Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

At Saint-houblon:

Le Bibloquet Mackroken Flower Scotch Ale

I discovered Saint-Houblon last year - just a stone's throw south on Rue Saint-Denis from Saint-Bock. 24 (almost) exclusively Quebec micro taps (one lonely Beau's offering for variety); it's a less deep and less interesting menu overall than Saint-Bock, but still assured to offer a couple of interesting things and a nice space. Tonight, for me, it's a half pint of Mackroken Flower to close out a lovely day in Montreal. Look forward to having this one at the L this winter - and at a better price than most depanneurs in La Belle Province no less!

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Provost Drunk wrote:Right now at Le Saint-Bock in Montreal:

JW Lees Harvest Ale Lagavulin 2011
The Avery Brewing Company Samael's (Oak Aged Strong Ale)
Le Saint-Bock RIP 2017 (Russian Imperial Porter)
Le Saint-Bock RIP 2009 (Russian Imperial Porter)
Le Saint-Bock RIP 2017 Bourbon (Bourbon Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Porter)
Les Trois Mosquetaires Porter Baltique Special Edition (blend of bourbon and brandy barrel aged naltic porter)

All 4 oz. pours - average ABV of these beers is around 12% so moderation is key.

I've long been a fan of this bar and they usually a few beers on tap to capture my interest, but I've never seen a line up like this. I'm in Montreal on business for one night only so needed to pick my spot carefully. Did some research and Saint-Bock's present line-up blew the competition out of the water. As of yesterday, they also had Avery Uncle Jacob's Stout (BBA imperial) and The Bruery Mash & Vanilla (BBA barleywine) pouring. These must have run dry today, much to the chagrin of my tastebuds (but I suppose my liver celebrated).

Apparently, these are remnants from an 11th anniversary line-up.

The JW Lees stands out is an all around exceptional line-up - great peated scotch finish; an instant classic in my books.

Excellent opportunity the side-by-side the RIP beers. The 2017 is truthfully a bit of a boozey mess. But man did the 2009 age well. The alcohol heat settled and the underlying porter shines through. Barrel aging also rounded it out a bit. A lot of wood on the nose, but restrained on the palate and some added depth in flavour profile.

The price is steep on a lot of these pours, but being out of town helps justify the splurge. It's also a great lead in to Cask Days - both my wallet and liver are taking a pounding in the coming days!

Drool.....

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Currently drinking a Boneshaker IPA from a Duvel glass.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Descendents El Buscador

Really disappointed in this one, as I recall liking the previous two offerings from them that I have tried (Harbinger American Pale Ale, Reynard The Fox Golden Wrye Ale). This one is 4% alc, which in itself is fine, but unfortunately, this tastes like a MEH light beer to me.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Fullers Vintage Ale 2012.

Hofbraühaus Original Lager

Orval 2014 - oh lordy please tell me we are getting more Orval at some point soon!
In Beerum Veritas

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Five year old Westy 12 (for the second time in a couple of weeks) while watching The World Series.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BeerIsGood wrote:Five year old Westy 12 (for the second time in a couple of weeks) while watching The World Series.
How are those 5YO Westies? Any bottle variations between the two, or differences from newer ones tried?
In Beerum Veritas

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Hey Belgian, I would say a little smoother and maybe more dark fruit taste than originally.

I read somewhere that fifteen years is the sweet spot, but mine won't last that long.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Well, it's 2:00PM, so go big or go home. For me it's the 750ml cork and cage bottle of Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer from a recently purchased Gouden Carolus glass. Quite creamy, moderately sweet, and the 11% percent is well disguised. I've always enjoyed the Gouden Carolus line, particularly Hopsinjoor.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the last two and a half weeks:

At The Cellar Door:
Junction Craft Conductor's Ale (draft)
Junction Craft Junction Road Black Lager (can)

At Crafty Coyote:
Spearhead Oktoberfest Lager (draft)
BrewDog Elvis Juice (draft)

At Henry VIII Ale House:
Fuller's London Pride (draft)
Lagunitas India Pale Ale (draft)

At The Monk's Kettle:
Beau's Three Knocks (draft)
Black Oak 10 Bitter Years (draft)

At home:
Great Lakes Johnny Simcoe Pale Ale
Oud Beersel Oude Geuze
Indie Ale House Shadow Chaser IPA
Indie Ale House Breakfast Porter
Indie Ale House Iconoclast IPA
Great Lakes Hopped Improperly
Indie Ale House & Resurgence Hestu's Gift DIPA
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Microbrasserie Riverbend Vin d'orge, brought back from Montreal by my wife.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Bellwoods x Trillium Cutting Bells. :o

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Nickel Brook Bolshevik Bastard RIS from a Stone Imperial Russian Stout glass. I really like this one, although that's true of most in this style.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Birreria Volo:
Barrier Suite IPA (draft)
Cascade Apricot Ale (sample)
Hair of the Dog & Dieu du Ciel! Oatmeal Stout (draft)
Hair of the Dog Cherry Fred from the Wood (sample)
Oxbow Punch Brook (draft)

At home:
Founders Mosaic Promise
Bellwoods & Trillium Cutting Bells
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

@barhop
Bellwoods Jutsu
Great Lakes grimaces tears on nitro-didn’t think this was a milkshake ipa at all-underwhelmed
Muddy York-the English best bitter can’t remember the name, but enjoyed true to style

@home
Fairweather sundrop ipa, very nice west coast style ipa
Little Beasts experimental blonde and ipa, both very good true to style and I’m quite excited about this new brewery in my neck of the woods
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...