Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Finally got to try someone else's homebrew today while dropping off some cash for a hop buy. A coffee porter made with some of my favourite locally available beans, and a mystery hop SMaSH that I've been hearing quite a bit about. Both very nice. A good way to end an afternoon of hard outdoor work on this beautiful day!

John Aitken

Post by John Aitken »

Sitting at Duggans enjoying an 8 a 7 and a 9! Saw a few other Bar towelers there. Nice place good beer and decent menu.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Had some Cheshire Robust Porter at Gambrinus. Of course, I may be just pulling your leg.......
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Had some Cheshire Robust Porter at Gambrinus. Of course, I may be just pulling your leg.......
You're 2 weeks early sir.

Another bottle of Nugget Nectar for me!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Driftwood Singularity - a real nice sipper, that hides the 11.8% alc real well.

Black Oak Double Chocolate Cherry Stout - this years version has a lot more sour cherry going on. Such a damned good beer. Gotta get me a 24 or 48 shipped over!!

Half Pints 2009 Burlywine - I'm gonna go all Gary on us here, but this appears to be more of a Burton Ale than the much more 'recent' term of Barley Wine. Very warming with a great balance between sweetness & bitter, with a nice drying finish.

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

Bought 12 St Ambroise Pale Ale. Tried my first couple last night. Quite "hoppy"....I like!!

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Martyn Cornell has done some great writing on Burton Ale and the connection to barley wine, an extra strong ale that is sweet and rich.

Recently I had a Tally Ho 2009 bottling, from Adnams in England, which is similar in style but not as strong, just over 7%, somewhat like Old Peculier. Not sure what to call these, maybe Old Ales. The Tally Ho had that typical perfect balance English ales can get, all raisiny malt with a firm hop bitter underlying. Nothing quite like it here or in the U.S. that I know.

Gary
Gary Gillman

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Wellington IPA

good stuff!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Anchor Steam. It has been a while and I forgot how great this beer is. Taste is like a malty pilsener.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Driftwood Fat Tug IPA. Jon, please ensure more of this wonderful IPA comes my way!

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Had a great night with a few other Hamilton homebrewers:
-I brought my CDA
-had a brewer's Orval clone (along with a 2007 Orval I brought for reference), a very good match, I almost liked Bill's version better
-Bill's Czech dark lager
-Panil
-Jason's Coffee porter
-Kevin's Christmas Beer, along with his judging notes from the Son of Boneshaker contest
-Scott's lager
and quite a few other nice brews, great stuff guys!
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Bearing

Post by Bearing »

NRman and I very much enjoyed yesterday's TBW pub crawl! Tried not to duplicate any draught choices, although by the time we got to C'est What, I stuck to the Crazy Canuck...

Cloak & Dagger : Stratford Common Ale, Durham Hop Addict, Great Lakes 666
Caplansky's : Denison's Dunkel, Duggan's #9
Burger Bar : Granite Hopping Mad, Cheshire Valley Robust Porter
Harbord House : Beau's Winterbrewed, Neustadt 10W30
Victory : Hoptical Illusion, Duggan's #1
C'est What : Mill St. Vanilla Porter, Great Lakes Crazy Canuck Pale Ale, Cheshire Valley Mild, Muskoka Double Chocolate Cranberry Stout

Don't let anyone tell you that Ontario doesn't make fantastic beer! A lot of fun, and great to meet other beer fans... Can't wait 'til September!

notdan

Post by notdan »

Spent a nice day in Toronto on Friday to see a Royksopp concert at Guvernment. Before and after I had...

De Dolle Extra Export Stout (@ Beer Bistro)
Duggan's Double IPA (@ Duggan's)
Kronenbourg Blanc and Maudite (@ Real Sports Bar)
too many gin and tonics (@ Guvernment)
Durham Hop Addict and Great Lakes Vanilla Porter (@ C'est What)

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

Tree Hophead Double IPA.

I've drank a lot of these in the past few weeks.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

A quick pint of Smashbomb at The Only Cafe. Then onto Korean BBQ.