolshevik tastes almost worty, like it isn't finished. The hops don't pop like they should either. I will buy this again, but only as a cheap stout to have on hand for guests.

Does anybody know if Samuel Smith's is worth the $5 price tag?

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Le Castor Brett Bitter. Love this.
Troegs Java Head: A little too bubbly for my tastes, but great coffee flavours.

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

Cracked the bottle of Rodenbach Vintage 2013 I picked up from Summerhill at the Vanilla Rye release. I thought it was fantastic and picked up two more for the cellar. I'd put it up there with Motley Cru 2015 as far as red wine-esque sours go. My girlfriend and I must have downed that 750ml bottle in 15 minutes.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

AugustusRex wrote:Bolshevik Bastard

Love the price for the 355mL bottles at the LCBO. My stock of RIS's from Buffalo has run out so I picked up a bottle, it doesn't hold a candle to Old Rasputin, Storm King or any of the other basic American stouts. The Bolshevik tastes almost worty, like it isn't finished. The hops don't pop like they should either.
Must try the Bolshie again, the Winey and Kentucky BA versions can be amazing and I like this brewery.

I agree a 'basic' RIS from the US can be so perfect it's hard to compare.

Impys need to be heavy hitters in the flavor profile, and consistent. They should probably age like a champion as well. It's a tall order!

Opening a 2012 Tempest (10%) This is quite nice with dark winey/cherry fruit, chocolatey malts and a solid bitterness. At cellar temperature, it is very smooth. I still have a 2011 batch #1 (9% ABV). Much hoo-hah over releasing that one at the brewery I recall.
In Beerum Veritas

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Double Trouble Fire in the Rye

I've had this before, but not very much and not for a long time. If it wasn't for "so many beers and so little time", I'd be happy to have this more often.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Double Trouble Fire in the Rye

I've had this before, but not very much and not for a long time. If it wasn't for "so many beers and so little time", I'd be happy to have this more often.

I feel the same way, although I do think for the price, there's better options available which is why I tend not to buy it very often

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

2012 Tempest RIS again - good chocolatey aromas and roasty / dark fruit tastes. I think this wine aged in Armagnac barrels would be perfect. Aged in my cellar it's still nice.

With homemade minestrone-style kale soup (based on fresh turkey double stock, rind of Parmesan Reggiano, tomato and herbs.) Drizzle some Silver Leaf EVOO on it, incredible.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Over the last week or so:
Rogue brutal IPA-tasting pretty mellow
Sam smiths winter warmer- never disappoints
Fireside esb- pretty tasty overall, but made me want a Fullers afterwards.
Finest kind IPA- last 2 bottles of the 6 pack-I drank these with some curry and they were by the the best tasting of the pack. Maybe the flavours just complimented the vindaloo nicely. I don't think for me, this beer is worth buying sgain.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen... I really look forward to Oktoberfest beers each Christmas.
Man this is delicious with light raisiny and caramel undertones, a nicely rounded lager experience. Actually worth the $3.95.

The Viven Porter is also amazing. Get your malt on.
In Beerum Veritas