Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Going through the llcbo last night i was happy to see some a scotch irish product. I was hoping it was going to be the sgt major ipa, but it was something different. It was called black irish plain porter. It was an excellent porter the smell was fantastic. Nicest coffee and chocolate aroma I have ever smelt from a beer. Has anyone else tried this? Its nice to see a locally made porter I must say.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

The Plain Porter has been around for a while, I gave up on it after a few bad bottles a couple years ago, perhaps its time to revisit it.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

liefmans kriek & framboise... pool side. (turtle pool).

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i decided that today was the perfect day to crack a 750ml bottle of homebrewed belgian old ale and pair it with a cheese plate for lunch

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Drinking my first LCBO Schneider-Brooklyn Weisse

The late hopping is astounding, and the thicker body makes it feel more like drinking a Weisbock
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

icemachine wrote:Drinking my first LCBO Schneider-Brooklyn Weisse

The late hopping is astounding, and the thicker body makes it feel more like drinking a Weisbock
Thats because it is a weizenbock.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Flying Monkeys Smashbomb Atomic IPA on tap at the Griffin in Bracebridge to wash down an incredible pulled pork sandwich.

May which ever god you believe in Bless the gang at Flying Monkeys, everyone at the Griffin and pigs!!!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mintjellie wrote:
icemachine wrote:Drinking my first LCBO Schneider-Brooklyn Weisse

Thats because it is a weizenbock.
I'm also enjoying the Schneider H-W immensely, as well as the bottled Black Oak Ten Bitter Years.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

phat matt wrote:Going through the llcbo last night i was happy to see some a scotch irish product. I was hoping it was going to be the sgt major ipa, but it was something different. It was called black irish plain porter. It was an excellent porter the smell was fantastic. Nicest coffee and chocolate aroma I have ever smelt from a beer. Has anyone else tried this? Its nice to see a locally made porter I must say.
icemachine wrote:The Plain Porter has been around for a while, I gave up on it after a few bad bottles a couple years ago, perhaps its time to revisit it.
They were doing a few quality control tweaks a while back (like many a small brewer) so maybe it is time to check in on the Porter & Stout & Corporal Bitter Brown. I've always loved the Stuart's Session Ale in the summer, I can think of nothing like it here.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Propeller Extra Special Bitter, VERY respectable ESB with its caramel-toffee nose and earthy, dark-fruit and dry chocolate and mineral flavors. It is not always easy to find but keeps in the fridge very well!
In Beerum Veritas

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Grand River Russian Gun. Not bad. Better than John By, not as good as the St. Ambroise SIR.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Railway City Iron Spike. Man they managed to pack a lot of flavour into this low alcohol beer. I've tried only this and Dead Elephant by Railway City. You can bet I'd buy more from them if they were more available in my part of town.

I have a Russian Gun try to out tonight too. Neither of these ever seem to make it to my local LCBO but I was downtown yesterday and grabbed a couple. My local has a pretty good selection but it was nice to go to Queen's Quay branch yesterday and pick up a couple bottles that I have heard lots about on here but hadn't had a chance to try yet. Stopped at C'est What yesterday too. I was excited to try Smashbomb IPA but alas the cask had run out by then, I'll just have to wait until "Session".

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Great lineup at Volo tonight, and the Duggans Trappist is drinking mighty fine. As a heads up their lineup of Ontario casks for Friday is going to be phenomenal!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Bobsy wrote:.......... Duggans Trappist ........

How is that even possible?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Forget which number, but one of the Hopfenstark Saisons with Homemade chickenwings. The Saison balanced the sweetness/heat of the wings perfectly.