Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Dinner is slow-roasted pork burrito
Beer: Fantone Saison D'hiver - nice combo.
In Beerum Veritas

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Belgian wrote:Dinner is slow-roasted pork burrito
Chino Locos?

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Christoffel Nobel
Cantillon Kriek
Dieu du Ciel Equinoxe du Printemps

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

A magic potion made of Amarillo Bile, Monkshood, Wolfsbane, Unicorn Parts, and of course, Eye of Newt. Mmmmmmmmm. More brewers need to do this!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

velovampire wrote:
Chino Locos?
Exactemundo. Really tasty with the chow mein instead of the rice. This to me is NYC-style food.

Enjoying a wee sip of 2006 Delirium Tremens... some belgian beers are just really tasty at 8:30 AM on a Sunday! This would be a great beer for a 'champagne' brunch (where you've got the mushroom scramble and toasted multigrain, or maybe French Toast cooked with orange zest & served with mixed fresh fruit...)
Last edited by Belgian on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

With bobsy last night:

Growler of Beau's Beaver River IPA
Beau's Sleepy Time Stout
Manchester Brewing's Naughty Nancy Nut Brown
Pretty Things Jack D'Or
A totally flat Drie Fonteinen Doesjel (which was sad)

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:
velovampire wrote:
Chino Locos?
Exactemundo. Really tasty with the chow mein instead of the rice. This to me is NYC-style food.

Enjoying a wee sip of 2006 Delirium Tremens... some belgian beers are just really tasty at 8:30 AM on a Sunday! This would be a great beer for a 'champagne' brunch (where you've got the mushroom scramble and toasted multigrain, or maybe French Toast cooked with orange zest & served with mixed fresh fruit...)

Jonas, you're my kind of guy!!! I too, am rocking an early morning beer.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Chimay Red this afternoon

Black Oak Ten Bitter Years and Nutcracker last night

carguy

Post by carguy »

Grand River Plowmans Ale
Garrison Imperial Pale Ale
Ommegang Three Philosophers
Black Oak Ten Bitter Years

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

ritzkiss wrote:With bobsy last night:

Beau's Sleepy Time Stout
Pretty Things Jack D'Or
Jack D'Or is dope. The Doesjel is supposed to be flat, its an unblended young lambic.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

viggo wrote:

Beau's Sleepy Time Stout
Pretty Things Jack D'Or
Jack D'Or is dope. The Doesjel is supposed to be flat, its an unblended young lambic.
It was dope.

Is it supposed to be totally flat? If so, then I perhaps I just need to expand my horizons and try a few more for comparison. If not, I felt it could have used at least a few bubbles to bring out some of the complexities of the flavor.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

ritzkiss wrote:
viggo wrote:

Beau's Sleepy Time Stout
Pretty Things Jack D'Or
It was dope.

Is it supposed to be totally flat? If so, then I perhaps I just need to expand my horizons and try a few more for comparison. If not, I felt it could have used at least a few bubbles to bring out some of the complexities of the flavor.
It is blended, like a gueuze, but it is indeed supposed to be flat, like an unblended lambic. Commercial description from Ratebeer:
Blend of 1, 2 and 3 year old lambic. Fermented and lagered in oak vessels. In this bottle the young yeast is brought to sleep ('ingedoesjeld') so the original lambic flavors are preserved. This beer has no head, just like lambic. The lambic is brewed with 60% barley, 40% wheat, last years hop

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Thanks guys! Guess I just need to drink more of these unblended lambics to get a feel for how the lack of carbonation can add to the experience.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

viggo wrote:

Beau's Sleepy Time Stout
Pretty Things Jack D'Or
The Jack D'Or had this huge lemon character to it that didn't seem to be mentioned as such a big factor in other batches. I enjoyed it, but didn't think it was all that stellar for a saison, and it certainly lacked the dryness and funk I usually dig. My presumption is that batches of this one have a lot of variance. While Doesjel may well be intended to be flat, it did make me realise how much carbonation brings to a beer. Put even a few bubbles in this and it would be right up there with some of my favourite lambics, but as it was I felt like I was drinking funky lemonade.

I can't believe Eric didn't mention what we paired these beers with: http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

This discussion needs to be re-routed another thread - "Rare Belgiums" ;)

I'm getting a serious thirst-on to try some different Gueuze and Saisons from Buffalo - the Fantone Dalmation is on sale for 10 bucks at Consumers right now!
In Beerum Veritas