Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Over last few days
lake effect--1 month old but still wow
Jever Pilsner --fresh spicy crisp wonderful and at 2.05 a can unbeatable
founders breakfast stout--when can this be a regular listing?
Muskoka spring oddity--I'm done with Muskoka beers...this was just not good
Westmalle Dubbel--great example of a well made Dubbel
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Nickel Brook Kentucky Bastard, very nice
Great lakes brewery meanwhile down in Moxie IPA, decent

Enjoyed at T&M where I chatted a few minutes with Andrew from Unfiltered. Nice chap, has great opinions.
In Beerum Veritas

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

mgmoney wrote:Over last few days

i haven't bothered to drink this since it's inaugural year.
first, a brewery annointing their beer as "legendary"? lame.
i thought this was such a gross mess of a beer.
i have no idea how anyone can like it unless they've revamped the recipe.
it was like a tripel and a sweet saison?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

atomeyes wrote:

This, exactly. Had it the first year it was around and thought it terrible. I did have a friend though that absolutely loved it!? Except I actually gave it a second chance and bought a tall boy last year. I think it actually got worse

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
atomeyes wrote:

This, exactly. Had it the first year it was around and thought it terrible. I did have a friend though that absolutely loved it!? Except I gave it a second chance and bought a tall boy last year. I think it actually got worse

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
atomeyes wrote:

This, exactly. Had it the first year it was around and thought it terrible. I did have a friend though that absolutely loved it!? Except I actually gave it a second chance and bought a tall boy last year. I think it actually got worse
My wife is one of those crazy people that love this beer. I don't get it. Maybe she's buying it so I wont steal her beers :)
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
atomeyes wrote:

i also don't get any love people have for their Winter Beard. maybe its changed, but it used to have a frozen peas taste to it that was pretty gross. yet people raved about it.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Over the last while from a Florida beer haul.

Funky Buddha Maple Bacon Coffee Porter — Smells like a coffee with lots of cream and maple syrup. Taste is really sweet, a little cloying. Didn't get any bacon or salted chocolate notes I read about. Nice to try but i think this is over hyped and over priced (US$18.99 bomber at Total Wine).
Funky Buddha Nib Smuggler — decent milk porter, a bit too sweet for me
Terrapin W-n-B Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Love this one. Approaching Peche greatness in my opinion.
Sweetwater IPA - Highly recommend
Cigar City - Jai Alai - always good
Cigar City - White Oak Jai Alai - prefer original Jai Alai

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the last week plus at home:
Orval Trappist Ale - Always a joy to drink (whether fresh or aged).
Bellwoods C-Star - Big dank and resiny hops, orange peel, pine, and some biscuit to balance. Medium, juicy mouthfeel with a spicy middle and lightly bitter-dry finish. Great IPA.
Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS) - Roasted malt, freshly ground coffee, dark chocolate, bourbon, oak barrel, and vanilla all in perfect balance. Full mouthfeel and the ABV is well hidden. A killer impy stout.
Bellwoods IPA w/ Columbus & Chinook - Compared to the outstanding C-Star, this one was a bit of a letdown. Just okay IMO.
Great Lakes Harry Porter - Roast, dark chocolate sweetness, and mild bitters with some grain husk and ash on the cough. Creamy, silky, medium mouthfeel. A very solid robust porter.
Bellwoods Hellwoods - Stellar RIS.
Goose Island Four Star Pils - As with most GI core brands, an above average take on the style that falls well short of greatness.
Great Lakes Robohop DIPA - Passion fruit, navel orange, guava, nectarine, and lemon aromas. Hints of evergreen and alcohol as well. Taste mostly follows with a medium-full mouthfeel and some warmth going down. Good.
Central City Red Racer Pils - Tasty, well-made, inoffensive pils. Though decent, there are better, more characterful pilsners in this market. A "one and done" for me.
Der Hirschbräu Höss Doppel-Hirsch - Caramel drizzled brown bread with some figgy-pruney notes. Medium-full mouhtfeel with a balanced sweetness mid-palate and semi-dry finish. Tasty doppelbock.
Oakham Ales Green Devil IPA - Not bad, but probably won't revisit.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

New stuff over the last week or so:

-Four Fathers "The Starter" Session IPA - LCBO tallboy. Pours muddy amber, with prodigiously long-lasted head. My tastebuds sensed almost nothing other than C-hops: grapefruit, orange and some peach at first, with a floral, earthy finish with some lingering resiny qualities. The bitterness at the finish is a bit too persistent for my preferences, but otherwise this is a fairly good SIPA.
-Founders All Day IPA - LCBO bottled sixer. Hints of wheaty pale malt sweetness are obscured by hoppy lemon rind/grapefruit citrus and floral notes. Finishes earthy, but the bitterness doesn't persist. A top notch SIPA.
-Amager / Prairie Tulsa Twister - LCBO bottle. I haven't tried a new saison in months, so I've been craving one - this really did the job nicely. Citrus, apple, melons and peach, with a pleasant wheat malt sweetness. Floral/grassy hops on the back end, with some peppery spice at the finish and a dry aftertaste. The 8.8% is very well-hidden. Well worth a look.
-Phillips Short Wave West Coast Pale Ale - TBS tallboy. I've always been partial to Phillips' hoppy offerings, and this was no exception. Ridiculously good head retention, with a bready, biscuity malt backbone. Orange, grapefruit and apricot fruitiness, with subtle pine at the finish. Soft, creamy texture. Well-made, if not a stand-out in the category.
-Goose Island Four Star Pils - TBS tallboy. A respectable, run of the mill pils; I can't find anything to complain (or rave) about. Not likely to see much service in the future, considering that Jever is a buck cheaper per can. Hell, even PU is 25 cents cheaper, and that's a way better pils.

And a few revisits:

-DDC Moralité - LCBO 4-pack. Still one of my favourite Canadian IPAs overall, and certainly the best one I've had out of Quebec (at least, of the ones which see any distribution).
-Sir Isaac's Premium Pear Cider - LCBO tallboy. Passable, but too saccharine. The cider variety in Ontario has vastly improved over the last 2 years, but the perry situation is still pretty sad. I think I prefer Grow A Pear over this one
-MacLean's Pale Ale - LCBO tallboy. More English-style than most of the pale ales on the market these days. Decent, but not something I plan to buy regularly.
-Hockley Classic - LCBO tallboy. A very weak effort; I think this might be the same beer as their Georgian Bay Dipper. All in all, I'd rather drink a Grolsch. Sad to see these guys circling the drain.

Hoppy's Tavern

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

Preparing a review right now for the Cobblestone Stout from Mill St.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Just buy Guiness instead...
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Barnstormer Accelerated Stall IIPA
—LCBO#: 498469 | 473 mL can
8.4% abv, 80+ IBU $3.25

Not a fan of flight delay and after the first sip of this I didn't think I'd like it either but it grew on me. Not bad.

Bench Brewing 20 Mile Farmhouse Ale
—LCBO#: 508515 | 473 mL can
5.3% abv, $2.95
highly rated by a few BT'ers on ratebeer

Great farmhouse saison. Nothing fancy, no crazy flavours thrown in, just a damn good beer.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Haven't had a bad Bench offering yet. But the Citra Grove in 750 ml bottle is a bit much for me...I want about 12-15 oz of this max before moving on to other styles...just a personal preference

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

mgmoney wrote:Haven't had a bad Bench offering yet. But the Citra Grove in 750 ml bottle is a bit much for me...I want about 12-15 oz of this max before moving on to other styles...just a personal preference
Agreed. Unless you have one or preferably two people to share that bottle with, it's too much for me alone.

EDIT: That said, I'm drinking a Jelly King right now lol (500 ml bottle). Find this goes down easier than Citra Grove for the style. Although I won't have a second.