Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Rogue Northwestern Ale. Very good!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

mintjellie wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Flying Monkey's Hoptical Illusion. Nice to see it's back to its hop free flavour.

Remind me in the future to avoid everything from Flying Monkeys except Smashbomb.
whats the date code? that beer never fails me but, well - look at my location. :lol:
The case says it was bottled on May 20th, 2011.

Drinking a Rogue Brutal "IPA". What the hell has happened to this beer? Definitely not what I remember.

heebes

Post by heebes »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:
mintjellie wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Flying Monkey's Hoptical Illusion. Nice to see it's back to its hop free flavour.

Remind me in the future to avoid everything from Flying Monkeys except Smashbomb.
whats the date code? that beer never fails me but, well - look at my location. :lol:

Drinking a Rogue Brutal "IPA". What the hell has happened to this beer? Definitely not what I remember.
picked up some replenished stock of Hoptical yesterday and got to agree, tatsed fine but severly lacked the hop punch the previous one i had in hamilton 2 months ago.

i also didnt find the brutal ipa to be very pungent or bitter / to style.

i really hope when the 2xipa is better distributed its showcasing some major hops like when i first experienced it..

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

heebes wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:
mintjellie wrote: whats the date code? that beer never fails me but, well - look at my location. :lol:

picked up some replenished stock of Hoptical yesterday and got to agree, tatsed fine but severly lacked the hop punch the previous one i had in hamilton 2 months ago.

i also didnt find the brutal ipa to be very pungent or bitter / to style.

i really hope when the 2xipa is better distributed its showcasing some major hops like when i first experienced it..
Hopefully. I'm beginning to wonder how long ago these bottles of Brutal Bitter (I refuse to call it "Brutal IPA") were bottled.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Streets wrote:Had a Mad Tom on the deck last night, and spotted a Willow Goldfinch in my backyard. Is that anything special Steelback?

Good question.

The "Willow Goldfinch" or "Eastern Goldfinch" are alternative names for the accepted name, AMERICAN GOLDFINCH. A migratory and resident finch species that is common to abundant at all times of the year here in S. Ontario. In N. Ontario, it is much more migratory, showing up in spring, and often staying to breed, only to leave in the fall. In the southern part of its range, it can reach as far south as south Texas and even further south.

They are late season breeders, nesting in July and August so they may stick around in their northern range until late in the season, depending on food sourcing.

The Willow Goldfinch has been thought to be a sub-species of the western version of this species, but the name is largely colloquial and has little DNA evidence to suggest it is even a sub-species.

SO what you have is an American Goldfinch.

Len
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

A bottle of Hop Head DIPA that I forgot about in the back of my fridge. I think I actually prefer this one with 5+ months of age on it...

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Rogue Chipotle - nice, smoky, with some but not overpowering heat, pairs really well with panzerotti
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

I'm drinking a Southern Tier 2XIPA, never had it before and it's not as hoppy as I was expecting (although still great). It certainly hides it 8.2%, but I would take a Garrison Imperial or Tree Hop Head before the ST.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Me too
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Westvleteren Extra 8
Westvleteren 12

Available here in B.C. at retail...I shit you not. :o
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Jon Walker wrote:Westvleteren Extra 8
Westvleteren 12

Available here in B.C. at retail...I shit you not. :o
Whaaaaa? Are those still grey market or has the wider distribution within Belgium resulted in legitimate export? Either way, awesome. What're the prices like?

Drinking a Driftwood Blackstone Porter right now. Tasty stuff.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Westy 8 is about $15, 12 is about $17.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Jon Walker wrote:Westy 8 is about $15, 12 is about $17.
Wow!
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Jon Walker wrote:Westy 8 is about $15, 12 is about $17.
That is a good price, I'm getting an 8 and a 12 next month, I've only ever tried the 12.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

jibblypop

Post by jibblypop »

Crazy Canuck (1 can) - nice and powerful... damn... I'm starting to get into "it"

Muskoka Dark Ale (1 can) - ol' reliable dark ale

Brooklyn Lager (2 bottles) - not as good as I remembered it being when I had it on tap