What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
BartOwl
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:14 pm
Location: King and Beerthurst

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby BartOwl » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:52 pm

Forked River Flanders Red - Sour, acidic, fig-like maltiness with some fruitiness. Yum.
S. St. Jeb
Bar Fly
Posts: 693
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: Burlington, ON

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby S. St. Jeb » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:06 pm

Some colleagues will occasionally gather after work on Friday at a local establishment. We did so today, and I started with Ransack the Universe. I love this beer. It is definitely one of my all time favourite IPAs.

Afterwards, at home, I had an Exchange 'New England' IPA. My expectations were low given a previous comment. I didn't find it that bad. But I definitely agree that "New England IPA" is a misnomer. If it was branded as a Pale Ale, an IPA, or even just a regular ale, I think it is OK.
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 682
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby sofakingdrunk » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:38 pm

S. St. Jeb wrote:Some colleagues will occasionally gather after work on Friday at a local establishment. We did so today, and I started with Ransack the Universe. I love this beer. It is definitely one of my all time favourite IPAs.

Afterwards, at home, I had an Exchange 'New England' IPA. My expectations were low given a previous comment. I didn't find it that bad. But I definitely agree that "New England IPA" is a misnomer. If it was branded as a Pale Ale, an IPA, or even just a regular ale, I think it is OK.



Agreed, had a couple cans of Ransack last night and was just thinking how I never get sick of it. Almost a perfect ipa for my tastes.
beerstodiscover
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby beerstodiscover » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:45 pm

Weihenstephaner / Sierra Nevada Braupakt — This is just about at its BB date and has lost any notable hoppiness. However it still a delicious Hefe, on the creamy side with loads of peachy-banana going on.

I picked this up at Brunswick Bierworks, they have about 5-6 Weihenstephaner beers in the fridge.
midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1936
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby midlife crisis » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:34 pm

beerstodiscover wrote:Weihenstephaner / Sierra Nevada Braupakt — This is just about at its BB date and has lost any notable hoppiness. However it still a delicious Hefe, on the creamy side with loads of peachy-banana going on.

I picked this up at Brunswick Bierworks, they have about 5-6 Weihenstephaner beers in the fridge.


Brewed under licence at that facility, correct?
beerstodiscover
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby beerstodiscover » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:05 pm

midlife crisis wrote:Brewed under licence at that facility, correct?


I don’t think so. They also sell La Trappe products in the bottle shop. I do wonder how they get away with it.
midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1936
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby midlife crisis » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:19 pm

Pretty sure it's because they are brewed there. Same as Omnipollo.
User avatar
cratez
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2185
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:29 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby cratez » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:48 am

At Dundas & Sons Brewing:
Sons Of Kent Astro Pils (flight sample)
Dundas & Sons Lemon Kettle Sour (flight sample)
Dundas & Sons Nitro Stout (flight sample)
Dundas & Sons Sour IPA (flight sample)

At The Morrissey House:
Powerhouse Homecoming Pale Ale (draft)

At Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Left Field Sweet Spot - Mocha Marshmallow Stout (draft)
Burdock APA - Vic Secret, Ella, Mosaic & Citra (draft)
Beerlab! Porter (sample)
Beerlab! Dry Hopped Saison (sample)

Over the week at home:
Junction Craft Humber River Pilsner
Junction Craft, Rainhard & Shacklands Aleyards Session IPA
Bearded Iris Joy Ride IPA
Junction Craft West Toronto Weizen
Lake Of Bays Sunseeker Tangerine Pale Ale
Cowbell Gravel Run Session IPA
Beau's Altbier
Caribru IPA
Walkerville Road Block Doppelbock
Forked River Interstellar IPA
Flying Monkeys Sparklepuff Triple IPA
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott
beerstodiscover
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby beerstodiscover » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:05 pm

midlife crisis wrote:Pretty sure it's because they are brewed there. Same as Omnipollo.


The La Trappe stuff (Tripel, Quad and Oak-Aged Quad) is surely not brewed there. It has the Trappist seal on it.
User avatar
ErkLR
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:21 am
Location: London, ON

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby ErkLR » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:27 pm

cratez wrote:At Dundas & Sons Brewing:
Dundas & Sons Lemon Kettle Sour (flight sample)
Dundas & Sons Nitro Stout (flight sample)
Dundas & Sons Sour IPA (flight sample)


What did you think of the D&S beers in general? I haven't been, but a couple friends who are not particularly picky attended the opening and had bad things to say about their beers. I was hoping it was just some issues with rushing to open.
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1650
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby Craig » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:14 pm

LTM Baltic Porter that's been in the cellar since 2013. Held up beautifully. So good.
User avatar
cratez
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2185
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:29 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby cratez » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:51 am

ErkLR wrote: What did you think of the D&S beers in general? I haven't been, but a couple friends who are not particularly picky attended the opening and had bad things to say about their beers. I was hoping it was just some issues with rushing to open.

The beers are straight up awful, and out of the hundreds of breweries I've visited, I would put D&S in the bottom 5. The stout on nitro - presumably intended to be a roasty dry stout with a creamy mouthfeel - was amberish in colour and sour in taste with a thin mouthfeel. The two *actual* sour beers tasted identical despite having different names and ABVs. The Turbo Squirrel (friend's sample) is supposed to be a traditional brown ale but was cloudy, tart, thin, and undrinkable. Overall, just a huge gong show, and I don't plan to go back. On the bright side, the Astro Pils from Sons Of Kent was pretty solid, and we took in some of the Juno festivities after visiting, so it wasn't a total waste of time. :lol:
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott
seangm
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby seangm » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:51 am

midlife crisis wrote:Pretty sure it's because they are brewed there. Same as Omnipollo.


I picked up some Weihenstephaner Dunkel a while back and they told me it's not brewed there, but is from the brewery in Germany. I'm not sure what arrangement they have but they're definitely selling imported bottles.
User avatar
ErkLR
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:21 am
Location: London, ON

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby ErkLR » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:56 pm

cratez wrote:
ErkLR wrote: What did you think of the D&S beers in general? I haven't been, but a couple friends who are not particularly picky attended the opening and had bad things to say about their beers. I was hoping it was just some issues with rushing to open.

The beers are straight up awful, and out of the hundreds of breweries I've visited, I would put D&S in the bottom 5. The stout on nitro - presumably intended to be a roasty dry stout with a creamy mouthfeel - was amberish in colour and sour in taste with a thin mouthfeel. The two *actual* sour beers tasted identical despite having different names and ABVs. The Turbo Squirrel (friend's sample) is supposed to be a traditional brown ale but was cloudy, tart, thin, and undrinkable. Overall, just a huge gong show, and I don't plan to go back. On the bright side, the Astro Pils from Sons Of Kent was pretty solid, and we took in some of the Juno festivities after visiting, so it wasn't a total waste of time. :lol:


Thanks for the review. That's too bad, I was hoping for another good craft brewery in London. I'll probably check them out sometime just to see. I hope they step things up.

Return to “Random Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests