Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

matt7215 wrote:
icemachine wrote:Rodenbach Grand Cru

As they say over at DJF...

Boners Up
one of my all time favs!!

myself....central city red racer IPA

One of my favourite too!! I need another case of this... hmm now only to convince Peter to reply to my e-mails and send me a case.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

mintjellie wrote: It seems to fit the BJCP guidelines though.

ABV: 4.8 – 5.7%
Notice that it's slightly above the ABV guidelines, hence my comment about it being "boozy" for the style. To me an Oktoberfest should be a highly drinkable session beer, and the Hofbrau is a single serving brew IMO. Granted there are some Imperial Marzens out there, but this doesn't claim to be one. However, the nose and flavour share a lot in common with other, 'regular' Oktoberfest beers and Helles Lagers.

Tonight I had a St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout, Stiegl Pils, and Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Had a bottle of the Cannery Blueberry Porter; the blueberry really adds a nice sour/fruity bitterness to this lovely porter.

Followed by a fresh can of Hockley Dark - this just seems to have appeared in Alberta. Such a great flavourful session ale :D

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Torontoblue wrote:Had a bottle of the Cannery Blueberry Porter; the blueberry really adds a nice sour/fruity bitterness to this lovely porter.

Followed by a fresh can of Hockley Dark - this just seems to have appeared in Alberta. Such a great flavourful session ale :D
I thought it was Blackberry Porter?

There's a large amount listed at the King and Spadina LCBO, but I went by and they didn't have a drop. There's actually a really helpful, knowledgeable beer dude there named Chris who was helping me in my quest. If you're ever at that location, he's a good guy to talk to.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

shintriad wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Had a bottle of the Cannery Blueberry Porter
Yeah no such thing, Sid meant the other. Highly rated fruit beer (probably because it's a good Porter under it and not some weak American Wheat type thing.)
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Belgian wrote:
shintriad wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Had a bottle of the Cannery Blueberry Porter
Yeah no such thing, Sid meant the other. Highly rated fruit beer (probably because it's a good Porter under it and not some weak American Wheat type thing.)
Indeed I did............I knew it was SomethingorotherBerry :wink:

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Magic Hat Blind Faith
Bells Hopslam

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Philips Hop Circle & Red Racer IPA.

The hop circle is a little lighter in colour, with a smooth, slightly biscuity, quality malt flavour & feel, with some nice hopping. The hop aroma isn't in your face, but there's some well-rounded hop flavour. Great brew.

Red Racer has WAY more hop aroma, definitely more hop flavour and a little hop acidity. In your face hops. A phenomenal brew.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Derek wrote:Philips Hop Circle & Red Racer IPA.

The hop circle is a little lighter in colour, with a smooth, slightly biscuity, quality malt flavour & feel, with some nice hopping. The hop aroma isn't in your face, but there's some well-rounded hop flavour. Great brew.

Red Racer has WAY more hop aroma, definitely more hop flavour and a little hop acidity. In your face hops. A phenomenal brew.
Fresh Red Racer when ever you want ;-) Welcome to the West!

Just finished a Full Sail 2009 Old Boardhead Barleywine; reminded me of an over malty West Coast IPA.

Started on a Yukon Lead Dog; had this in the fridge for about 4 months now and it is such a great, full Old Ale.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Mikkeller Barrel Aged 1000 IBU. A little undecided on this one, probably because I loved the un-barrel aged version so much. The barrel aging totally overpowers all notion of hops, which I'm not sure I dig in a IIPA. However, the barrel aging also really brings out the more malty aspects of the beer and an orange-marmalady character that was present, but much more subdued in the non-barrel aged version. Overall, barrel aging totally changes the character of the 1000 IBU and makes it a totally different beer, which is the objective in the first place. Not just a woody version of the 1000.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Drinking a 6 pack of sn autumn tumbler. Its a very nice brown ale. Good amount of chocolate malt with a touch of roasted barley. Very balanced hoping. Has a nice little bite to it without being over powering. If anyone enjoys a nice brown ale I would suggest picking this up. Also have some pumpkin beer that my parents grabbed for me in the states. Shipyard pumpkin head, and buffalo bills pumpkin ale. They said they couldnt find the ones I asked for, so these were the suggestion of a person shopping. The reviews dont look promising, but ill form my own opinion on them later tonight.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

DDC Derniere Velonte

really good stuff

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

DDC Equinoxe, Garrison Hop Yard and some homebrew.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

great lakes pompous ass pale
ST IPA
ST 2X IPA

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

My last Garrison Imperial IPA from Nova Scotia, this baby cant come here fast enough!
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/