Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Southern Tier Crème Brûlée Stout...was really looking forward to this one, but I found it had an after-taste, perhaps licorice, that, while not unpleasant, didn't work for me with the up-front vanilla/caramel aroma. Probably my least favourite of their Blackwater Series of stouts.

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

One of my favorite's from one of the best breweries in the U.S. Victory Old Horizontal.

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

kinguy wrote:Southern Tier Crème Brûlée Stout...was really looking forward to this one, but I found it had an after-taste, perhaps licorice, that, while not unpleasant, didn't work for me with the up-front vanilla/caramel aroma. Probably my least favourite of their Blackwater Series of stouts.
Yep. I had high hopes for it as well but it seems to have over the top flavour. Maybe it will age well.
The "Oat", "Chocolat" are both stellar though.
irishkyle21 wrote:One of my favorite's from one of the best breweries in the U.S. Victory Old Horizontal.
Hard to beat and aptly named. I think Victory is the most underrated brewery in the U.S. Doesn't get the recognition that Three Floydd's, Stone and Alesmith do, but I'd put Victory beers up against them any time.

(And I just finished a Victory Storm King right now).

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

How did this slip to the second page in the forum?

Galt Knife Old style. Nice with some old cheddar and Ace bread.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Derek wrote:How did this slip to the second page in the forum?

Galt Knife Old style. Nice with some old cheddar and Ace bread.
Im jamming on the GR Highballer Pumpkin Ale and it is magnificant!

DrJay

Post by DrJay »

Just finished a Troegs Scratch 14. Now I'm working on a Green Flash Le Freak. And I can't believe I still haven't had anything from Grand River. I really have to track some of their beer down when I'm in Toronto this November.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I am sipping slowly on a bottle of Kelley's. it is a fine wine with a touch of the old blarney. It is 20% alcohol, so I find that adding a few ice cubes to a high baller glass of the stuff really helps. I also serve it ice cold.

After I finish my Kelley's, I will move on to a bottle of Baby Duck. It is a classic Ontario Sparkling wine that has left wine writers speechless for decades.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Atwater Block Vanilla Java Porter...very nice, understated vanilla and coffee notes

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

DrJay wrote:And I can't believe I still haven't had anything from Grand River. I really have to track some of their beer down when I'm in Toronto this November.
They're bottling now, so I have a few on hand (they're about a mile from my parents house). Just let me know if you'd like anything.
kinguy wrote:Atwater Block Vanilla Java Porter...very nice, understated vanilla and coffee notes
You might want to wear eye protection when handling those things...

http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/index.s ... jured.html

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

SteelbackGuy wrote: that has left wine writers speechless for decades.
Probably because they were too busy spitting that nasty slop out to speak.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Southern Tier Crème Brûlée. Damn that's nice.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

kinguy wrote:Atwater Block Vanilla Java Porter...very nice, understated vanilla and coffee notes
Just had this on draught on Friday night. Wonderfully rich and decadent, high in vanilla and milk chocolate, so I'm guessing the draught is a lot better than the bottles. Grabbed a few bottles to have at a later date and compare.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jan Primus wrote:Had a few St Ambroise Oatmeal stouts last night...an awesome beer which I have taken for granted.
Damn right Jan. It is one of those beers with so many sides to it to apprieciate. Right now the almost smoky quality of the patent malts is what I am noticing. Totally unique.

In other news,

I had several Scotch Irish Corporal Bitter Brown this weekend, which is a beer that starts pretty nice, and then seems to get DAMN nice. God damn good beer, even lacking the jaunty cricket paddle.

I think Heritage is becoming my unlikely hero for 'session' ales around the house... strange because their Sgt Majors is still rather awful for an IPA. I wish they could do it better is all I want to say - God love them for trying.
In Beerum Veritas

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

Enjoyed a Smuttynose Imperial Stout this evening, a really good quality imperial stout. I had tried some of the bottle of John By i had left from last year, and they have really gone down hill, the bottle i had was sour, and undrinkable, i got two left i wonder if they are the same.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I had a D'Ham Noire last night to help knock me out and combat this hideous jetlag. Lots of caramel and fruit flavours coming out of the malt, which really impressed me. It also di the job, and I slept from midnight until 9am (I woke up at 2:30am the previous day).