Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

DFH Punkin Ale

It's sweet and quite spice forward, to my palate. I can pick up the alcohol in the nose, like boozy pumpkin pie, but not in the flavour.

Very nice.

And I didn't like it when I tried it last year. :lol:

carguy

Post by carguy »

I was at the Grand River dinner at the Golden Kiwi Saturday night, and had a couple glasses of the Grand River Black Cherry Pils. It was a very nice beer, lots of cherries in the aroma, and a bit sweet on the palate, but it also had a nice dryness in the finish to keep it from becoming too cloying. Personally, I'd like to see this replace the bumbleberry wheat as the summer seasonal.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

All I really wanted today was something cold, wet, and refreshing. Something simple. So I grabbed a can of the stepfathers High Life. :lol: And it's really hitting the spot right now.

The Champagne of Beers. :P Man, is this stuff ever fizzy - maybe there actually is truth in advertising once in awhile. :wink:

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Homebrewed all-Canadian SMaSH - Nothing but 2-row and homegrown cascades. It's under 5% abv, but has the hopping & bitterness of an IPA.

Followed by Nash's 37 Hr Simcoe SMaSH. I'm amazed by the deep copper tone and malty flavours from the extended boil (also just 2-row malt). Great stuff.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Picked up a growler of Mill Street Frambozen to party with friends in Kingston. The MS Pumpkin Ale will be along soon!

This eve:

Had a newly canned Denisons Weisse with some Pizzaiolo La Spinotta. I liked the beer Michael!

Not sipping a Cauvard Beaune 1er Cru Burgundy 2005 with some thin shards of ash-aged Peccorino, while watching the Riddick Chronicles. Apart from the stupid Vin Diesel movie it's all good.
In Beerum Veritas

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Just had another glass of the Helles Bock from a Mill Street growler my bro-in-law was kind enough to pick up for me. It was written on the cap to be 6.6%.

Very tasty!

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

MacEwan's Scotch Ale blended 3:2 with San Benedetto Spiring Water (carbonated).

The Scotch on its own is just too much for me, at least before dinner after a sedentary day.

Blended as indicated, it produces a plenty rich and full-bodied beer at about 5% ABV - a bottle produces a pint in other words.

The blending seems too to bring out the unique roasted quality of the malt or specialty malt in this. I don't think it is peated, but there is a definite smoky-like taste to the beer. I wonder how they achieve that? (St. Andrews from Caledonians had it too, when we got it here).

The hops, per the Scotch style, are restrained but not invisible.

A fine pint and it went very well with a pizza and chicken wings from Pizza Pizza.

Gary
Gary Gillman

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

mmmm, more homebrewed gonzo clone for me. it will be a sad day when the keg runs out - but at least i've got two other kegs in the fridge and 70gal or so in fermenters :D

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Trafalgar Malted Corpse. I've been up for 16 hours, so I guess I'm kind of a malted corpse myself, except that I'm at least 5x more interesting than this product...

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Trafalgar Hop Nouveau.

Meh, not great, but certainly not as bad as I've come to expect Trafalgar beers to be. Also picked up a bottle of Malted Corpse so I will be sampling some of that as well at some point over the weekend. God I sure do miss real beer.

TJ

Post by TJ »

DragonOfBlood wrote: Malted Corpse so I will be sampling some of that
Don't do it man. Really. Just...no. It's beyond awful.

Tonight I had a Curmudgeon IPA, which was a lot better than I remember it being--it laces like a beast. Great head retention too.

And now it's a Magnotta Copper Altbier which is probably one of the best beers they sell at The Beer Store. The lacing on this one is pretty stellar as well.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

grub wrote:mmmm, more homebrewed gonzo clone for me. it will be a sad day when the keg runs out - but at least i've got two other kegs in the fridge and 70gal or so in fermenters :D
70gal??? Holy shit!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

JesseMcG wrote:70gal??? Holy shit!
yeah, it gets to be problematic when all the fermetners are full and you need to move things to kegs but don't have any free. ah, the crosses we must bear...

notdan

Post by notdan »

Trying DFH 90 for the first time tonight. Really enjoying the hoppy flavours, and the sweet, almost candy-like malt backbone is a pleasant surprise.

bartle

Post by bartle »

grub wrote:
JesseMcG wrote:70gal??? Holy shit!
yeah, it gets to be problematic when all the fermetners are full and you need to move things to kegs but don't have any free. ah, the crosses we must bear...
I know where you could move this... !!!
enjoi