Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

The where, when and are they still available would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.

Has anyone tried crossing a land border between us and the Americans with a foreign passport? I have heard two stories about getting detained, directed to secondary and waiting three hours.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

dutchcanuck wrote:Has anyone tried crossing a land border between us and the Americans with a foreign passport? I have heard two stories about getting detained, directed to secondary and waiting three hours.
It shouldn't be as bad if you have a PR card, but they are still absolute bastards about it. Even with a British passport and a PR card they'd still give me a lengthy interrogation or send me to secondary while they ran off with my travel documents. I think the longest wait I ever had though was only 20 minutes. I'm glad I now have my citizenship!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Bobsy wrote:
dutchcanuck wrote:Has anyone tried crossing a land border between us and the Americans with a foreign passport? I have heard two stories about getting detained, directed to secondary and waiting three hours.
It shouldn't be as bad if you have a PR card, but they are still absolute bastards about it. Even with a British passport and a PR card they'd still give me a lengthy interrogation or send me to secondary while they ran off with my travel documents. I think the longest wait I ever had though was only 20 minutes. I'm glad I now have my citizenship!
Agree with Bobsy, if you have the right ID with you then there shouldn't be a problem. And it all depends on what bridge you cross at. Lewiston & Downtown Buffalo are the worst, in my experience. The guards at Niagara Falls are a nice bunch to deal with. Never had a problem there, though everytime I cross I do get pulled in for questions as I have a UK passport. Simple and no worries.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Thanks for the info Toronto Blue. The problem is that I was born in Canada, but due to my father being born in the Netherlands and a legal loop hole I was able to get a dutch passport. As a result I don't have a permanent residence card and I have never applied for a Canadian passport.
My idea was the get an enhanced driver's license when my current license expired.
I might try crossing the border next week since I have really been missing my american micros and burgers at Cole's.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

dutchcanuck wrote:Thanks for the info Toronto Blue. The problem is that I was born in Canada, but due to my father being born in the Netherlands and a legal loop hole I was able to get a dutch passport. As a result I don't have a permanent residence card and I have never applied for a Canadian passport.
My idea was the get an enhanced driver's license when my current license expired.
I might try crossing the border next week since I have really been missing my american micros and burgers at Cole's.
Then all you need to get is a green Visa Waiver form when you get to the border. That's good for 90 days and you can then visit the States as much as you like until it expires. Just don't forget to give it back!!!!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Hopfenstark Blanche de l'ermitage. Wish I brought more back.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

First time I crossed I was fine

Second time I crossed I had trouble and was refused entry (my Canadian work permit had expired and I was awaiting my new one, whilst I was legal to live and work in Canada while waiting on my new visa, the US decided I wasn't welcome)

I haven't been back since as once again I'm waiting on another visa to be renewed but as soon as it is, I'll be crossing back over :lol:

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Tonight is a good night for me. Started with a couple budvar, then two Hop Back Summer Lightening, and now ending the night with a couple of Westmalle Tripel. I still wish I had a couple of Duvel.

The Great Gatsby

Post by The Great Gatsby »

Good night tonight...

Hoptical Illusion
Duvel
Devil's Pale Ale
Beer Geek Breakfast

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Pils Urquell and a glass of Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin (which I will discuss in the other thread).
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

notdan

Post by notdan »

Tonight was a Mill Street Belgian Wit and a ST IPA. First time trying the IPA... it was really tasty, great piney hop flavour, though not quite as bitter as I would expect/prefer.

carguy

Post by carguy »

Finished my Propeller ESB, and since I was using my Propeller 10th anniversary glass, I finished my last bottle of Propeller Porter as well.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Went to Beer Bistro for dinner and had a Brooklyn East IPA followed by a Urthel Hop-It. After, went to Jays game and after a depressing time looking at the beer selection I settled for a Stella. After the game, C'est What for pints of Black Oak Summer Saison and Amsterdam Spring Bock.

Finished the night back home with a fresh bottle of Half Pints Humulus Ludicrous, which my friend just brought from Winnipeg. This may be my favourite Canadian beer I have ever had. For my tastes, I'd rank it right up there with any of the top American double IPA's! I just wish I told him to bring more than 12 with him.

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

Red Racer IPA from Surrey BC and Hop Stupid...best of Lagunitas...back from a hop-tacular trip out west...

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

It's warm outside and I'm in a lager mood. Today......

Ayinger Jahrhundert
BrewDog Zeitgeist
Brooklyn Lager
Lagunitas Pils

The older I get, the more I appreciate a well made, well balanced lager.