Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

DragonOfBlood wrote:And what do tannins taste like?
Tannins (mainly condensed tannins) are found in wine, particularly red wine. Tannins in wine can come from many sources and the tactile properties differ depending on the source. Tannins in grape skins and seeds (the latter being especially harsh) tend to be more noticeable in red wines, which are fermented while in contact with the skins and seeds to extract the colour from the skins. The stems of the grape bunches also contain tannins, and will contribute tannins if the bunches are not de-stemmed before pressing and fermentation. Tannins extracted from grapes are condensed tannins, which are polymers of proanthocyanidin monomers. Hydrolysable tannins are extracted from the oak wood the wine is aged in. Hydrolysable tannins are more easily oxidised than condensed tannins.

Modern winemakers take great care to minimize undesirable tannins from seeds by crushing grapes gently when extracting their juice, to avoid crushing the seeds. Pressing the grapes further results in press wine which is more tannic and might be kept separately. De-stemming is also widely practiced. Wines can also take on tannins if matured in oak or wood casks with a high tannin content. Tannins play an important role in preventing oxidation in aging wine and appear to polymerize and make up a major portion of the sediment in wine.

Recently, a study in wine production and consumption has shown that tannins, in the form of proanthocyanidins, have a beneficial effect on vascular health. The study showed that tannins suppressed production of the peptide responsible for hardening arteries. To support their findings, the study also points out that wines from the regions of southwest France and Sardinia are particularly rich in proanthocyanidins, and that these regions also produce populations with longer life spans.[8]

[edit] Effects of tannins on the drinkability and aging potential of wine

Tannins in wine have been described, particularly by novice drinkers, as having the effect of making wine difficult to drink compared to a wine with a lower level of tannins. Tannins can be described as leaving a dry and puckered feeling with a "furriness" in the mouth that can be compared to a stewed tea, which is also very tannic. This effect is particularly profound when drinking tannic wines without the benefit of food.

Many oenophiles see natural tannins (found particularly in varietals such as Cabernet Sauvignon and often accentuated by heavy oak barrel aging) as a sign of potential longevity and ageability. As tannic wines age, the tannins begin to decompose and the wine mellows and improves with age, with the tannic "backbone" helping the wine survive for as long as 40 years or more. A strongly tannic wine is also well-matched to very fatty food courses, in particular steaks; the tannins help break down the fat[citation needed], with a salutary impact on both the wine and the steak. In many regions (such as in Bordeaux), tannic grapes such as Cabernet Sauvignon are blended with lower-tannin grapes such as Merlot or Cabernet Franc, diluting the tannic characteristics. Wines that are vinified to be drunk young typically have lower tannin levels.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

enjoyed a Upper canada lager, then a homebrewed Orval clone, then a St Peters Cream Stout, now im back to the Upper Canada Lager

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

My beer situation is limited these days to just several bottles at a time in my fridge, but always of great stuff. Enjoyed some Muskoka Premium Lager tonight, very fresh, and a legitimate claim to best buck-a-beer ever made, maybe even better than Gold Crown Kings Pilsener. Very hoppy and tasty stuff.

BTW Matt's Orval clone is spot on and full of Bretty deliciousness!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

JesseM wrote:Enjoyed some Muskoka Premium Lager tonight, very fresh, and a legitimate claim to best buck-a-beer ever made, maybe even better than Gold Crown Kings Pilsener. Very hoppy and tasty stuff.
I've heard lots of great things about the Muskoka Premium, so its at the top of my list next time I'm at the beer store. I like their hefe, and the dark ale was decent too.

I'm currently drinking tea, but there's no milk in the office fridge, so its black. :cry:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

DragonOfBlood wrote:And what do tannins taste like?
Quick answer for ' what do tannins taste like?'

Imagine taking a sip of over-steeped cold black tea, or chewing on a piece of green stem from a grape bunch.

It's that dry-feeling and bitter-tasting component in red wines. Tannin gives balance and structure to the other (sweeter/fruitier) flavors. It also preserves the other natural compounds in the wine from spoiling... so often it's highly-tannic wines that are the superstars for aging from a few to several decades.

Tannins "soften" with aging, revealing the fully-matured Cru Bordeaux or Barolo in all it's well-hyped & expensive glory. Even lesser reds may benefit from a little bottle aging (always check though.)

Tannin you usually taste in Red wines comes from contact with the skins of red grapes and (to a lesser extent) the green stems and pips, and if wines are aged in wooden barrels you can detect oak tannins (as well as vanilla-like compounds.)
In Beerum Veritas

davefungi

Post by davefungi »

Gouden Carolus

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Shared with a friend last night;

Swan's Extra IPA
Chimay Red
ST Backburner Barley Wine

Tonight...nursing a cold and can't taste anything...blech.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Just having a Sinebrychoff Porter and I have to admit, it ain't half as good as the Sam Smiths. Aroma is nice but the body feels a bit thin. Feel a little disappointed after all I've heard and read about this beer. Oh well :)

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Torontoblue wrote:Just having a Sinebrychoff Porter and I have to admit, it ain't half as good as the Sam Smiths. Aroma is nice but the body feels a bit thin. Feel a little disappointed after all I've heard and read about this beer. Oh well :)
Apples & oranges...

:wink:

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

beat me to it ;)

Les Trois Mousquetaires Oktoberfest 2008 to go along with a very German meal.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Derek wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Just having a Sinebrychoff Porter and I have to admit, it ain't half as good as the Sam Smiths. Aroma is nice but the body feels a bit thin. Feel a little disappointed after all I've heard and read about this beer. Oh well :)
Apples & oranges...

:wink:
Not really Derek & Sprague 11, both are classed as an imperial porter/stout respectively. In effect the same ale. Depends on if you are Irish or Cockney :-?
Last edited by Torontoblue on Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Initially I thought you were referring to the Taddy Porter. But I'd still say the big guys are quite different.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Derek wrote:Initially I thought you were referring to the Taddy Porter. But I'd still say the big guys are quite different.
Should have made myself clearer. Anyway, onto an Anchor Old Foghorn now. Been cellared for 3 years and is tasting wonderful.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

At C'est What, Great Lakes Winter Ale, Barley Days Yuletide Porter and CW Coffee Porter. Right now at home, Black Oak Nut Brown.

Perhaps St. Peter's Cream Stout or a split of vino with the GF later.
lister

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Torontoblue wrote:
Derek wrote:Initially I thought you were referring to the Taddy Porter. But I'd still say the big guys are quite different.
Should have made myself clearer. Anyway, onto an Anchor Old Foghorn now. Been cellared for 3 years and is tasting wonderful.
I had the Sinebrychoff quite some time ago, so my only really vivid memory was it's acidity.

Checking back on my review though, I compared it to the Okocim and remarked that "Despite being lower in alcohol, this one has more of an Imperial stout flavour."

:D