Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

old faithful wrote:A sampler is 3 glasses of 5 ounces each, for $5.00. Well worth it to try a variety. I never used to do it but I decided where a pub permits it to do this more often because sometimes I don't like something new (or old) that I am trying. With the sampler you reduce the risk. After the first sampler I should have had a full pint of the Barley Days but I decided to try further beers. Might go back later today, I was impressed by the Barley Days not just for its body and balance but its good taste.

Gary
Thanks for the heads up, Gary. I think samplers are a great idea, and I tend to gravitate them when I go on vacation to give myself a better exposure of all the beers I haven't had before. The Volo samplers should come in handy. I've often gone with friends and wanted to introduce them to new styles, but a whole pint of something radical can be risky.

Tonight is an import night. I've drank so much Ontario beer lately that I figured I should share the love with our international friends. I've had a distinctly average Greene King IPA, a very solid Kostritzer and a Duvel. I may well have an Avenitnus before bed, but we'll see. Last night was my brother-in-law's birthday. Someone was drinking Erdinger from a bottle. I guess its better than blue from a bottle...

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

St. Andre Bohemian/Vienna Lager. Definitely better than the last sixer I got, which was 2 months expired and carried seriously bizarre vegetable flavours and a funky sour aspect that could rival any Lambic out there, but it's still not quite as good as I remember it being the first time I had it. Granted it's still not all that fresh, expiring in October, but it's still quite good and I'm enjoying it. A nice session. But I kind of wish I was drinking a variety of Vienna's instead of one :(.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Tsarina Katarina and homebrew Houblon Chouffe clone.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Enjoying a Morimoto Soba Ale from Rogue...their Buckwehat Ale I guess in other realms.
Very tasty and refreshing, goes down smooth.

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

Green Flash Brewing Imperial IPA. Damn, this is a great beer. Also had the Bierophile Cascade IPA which was pretty good too.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Elora Special Bitter. Best I can say was it hadn't gone off yet. A bit of caramel malt, but no hop presence to speak of.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Coincidentally, since just debating the freshness of it in another thread, the Brakspear bitter. Tastes just fine to me.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Jon Walker wrote:Coincidentally, since just debating the freshness of it in another thread, the Brakspear bitter. Tastes just fine to me.
Actually, after reading the aforementioned thread, I went and got one from under the stairs myself. I have to concur. Followed it up with a Propeller ESB. Very fine adult beverage.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Magni

Post by Magni »

Enjoying a Garrison Nut brown.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I just spent the week in L.A. enjoying the choices.
The best was the North Coast Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. You just don't find that kind of goodness around here :cry:

Here's another interesting thing I noticed down there. A corner store had sixes of Sierra Nevada on sale at $4.60. The same wall had 2 quart California orange juice (not even 'premium' stuff) for the same price. I find it hard to believe producing orange juice is as much of a value-add as brewing.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Enjoyed a Tsarina Katarina and Rochefort 10 at beerbistro tonight. the Mussels Quack Kwak were delicious too.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Cameron's Cream Ale
Sleeman's 20th anniversary
'04 Maudite
'04 Terrible

:D

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Derek wrote:Cameron's Cream Ale
Sleeman's 20th anniversary
'04 Maudite
'04 Terrible

:D

Those Unibroue beers better be bombers young man!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Unibroue doesn't make any beer in bombers.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

viggo wrote:Unibroue doesn't make any beer in bombers.

The big bottles. I call 600-750 ml bottles all bombers.

And you probably knew what I meant anyway, so don't try to ruin the fun son.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!