Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

notdan

Post by notdan »

Brasseurs Illimités - Un Gros Remerci, Bièropholie

...good, not great. The nose has kindof an astringent thing going on but the taste was quite nice. Lots of citrusy hops and some toffee/biscuity malts, and some interesting fruitiness as well.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

viggo wrote: The Vanilla Porter was mediocre for a beer but awful as a porter. I don't understand how any brewer could make this and call it a porter. Its like believing Keiths is an IPA.
It was like some kind of sweet fruty ale thing. It did not have any real roasty (or even sour) notes - fun session ale though I thought.
In Beerum Veritas

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

A couple Thomas Hardy's tonight...what I reach for to cure my insomnia.

carguy

Post by carguy »

St. Ambroise 2009 Anniversary Ale.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

carguy wrote:St. Ambroise 2009 Anniversary Ale.
I wuz gonna crack my last one last night.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence. From what I've read a lot of people prefer the Young's Double Chocolate to this. I think they're the same people who prefer milk chocolate to dark.

Heathens.

As a side note, I'm drinking this out of the new Maredsous chalice, and its totally bitchin'. I've thrown my Chimay glass away in preference of this one - its like going from a wine glass bought at the grocery store to one fashioned by an artist.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence. From what I've read a lot of people prefer the Young's Double Chocolate to this. I think they're the same people who prefer milk chocolate to dark.
I think Indulgence is a simply incredible beer. Worth it!!!
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Bobsy wrote:Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence. From what I've read a lot of people prefer the Young's Double Chocolate to this. I think they're the same people who prefer milk chocolate to dark.

Heathens.
Tried this a while back and I was totally underwhelmed by the whole beer; found it very difficult to get any chocolate from the beer at all. The same happened with this beer a couple of years ago. Maybe I have had 2 bad bottles?

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Gulden Draak
Hacker Pschorr Munchener Gold
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Torontoblue wrote:

Heathens.
Tried this a while back and I was totally underwhelmed by the whole beer; found it very difficult to get any chocolate from the beer at all. The same happened with this beer a couple of years ago. Maybe I have had 2 bad bottles?
ive had chocolate indulgence 3 times and never been that impressed. the whole belgian stout thing just doesnt work for me i guess.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Torontoblue wrote:

Heathens.
I wonder if there's a big variation between batches? I split this one with the missus and we both got a lot of good quality cocoa powder off it, and I found it far more preferable to the artificial feeling of many chocolate beers. I'm not sure whether it makes a difference in terms of chocolate intensity, but the bottle was over a year old, and I did carefully decant it so the yeast stayed in the bottom.

carguy

Post by carguy »

Dieu du Ciel Corne du diable
carguy wrote:
St. Ambroise 2009 Anniversary Ale.

I wuz gonna crack my last one last night.
It was my last 2009 Anniversary Ale, one of the ones you gave me out of your shopping cart at the LCBO because you were on the way to the checkout with the last bottles they had!

I drank one right away, and wasn't that impressed with it (and I recall you posting the same) but this one was much better. I still have a 2007 in my cupboard that I haven't decided on when to drink yet.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

I found the 2009 was much better even a few months after it was released. I still have a 2001 Vintage ale in the cellar, I should crack that one soon.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Jon Walker wrote:Gulden Draak

Mmmmmmm instant diabetes!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Ola Dubh 12 before dinner, and currently Corne du Diable x2. The Ola was quite tasty and impressive, and the Corne has been one of my favourites at the Lichbow this season.