Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Southern Tier Choklat. Definitely a highlight of this year, worth seeking. I wonder if Rogue fans feel this one's actually better?
In Beerum Veritas

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Belgian wrote:Southern Tier Choklat. Definitely a highlight of this year, worth seeking. I wonder if Rogue fans feel this one's actually better?
Did you get this in Buffalo (or some other place outside of Ontario)? I don't see it listed on the LCBO site. I was just at the Rogue brewpub in Portland 2 weeks ago and would love to compare.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Southern Tier Choklat. Definitely a highlight of this year, worth seeking. I wonder if Rogue fans feel this one's actually better?
To answer another poster's question if I may as to where he got it, likely Buffalo, it is available there.

It is a different beer Belgian, for sure! Much more intense dry chocolate, and a more intense overall experience because of the ABV. This is the perfect dessert, Rogue is almost a session like stout, if a 6% Chocolate stout can be sessioned :) . I can have a Rogue any time, while the Choklat I need to be the right mood for. I know my wife loves them both, but she prefers the Choklat if she had to choose (but don't ask her too).

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yes to all that Jeff.

Buffalo area. It was Wegmans, not the one S of Lewiston but the one in Amherst that had the Choklat from the cold room.
In Beerum Veritas

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

Cottonwood Indo IPA from Mooresville, (NASCAR-ville!) North Carolina. It's a decent little number but a number I would appreciate is the alcohol % on the bottle as it is nowhere to be seen. I've read - possibly here at BT - that some states have a law restricting the breweries from providing the alcohol levels. If so it is the dumbest law I've ever heard of. Another possible explanation is that some states just don't require the company to provide such info. That's not quite as dumb but I don't like that either.
Last edited by Philip1 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Philip1 wrote:Cottonwood Indo IPA from Mooresville, (NASCAR-ville!) North Carolina. It's a decent little number but a number I would appreciate is the alcohol % on the bottle as it is nowhere to be seen.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cottonwood ... -ale/3304/

5.9% abv

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

Thanks. I was just about to do a search.

carguy

Post by carguy »

Deuchars IPA. Very nice beer. This will be a regular in my fridge for as long as it lasts. Too bad it didn't get to Cambridge until mid-July!

Weissebier

Post by Weissebier »

Widmer Brothers HeffeWeizen. This is something I wanted to try, but have been somewhat disappointed, perhaps I have been spoiled.

A little too spicy for me, more like Rickard's White with zing.

W.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

A side-by-side comparison of Fuller's ESB and Niagara's Best Special Bitter.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

dutchcanuck wrote:A side-by-side comparison of Fuller's ESB and Niagara's Best Special Bitter.
They're comparable eh? I love the Fullers, so you've got me intrigued. Which one came out on top for you?

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I'm the process of updating my review of the N.B Special Bitter....you'll just have to check back in a few minutes. :D

TJ

Post by TJ »

dutchcanuck wrote:A side-by-side comparison of Fuller's ESB and Niagara's Best Special Bitter.
You know, I don't think I've ever done a side-by-side comparison. You've inspired me. I'm going to crack open an Orval and a Raftman just to see what happens.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Side-by-side comparison is done. If you're interested in reading my findings checkout my updated review.
Cheers everyone!

Publican

Post by Publican »

Bobsy wrote:
Publican wrote:Bobsy, The only info that I have on it is from the advert in the latest Great Lakes Brewing News. I will be heading to Coles in the next two weeks and if I run into Mike the owner I will confirm the date with him. If I don't see him I'll call Coles when I get back. It is odd that it is on the same day as the Buffalo Brewfest but I'd rather be at Coles as I've seen pictures of last years Brewfest and it looks rather crowded. Coles previous
IPA fests have taken place in Coles car park ( or third floor if it's raining) . IMO a more comfortable situation than queuing up to drink beer 8)
Cool! Let me know what you find out - it would certainly be preferable to the brewfest. I went to it down at the hsbc last year, but only for a couple of years. The first hour was pleasant, and you could walk around freely. After that it was a world of lines. Grab a sample and hit the next line. I wish north american festivals followed the brit template more and went with half pint or pint servings only. I could sacrifice breadth for depth if it means a more relaxed fest.
I was just on Rate Beer and Coles IPA festival is on Sat. Aug. 15. Perhaps the advert in the Great Lakes Brewing News was a misprint or Mike realised that the 8th was the same day as the Buffalo Brewfest. Last year the cost was $25 so I'll ask Mike if that's the same charge this year.