Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Derek wrote:Actually I was flipping back & forth... but finally tired of both.
Same for me, but I was drinking a Rogue hazelnut brown...pretty good stuff, the beer that is.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I had a Baltika tonight, mostly to help give me a better perspective on Russia and foreign issues of course.

I managed to watch most of both debates somehow, and in all honesty, I think the Canadian was by far and away the more entertaining one. There was too much mutual ass-kissing in the vice presidential debate. I like the 'lets sit around a table and yell at each other out of turn' style the Canadian debate had :P.

You tell 'em Gilles! :lol:

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Sake from a beer vending mahine in kyoto. Best beer I`ve had since being here is Minoh double IPA from a town outside of Osaka.

Here`s one for you lcbo hateres - chimay blue and rochefort 10 are readily available at department stores, yet I have no bottle opener.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Just use your teeth. It works for me when there's no other option. Your back mollers (sp?) are pretty strong!

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Just use your teeth. It works for me when there's no other option. Your back mollers (sp?) are pretty strong!
Ah, to be young again :D

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Bobsy wrote:Sake from a beer vending mahine in kyoto. Best beer I`ve had since being here is Minoh double IPA from a town outside of Osaka.

Here`s one for you lcbo hateres - chimay blue and rochefort 10 are readily available at department stores, yet I have no bottle opener.
use the sharpest edge you can find eg. desk, table

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:
Bobsy wrote:Sake from a beer vending mahine in kyoto. Best beer I`ve had since being here is Minoh double IPA from a town outside of Osaka.

Here`s one for you lcbo haters - chimay blue and rochefort 10 are readily available at department stores, yet I have no bottle opener.
use the sharpest edge you can find eg. desk, table
if outside - a park bench, stone pedestal etc

Bic lighter

can pry up edges with a knife, scissor, key or coin...
In Beerum Veritas

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Bobsy wrote: chimay blue and rochefort 10 are readily available at department stores, yet I have no bottle opener.
....or you can just buy a bottle opener!

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

At Abbott On The Hill tonight, an 11% ABV strong version of Gouden Carolus called 2007 Cuvee Van de Keizer, a most impressive raisiny chocolately dram (is the only word) of beer.

Also, a citric wheat beer called Margriet, also Belgian. Both from Roland and Russell I believe. The height of quality.

Gary

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

old faithful wrote:At Abbott On The Hill tonight, an 11% ABV strong version of Gouden Carolus called 2007 Cuvee Van de Keizer, a most impressive raisiny chocolately dram (is the only word) of beer.
There`s another great beer I saw today.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Adversity is obviously no limit to a bartoweller who wants his beer. I think I`ll have a rochefort 10 tonight. Went to some good temples and the shogun`s palace today, and sandwiched in a stop at a sake/beer brewery to escape the heat. 3 beers - a kolsch, alt and schwarz. They love their German styles. Interestingly, they also classify a pint as about 390ml, which certainly helps if you want to try a range of styles and not get hammered.

Hope everyone had fun at C@est What. The beer list looked awesome.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Had a few St Ambroise Oatmeal stouts last night...an awesome beer which I have taken for granted.

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

Watching some football, and enjoying an Nogne O #100. The brewer claims the barley wine label on the bottle was a typo, and the beer is really a DIPA. Well after my pour of the beer, i have to wonder what it is. It looks like a porter but smells like a mix of a DIPA, and a heavily hopped and heavily malted barley wine. Very interesting beer.

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

robinvboyer wrote:Watching some football, and enjoying an Nogne O #100. The brewer claims the barley wine label on the bottle was a typo, and the beer is really a DIPA. Well after my pour of the beer, i have to wonder what it is. It looks like a porter but smells like a mix of a DIPA, and a heavily hopped and heavily malted barley wine. Very interesting beer.
Glad you are enjoying Nøgne Ø.
We just signed Nøgne Ø last week and are planning to bring two of their beers here around New Year. More details coming soon.

Cheers,
R+R
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

R & R again comes through with a stellar signing!! Congrats!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Westmalle Dubbel. I really love this one, the red wine aspect to it is really nice. Everything in it works really well in my view. Very happy it's available in this release, and I can't wait to get the gift pack with the glass fairly soon too!