Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Nickle Brook Winey Bastard - This to me was phenomenal. I haven't tried many, if any other wine barrel aged beers but I'll look for more after this one. Right up front and through the entire sip was a wonderful red wine flavour. Considering I'm not red wine fan I'm a little shocked I liked this so much. I wish it was sold in smaller bottles more similar to the Bolshevik. I'd love to sit with a bottle of each and compare them side by side but I can't see myself buying a $15 bottle and a 4 pack just for shits and giggles.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

CoolB wrote:Nickle Brook Winey Bastard - This to me was phenomenal. I haven't tried many, if any other wine barrel aged beers but I'll look for more after this one. Right up front and through the entire sip was a wonderful red wine flavour. Considering I'm not red wine fan I'm a little shocked I liked this so much. I wish it was sold in smaller bottles more similar to the Bolshevik. I'd love to sit with a bottle of each and compare them side by side but I can't see myself buying a $15 bottle and a 4 pack just for shits and giggles.
Yeah that's really my only compliant regarding Winey Bastard (and Kentucky Bastard) is the price. If these were $10 750 mls or 4 packs these would be a weekly purchase.

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

walz22 wrote:^^ thanks for the heads up on the fresh Ransack.

Right now, drinking an Immodest that was canned yesterday... damn it's drinking amazingly well
what city did you pick Immodest up in? The LCBO inventory isn't showing any stock.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Winter is Coming wrote:
walz22 wrote:^^ thanks for the heads up on the fresh Ransack.

Right now, drinking an Immodest that was canned yesterday... damn it's drinking amazingly well
what city did you pick Immodest up in? The LCBO inventory isn't showing any stock.
I was actually in Burlington and picked it up from the brewery on its release day.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Winter is Coming wrote:
CoolB wrote:Nickle Brook Winey Bastard - This to me was phenomenal... but I can't see myself buying a $15 bottle and a 4 pack just for shits and giggles.
If these were $10 750 mls or 4 packs these would be a weekly purchase.
Ten bucks a 750 would be probably tough to cost-justify for production, I am guessing. They can't just crank the stuff out, it's somewhat special in the procurement and handling of barrels.

Thing about the wine version, Pinot Noir is just such a bloody charming grape. It really shines in this beer for some reason. As does the Bourbon, if you like that.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At home:
Lagunitas Maximus DIPA - not bad, but as with most U.S. releases at the 'BO, I get the sense that this has been sitting around for a while. Malt profile is fairly sweet too. Just okay IMO.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I preferred the regular lagunitas ipa over the maximus. The maximus was good at first but became too sweet. Did the lcbo ever receive a fresh batch of the regular ipa? I remember the first batch being out of date.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

At a recent Bar Hop excursion:

DDC Herbe a Detourne - branded as a "new world" tripel (read: North American hops). More of a Belgian IPA than a tripel IMO. Opens with a refreshing pine-y character, a fairly sweet mid palate followed by a drier finish. Not as bracingly bitter as you'd expect given the hop dosage. Overall, I enjoyed it but it's not something I'd order regularly. I'd much rather try their Rigor Mortis tripel, but the timing has never worked whenever I've been to the Montreal brewpub and I haven't seen this one make it's way to Ontario yet.

Nickel Brook Winey Bastard - wine barrels are not my preferred style of BA beer, but every time I have this one I enjoy it more. The Pinot Noir grapes shine through in the opening flavours and the beer retains the rich body of an imperial stout. In the finish, the wine barrels impart a tartness that overshadows the typical roasted stout quality, but I have had other experiences with wine barrel aged beers where this tart character is the only thing the barrel imparts - not so with Winey. Overall, I still prefer to Bolshevik and Kentucky variations, but that is more about the quality of the other variations than a negative reflection on Winey.

Clifford Barrel-Aged Porter - a definite winner in my books. I love classic Clifford Porter and I think the BA version retains a lot of the roasted malt profile up front. The Tennessee Whiskey leaves its mark in the finish, but this beer is not a barrel bomb and for me strikes a great balance between imparting character from the barrel without undermining the underlying beer.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

^^ where did you find the BA Clifford Porter?

Block 3 Siege IPA, nice fresh growler (brewed this week) from the brewery. This is drinking very well IMO. It has a big citrus nose that does not really follow through on the palate. In other words, while the nose suggests a hop bomb, the palate is more restrained and balanced (though still hop-forward), which is perfect for my tastes. Some might say more an APA/CPA than IPA, but a delicious quaffer either way.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

midlife crisis wrote:^^ where did you find the BA Clifford Porter?
Pouring at the original Bar Hop location.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

New stuff over the last week:

Wellington's 2015: A Spice Odyssey - They aren't kidding about the "chai" part - tons of cardamom, ginger and cinnamon spiciness, with a tea-leafy bitterness on the back end. Well-made, but like most spiced beers it's not something I'd want to drink 750 mL of at once.
Stone Hammer Continuity Baltic Porter - Picked up at the brewery in Feb. A good strong porter; chocolate, coffee and plum/black cherry, with very slight hints of licorice and smoke. Nothing too fancy, but well-balanced and very approachable.
Refined Fool Shin Licker Schwarzbier - Decent, but nothing to write home about.
Refined Fool Glistenator Vienna Lager - Drinkable, but not an especially good Vienna-style lager. A little too sweet and dirty-tasting, reminding me more of a North American amber.

And some repeats:

Creemore Springs Premium Lager - One of the first craft beers I ever tried. Loved it at the time and still enjoy it, but it's hard to be excited by an amber lager these days, even a relatively good one like this.
Creemore Springs urBock - Never been a big bock guy but I always buy a few cans of this every winter. Good strong lager.
Creemore Springs Lot 9 Pils - Boring, but there's nothing wrong with it. Passable pils.
Brasseurs RJ Death Valley - Pulled from the cellar after about ~10 months in the dark. The hops have faded a bit but it's still a reasonably decent BIPA.
Beau's Lug Tread - I've always liked this stuff; I'm just not willing to pay a premium for it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Having an Iron Maiden Trooper 666 strong ale, it is decent. Up the Irons!

Also looking forward to opening the Nickel Brook Winey Bastard! Probably one of the best bottlings I can think of. Thank you NB!
In Beerum Veritas

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Over the past week or so:

Left Field Prospect: Galaxy
Wellington Frost Quake
TDD La Buteuse (Barrel Aged) (great).
Bellwoods Cherry/Raspberry 3 Minutes 2 Midnight
Great Lakes Body Dubbel
North Coast Barrel Aged Old Rasputin XVI
Bellwoods Double Jutsu

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Coronaeus wrote: TDD La Buteuse (Barrel Aged) (great).
Was this the brandy barrel aged edition? Curious to hear your thoughts if so.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the last five days at Hintonburg Public House, Brothers Beer Bistro, The Wellington Gastropub, and Tooth and Nail Brewing Company:

Beyond the Pale Pink Fuzz (draft)
Perth Bonfire Black Lager (draft)
Amsterdam Rosetta IPA (draft)
Hacker-Pschorr Hubertus Bock (draft)
Nickel Brook Naughty Neighbour APA (draft)
New Holland The Poet Oatmeal Stout (draft)
Stone City Ales Watchtower Conspiracy (draft)
Beau's Black Forest IPA (draft)
Amsterdam Starke Pilsner (draft)
County Road IPA (sample)
Tooth and Nail Fortitude (sample)
Tooth and Nail Vim and Vigour (sample)
Tooth and Nail Rabble Rouser (sample)
Tooth and Nail Valor (sample)
Tooth and Nail Horn Banger (sample)

Also tried an English Mild Ale from Sawdust City brewed with Earl Grey tea, but can't find it on RB/BA/Untappd. Once again Bar Trowellers came through with excellent recommendations, as I had a great time at all four spots (though I had been to Brothers twice before this latest visit). Wellington Gastropub was particularly impressive - awesome vibe, outstanding food and service, and lots of local rotators and seasonals on tap. They even saved a seat for me at the bar when I called ahead. I was also encouraged to hear that Beyond the Pale is opening a place close to Hintonburg and Tooth and Nail; sounds like that area is set to become a destination of sorts. Always enjoy coming to Ottawa.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott