Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

A Bellwoods bottled on Feb 2013, this one a 750ml Saison, barrel aged in 1/3 part Cider barrel, 1/3 part Pinot Noir barrel.

Very rounded out with a huge head, a complex fruitiness in taste and aroma and the kind of delicate dry & black peppery palate you sometimes get aging saisons.

Having this with chili-lime chicken.
In Beerum Veritas

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Belgian wrote:A Bellwoods bottled on Feb 2013, this one a 750ml Saison, barrel aged in 1/3 part Cider barrel, 1/3 part Pinot Noir barrel.

Very rounded out with a huge head, a complex fruitiness in taste and aroma and the kind of delicate dry & black peppery palate you sometimes get aging saisons.

opened a bottle of October 2013 Donkey Venom 2 nights ago. it had aged perfectly. chocolate, sour, cherry. really great.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I had a Weft & Warp last night, which gushed all over my countertop, but otherwise aged very nicely. It had a lot more depth than when it first came out, when I thought it was a pretty straightforward sour + barrel. It was my last one, I wish I had more.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

atomeyes wrote:
tried a friend's Rose d'hibiscus that they got on tap. it was not good. no longer tart like in previous years. it's changed.
amsterdam's interesting. you have 2 very talented brewers - iain and cody - but you have a large, multi-provincially-distributed brewery. so i think that amsterdam and great lakes have flipflopped. GLB had the Tank 10 series that made you wonder why they still sold their regular offerings (Red Leaf et al.), but GLB either realized Tank 10 could make them good money or actually developed some pride in their product. look where they are now. Amsterdam still pushes Boneshaker, 416, Blonde and, yes, Starke's been launched in cans, but they've stopped with Tempest (inexcusable unless the sales #s were that bad) and their (real) raspberry sour they once released through the LCBO. think the big foreheads at Amsterdam are running that ship.
Agreed on the entire paragraph. Amsterdam of late seems to be stuck in 2nd gear and complacently so.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

last night at lagerhaus 95 in buffalo while wife and kid were at coldplay concert:
2015 ommegang 3 philosphers
ithaca flower power

then walked into arena lobby, could hear music and watched stream on periscope

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

atomeyes wrote:
Belgian wrote:A Bellwoods bottled on Feb 2013, this one a 750ml Saison, barrel aged in 1/3 part Cider barrel, 1/3 part Pinot Noir barrel.

opened a bottle of October 2013 Donkey Venom 2 nights ago. it had aged perfectly. chocolate, sour, cherry. really great.

Glad to see these holding up well. I've been toying with the idea of opening a 2013 motley cru

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

atomeyes wrote:

Glad to see these holding up well. I've been toying with the idea of opening a 2013 motley cru. And that saison sounds fantastic.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

gonna derail the bellwoods train here a little bit. just got back from a great seattle trip and enjoyed some:

firestone walker union jack
reuben's ipa
rogue hazelnut brown nectar
rogue shakespeare nitro
stone ruination
boneyard bone-a-fide
holy mountain demonteller
alesmith speedway
stoup citra ipa
firestone walker stickee monkee
fremont proletariat porter
fremont ales for als
fremont interurban ipa
holy mountain somnium
bruery mocha wednesday
elysian space dust
elysian king hippo triple ipa
elysian hubris
elysian dragonstooth
elysian avatar jasmine ipa
loowit bourbon barrel-aged war tortoise
oskar blues ten fidy 2014
bruery melange #14
bruery melange #10

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
Belgian wrote:A Bellwoods bottled on Feb 2013, this one a 750ml Saison, barrel aged in 1/3 part Cider barrel, 1/3 part Pinot Noir barrel. Very rounded out with a huge head, a complex fruitiness in taste and aroma...
Glad to see these holding up well. I've been toying with the idea of opening a 2013 motley cru. And that saison sounds fantastic.
It's almost better on the second night, creamy and lemony, bit of wild strawberry. Very high CO2 in the pour, but drinks smoothly!

I have a few others mellowing - Bring out your Dead, Skeleton Key, 2 Minutes to Midnight & the Lambda which I haven't tried yet.
(Note to Self: do more cellar-diving in the near future.)
In Beerum Veritas

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Belgian wrote:
I have a few others mellowing - Bring out your Dead, Skeleton Key, 2 Minutes to Midnight & the Lambda which I haven't tried yet.
(Note to Self: do more cellar-diving in the near future.)
my motto this month.
had the Rodenbach Charactre Rouge tonight.
surprisingly sweet but a really nice beer.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The lambda turned sour. It was much better fresh, sadly.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:The lambda turned sour. It was much better fresh, sadly.
Craig made me open the Lambda.

Wow opens a little gushy, what just happened! But tastes very good - layers of really good tasty dense dark dried fruit, overlaying hints of apricot tartness and dry. Molasses cake. Sticky but not in a simple sugary way, reminds me of good port or something like that. Hints of hay and barnyard. Pretty fine stuff actually, and nothing like any Bellwoods beer I've tried before stylistically. Belgian Quad? Maybe more of an Abt, the sister style that tends darker. This is a flavorful blanket of love. My gosh this is good, so big and yet balanced.

If I had another bottle I'd open it super chilled from the fridge, set the bottle in a pot in the sink. Man that lingering apricot or something on the finish is so nice!
In Beerum Veritas

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Which vintage?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

From the Cellar:
2013 (Four Roses Bourbon) Barrel Aged Double Tempest, possibly one of Amsterdam's raddest attempts. Bottles are from the Leaside LC right near the brewery.

Gorgeous classic RIS look. Heavy on the bready-sweet malt richness and the bourbon is certainly apparent. This is a 2.7 year old bottle and my first taste, and it is what it says it is. Dark fruit, dark demerara and and mellowed roast and smooth espresso seem to predominate. Slight oily palate, finishes only a bit dry with some notable toasty oak and oak tannins. Touch of bourbon burn is nice. Aroma is sweet dark malt and espresso.

In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Provost Drunk wrote:
Which vintage?
The first one, whichever year that was.