Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:
Belgian wrote:Will have to drink up the (50th anniversary) Chimay Spéciale Cent Cinquante soon.
the thought was to not age the anniversary beer and i'd sort of agree with it. 1 year
Well it's actually good, has gingerbread, spice, vanilla and the apple-pear fruit is there, milder hops and there's dry herbs and wild honey notes and hints of lemon. Has mellower palate but much complexity. Pretty trippy!

And yes, Dulle Teve is amazing. On the Buffalo list. Soon. US exchange rate sucks though.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the week at home:
Clifford Porter
Shepherd Neame Christmas Ale
Lagunitas Sucks - Brown Shugga Substitute Ale
Samuel Smith Organic Pale Ale
Half Hours On Earth Yalla Yalla (Nelson Sauvin)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Yesterday at Beerbistro while catching up with some old friends:

Paulaner Salvator
Unibroue Trois Pistoles

Nice to revisit two classics that I haven't had in a while. The Salvator really impressed. This was my first time having it on tap and it was chock-full of caramel malts with a bit of grapey-ness. Really on point and better than I remember it being in bottled form.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Some new ticks via an LCBO gift card with some balance on it:

Sleeping Giant Northern Logger
Sleeping Giant 360 Pale Ale
Amsterdam Autumn Hop
New Limburg Belgian Blonde

Earlier at Folly/Burdock:

Folly Canadian North
Folly ULLA
Burdock IPA
Halo Event HOrizon
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

sprague11 wrote:
love this beer!

on tap at the source its crazy good

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

A growler of barncat autumn archer. So, so good.....and a perfect night for it

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At the new Big Rock satellite brewery in Etobicoke:
Big Rock Cashmere Crooner - Single Hop Lager (sample)
Big Rock Mosaic India Pale Lager (draft)
Big Rock Citradelic - Single Hop IPA (sample)
Big Rock Lip Sumac-er Gose (sample)

All surprisingly good given my low expectations. The Crooner drinks like a hoppy keller pils (in the Southampton, Amsterdam vein), the Mosaic is one of the best IPLs that I've tried, and the Lip is a very stellar lemony sour, more gueuze-like than gose-like. The Citradelic doesn't do much for me but is still the best pale ale that these guys have released. If they can maintain this level of quality and experimentation they will have my attention.

At home:
Half Hours On Earth Dinosaurs Will Die
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Recent U.S. Trip
bells two hearted
Founders breakfast stout
Dogfish head blood orange ipa
Lagunitas Down Low ale
Jacks Abby Excess IPL--man this stuff is tasty

Got some other goodies for the next week or so...too chicken shit to bring back more than my allotment
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Brothers Beer Bistro in Ottawa:
Amsterdam Parts Unknown Session IPA (sample)
Nickel Brook Duplicitous - Citra Dry Hopped Gose (draft)
Beyond The Pale Aromatherapy - American IPA (draft)
Dieu Du Ciel! & The Alchemist Moralité (draft)

The Aromatherapy lived up to the hype and the Duplicitous was also phenomenal. The Parts Unknown, by contrast, was undrinkable (waxy, herbal, and honey-like in a really gross way).
mgmoney wrote: Dogfish head blood orange ipa
Thoughts on this one?

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

I liked it. Good malt base and you can really taste the blood orange and hops are nicely balanced. Wife liked it and she hates IPAs...so not for major hopheads but a perfectly good beer to have a few of
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

Innocente - Until Proven Guilty (Whiskey Barrel-Aged)
Innocente - Kitchener Weisse
Innocente - Wet Hop

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

matt7215 wrote:
sprague11 wrote:
love this beer!

on tap at the source its crazy good
I was really curious about this one when I first read about New Limburg because it's just so rare to find a legit Belgian blonde made by a north american brewery. I hope LCBO distribution for it gets wider so I don't need to go all the way downtown to try it.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Amsterdam Pale Rider (draft)
New Limburg Belgian Blond (draft)
Beer Lab Astro Zombies IPA (draft)
Fuller's Imperial Stout (cask sample)

At home:
Great Lakes In The Shadow Of Denali - Single Hop Pale Ale
Smuttynose Baltic Porter

Agree with others that the New Limburg is a very solid and authentic take on the style.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bottle - 2015 Nickel Brook NB Winey Bastard (Pinot Noir barrel).

It's not boozy now and has settled down. Good wine fruits (cherry blackcurrant) well integrated with the base stout which now has gentler sweet fig notes and chocolate, almost like an Old Ale. The oak is a bit tannic and leafy, so I will cool this in the fridge. I enjoyed this best of all on tap at Thirsty & Miserable, loads of wine presence. An interesting beer that provokes an opinion.
* edit * Next day bottle settled in fridge tastes good, the cherry-like fruit really ties in well with tart-sweet flavors.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

2016 Fullers Vintage Ale, this one is a pretty straight forward barley wine presenting a little rustic bready grain, apple, cherry-like alefruit, vanilla, fig, and a bit of lemon from the interesting Nelson Sauvin hops. Creamy and a little spicy.
In Beerum Veritas