Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

mintjellie wrote:
herrorara wrote:Brooklyner-Schneider Hopfen-Weisse
Duchesse de Bourgogne
Homebrew IPA
DFH 60 Minute
Every try the Schneider version of Hopfen-Weisse?
I liked the nobel hopping a lot more than the American version. Great stuff.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mintjellie wrote:
Beautiful beer. I may just grab a few in 'Lo Town.

Have not tried the Brooklyn-Schneider yet, but it's $$$.
In Beerum Veritas

teichertbier

Post by teichertbier »

mintjellie wrote:
Duchesse de Bourgogne
Homebrew IPA
DFH 60 Minute
Not yet. But after having the Brooklyn version, which was excellent, I'll be on the look out for the Schneider one now.

teichertbier

Post by teichertbier »

Belgian wrote:
Have not tried the Brooklyn-Schneider yet, but it's $$$.
paid $8.99 in Michigan. I think it's worth it.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Chimay Bleue from 2006 with a delicious lunch from the Red Apron in Ottawa. This beer has lost all taste of alcohol and evolved into a very tasty beer with a cherry/prune taste which was unexpected.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Grand River Russian Gunn Imperial Stout 2010

bartle

Post by bartle »

http://i47.tinypic.com/f5dsfo.jpg

Kind of wish I were drinking from this collection of Pliny The Younger... :o
enjoi

carguy

Post by carguy »

Finishing the evening with a Grand River Russian Gun, bottled April 29, 2009. Interesting that I'm finding it much better than it was when fresh, but I had the 2010 earlier tonight at the brewery, and it is already this good, so it should age even better. I have one bottle left of the 2009, so I'll leave it a little longer, another year perhaps.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Elderberry Black Ale from the Ancient Ales of Scotland gift pack. Really enjoyed this one. Like a strong-ish coffee porter with some interesting spices and mild fruitiness.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Started with a Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale, then had another one, then moved on to Lagunitas Maximus IPA..phenominal.

Now trying a Bell's Two Hearted Ale...you gotta America...or at least their brewers.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Homebrewed pale ale
St. Peter's Ruby Red - kinda meh on this
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

herrorara wrote:
mintjellie wrote:
Duchesse de Bourgogne
Homebrew IPA
DFH 60 Minute
Not yet. But after having the Brooklyn version, which was excellent, I'll be on the look out for the Schneider one now.
Same in reverse, I really want to try the Brooklyn version after having the Schneider.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

had some homebrewed american barleywine last night. 11.5% and 82 IBU - big and delicious!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

On the Brooklyn - Schneider subject I looked up my reviews, and I couldn't pick a favourite between the two.

Here's the Brooklyn version:
Pours a clear gold with a good finger of frothy white head that showed good retention and lace. There's almost something Duvel-esque about it. The remainder of the pour is very cloudy as a result of the sediment, and reminsicent of unfiltered apple cider. Talking of cider, there's a touch in the aroma, mixing in with a spicy yeast and high malt backbone. Leafy hops are also evident.

Great flavour for a weizenbock - not quite as spicy as I'm used to, but with amped up hopping, which provides some good interest. Nice caramel background. Banana and clove with piny / citrus hops. Alcohol is slightly present, though more so in a warming finish. Medium bodied, with a caramel-esque smoothness and a soft carbonated mouthfeel.

Picking a favourite from the Brooklyn and Schneider versions is a tough call. I'm gonna call it a draw.
... and here's the Schneider:
This is a beautiful looking beer. A hazy yellow body supports a generous white head, that laces very well. A strong yeasty aroma greets the nose, along with honey, citric hops and wheat. Its not as spicy as a regular weizen, substituting spiciness for hoppiness. On top of a strong wheat backbone floral and piny hops provide a good dose of bitterness, while there's some great notes of yeast and fruity malts. The alcohol is practically hidden, and this doesn't drink like an 8% beer. The body isn't as heavy as I'd expect, and also feels much lighter than its ABV suggests. I'd even go so far as to say it could be quenching.

This is a bit of a category defier. Its somewhat of a souped up weizen, but without some of the weizenbock notes that define that style. Regardless of what box this beer falls into I do know one thing - its damn good.

Edited to add: I've now had the Brooklyn version, and I'd say while they are both very different interpretations, I think they essentially tie as far as quality is concerned.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Just sipping on a Lagunitas Imperial Stout whilst doing some paperwork; god this is a great job :wink: