Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Different strokes, I suppose. I don't mind Stella that much and would have no problem drinking a Heineken (if someone else is paying for it :wink: ). But I found Norway to have more noticeable noble hopping than either of those, and a more enjoyable pilsener malt backbone overall. It was good, but in the end I'd rather pay 2 bucks for Jever instead of $3 for Norway.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

That Jacobins Rouge man is one damn tasty beer . Sad I can't find anymore in Durham region.
One more vote for Jever being the best beer to price value in Ontario.
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

darmokandjalad wrote:Different strokes, I suppose. I don't mind Stella that much and would have no problem drinking a Heineken (if someone else is paying for it :wink: ). But I found Norway to have more noticeable noble hopping than either of those, and a more enjoyable pilsener malt backbone overall. It was good, but in the end I'd rather pay 2 bucks for Jever instead of $3 for Norway.

I hear ya, Norway just didn't do it for me. Agreed, give me a jever. But to be honest I'm almost always disappointed when buying a craft lager, as I really don't taste a whole lot of difference from macro stuff. Only exception I can think of off the top of my head is brooklyn lager and hops and robbers Pilsner. I had a red racer Pilsner last weekend and had to chug the last 1/3 of it just to get it down.

Hoppy's Tavern

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

Just finished drinking the "Release of the Hounds" dark IPA, from Big Rig Brewery
It was good, but confusing.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

This is a fun thread. I drink a fair bit of beer, here are a few I've enjoyed over the past week or so:

Bench Brewing Twenty Mile Farmhouse Ale: Really nice crisp and dry saison. A bit hop forward as far as the style goes, but loaded with great spice and fruity characteristics. Flavourful and quenching.

Left Field Sweet Jesus Mocha Marshmallow Stout: This one was hiding in my beer fridge from sometime around the beginning of the year. I'm usually weary of overly flavoured beers, and not a big fan of sweet beers in general, but sweet jesus this is good (sorry). It works for me because all the chocolatey sweetness is balanced nicely by the coffee bitterness and a slight woody char note on the finish. It comes together really nicely, I've really been loving Left Field as of late.

Left Field Spaceman Double Dry Hopped IPA: And Left Field again: This one uses lupulin powder, which seems to be the rage right now. Another very delicious beer from them, lots of aromatics and juiciness with a restrained bitterness. Well worth a try, if you enjoyed their Laser Light Show you'll like this.

Left Field Cherry Lime Squeeze Play: I might have visited the brewery lately... Another winner in my books, super refreshing with a nice citric tartness although it's on the mild end of the sour spectrum. I'm not typically a fan of lime in beer (too many awful Corona memories maybe?) but it worked nicely with the cherry. Great colour too. Very refreshing, this would be an ideal dock beer up at the cottage for me.

Uerige Alt: Beautiful beer, truly a yardstick of its style. I think someone else in here said essentially the same thing, but definite proof that simple can be best. It really doesn't sound impressive on paper, but this beer just comes through so perfectly with its balance of malt and hops. These are brewers who've mastered the art of brewing, I don't think I've tasted a single altbier in Ontario that is even half as good; maybe Creemore's Collaboration, but they developed the recipe with German alt brewers, and I still think Uerige is in a class above.

Wellington Chocolate Milk Stout: Maybe I had this too close to Left Field's Sweet Jesus, but this one is pretty meh. Too sweet and with excessive carbonation, it comes off almost like drinking a soda. I'm not typically a sweet/milk stout fan anyway though, so unless it's an excellent example of the style it's a hard sell for me.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Having a shot of Utopias while listening to the grateful dead's greatest concert on the 40th anniversary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srb-HiMSLms

Edit: next up a 14° Orval from the cold storage room
Last edited by GtownRandy on Thu May 11, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Forked River Raspberry Mojo Wit with Rhubarb at TM
Clifford Porter from Hamilton, always very good, at TM.

NULA soured NE IPA from Burdock, bottle.
Grab the Saison du Must it's in the bottle shop right now as well.
In Beerum Veritas

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Old Tomorrow Monty's Aged Rye Ale

Description on the can includes "...with hints of rye...". For me, it's more than hints. I find the rye flavour quite prominent. If you like rye, try this for sure.

The "Monty" is for John Montgomery, gold medal winner at the Vancouver 2010 Olympics, and his epic march through downtown Whistler with a pitcher of beer.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the weekend at Bar Hop, C'est What?, and beerbistro:
Halo New Wave IPA (draft)
Indie Alehouse Spadina Monkey - Cherries (draft)
Stone City Ales Uncharted India Pale Ale (draft)
Left Field Squeeze Play - Cherry Lime (draft)

Right now:
Beau's Full Time IPA
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Hoppy's Tavern

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

Just finished a beer from Collective Arts - Ransack the Universe

Overall a good beer that will appeal the people that like Dry and bitter beers

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Over the past two weeks or so:

-Woodhouse Stout - LCBO can. Looks great in the glass with an inky complexion and frothy tan head. Mostly just roasted malts throughout the sip; coffee, cocoa and molasses. A genuine session stout if there ever was one; I don't know if it's available on nitro but I'd love to try it in that format.
-Smuttynose Robust Porter - TBS bottle from a sixer. Loved it. Rich dark malt flavour; coffee, dark chocolate, hints of dark fruits, and a roasty, well-hopped earthy finish. I hope we continue seeing new Smutty beers in ON in the future, because they just keep impressing me over and over again.
-Sweetgrass Maple Butter Tart Ale - LCBO can. Promising at first; it actually does smell like what it claims to. But I just didn't dig this one, because it's too sweet and blatant about its flavouring.
-Bench Twenty Mile Farmhouse Ale - LCBO can. Finally, a sessionable saison in the LCBO (haven't seen Black Oak's in a while now, and Blonde de Chambly is only in those mixed packs). Nothing too fancy; it drinks like a nice, light, fruity Belgian pale ale. This and Ball's Falls are going to be May 24 staples for me this year, I think.
-Old Rasputin - LCBO bomber. Haven't had this one in a long time; basically the gold standard of the RIS style IMO. Tastes like luxury. I should have grabbed at least three more bottles than I did. D'oh.
-Beau's Full Time IPA - LCBO bottle, dated May 4 2017 and BB Sept 4. I lean towards being a Beau's skeptic but this is probably their best IPA I have tried to date. Very fruity, with citrus, melon, grape and berry flavours underlain by a bready, caramelized malt background and resiny, earthy finish. This is worth trying, but do them a solid and try it soon (before the Citra and Nelson Sauvin hops start to fade).

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I'm also usually skeptical of
Beaus(rightly so) but I've heard some good things about this ipa

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Anderson IPA

Drinking the 4th can tonight of a 6-pack I bought a couple of weeks ago. This is a good one.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Just got home from work on this lovely warm night and thought some gueuze would hit the spot while I dangle my feet in the pool, so grabbed a cellar temp cuvée Rene from a year ago lcbo release. Wife said it smelled disgusting, I think it's like funky champagne. I guess gueuze is like the grateful dead, you either love it or hate it

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sofakingdrunk wrote:I'm also usually skeptical of Beaus(rightly so) but I've heard some good things about Full Time ipa

Well Ive always liked Kissmeyer Nordic Pale Ale. Some Beaus beers are not so good without food (the sweeter ones may go well with BBQ) but this one stands alone, and it used to be cheap on tap at The Comrade.

Having a great bottle of Aphrodisiaque. Puffy head, cacao dark fruit light coffee roast and vanilla on the end. I will have to go to DDC soon.

Earlier had a de-alco Weizen from Valentin's. You can buy at Brandt store.
In Beerum Veritas