Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Just got back from the meads, ciders and fruit beers tasting at Grand River and I must say they have put on another great event.

-Matt's Pineapple Berlinerweisse - lots of pineapple! off to a great start
-Tropical Fruit Pilsner (forgot the official name...good, but could have used a bit more fruitiness)
-Grand River Blackberry Wheat
-Zachariah's Rhubarb Cider - like an apple/rhubarb pie
-Applewood 2008 Iced Cider - getting into the bigger guns here
-Applewood Farm Dragon’s Fyre Meade - 23%

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
This meade is part of our reserve (by request only) selection, that is meades that we feel are perhaps a little odd for the main stream or too difficult to make in larger quantities. This one is both. A blend of Wildflower, Clover, Alphalpha, and Buckwheat honeys this mead was blended in 2005, moved to sleep in 30 liter american oak casks and finally to the bottle without filtration. The result is a thick, sweet warming meade with gamey and bourbon notes.

Holy snappin' Margarets was this one good, they only had 2 bottles out of very few in existence!

Afterwards had a bit of a Lake Erie Monster with JB84 Kish84 and a few other guys, good night!
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Fullers London Porter from a private store... can't remember the price, but it's definitely cheaper at the LCBO!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Today at The Black Shire Pub:

Spearhead Hawaiian Style Pale Ale (draught)
Grand River Galt Knife Lager (draught)

Then at The King Edward Restaurant & Pub:

Steam Whistle Pilsner (draught)
F&M Stone Hammer Dark Ale (cask)
Grand River Black Berry Wheat Ale (draught)
Neustadt This Sour Kraut (draught)

And right now at home:

Southern Tier 2xIPA (bottle)

OK...I'm ready for bed! :lol:

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

phirleh wrote:Just got back from the meads, ciders and fruit beers tasting at Grand River and I must say they have put on another great event.

-Matt's Pineapple Berlinerweisse - lots of pineapple! off to a great start
-Tropical Fruit Pilsner (forgot the official name...good, but could have used a bit more fruitiness)
-Grand River Blackberry Wheat
-Zachariah's Rhubarb Cider - like an apple/rhubarb pie
-Applewood 2008 Iced Cider - getting into the bigger guns here
-Applewood Farm Dragon’s Fyre Meade - 23%

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
This meade is part of our reserve (by request only) selection, that is meades that we feel are perhaps a little odd for the main stream or too difficult to make in larger quantities. This one is both. A blend of Wildflower, Clover, Alphalpha, and Buckwheat honeys this mead was blended in 2005, moved to sleep in 30 liter american oak casks and finally to the bottle without filtration. The result is a thick, sweet warming meade with gamey and bourbon notes.

Holy snappin' Margarets was this one good, they only had 2 bottles out of very few in existence!

Afterwards had a bit of a Lake Erie Monster with JB84 Kish84 and a few other guys, good night!
This!!

Great event!!

The tropical fruit pilsner was "Grand River Jamaican Me Crazy", Matt's was Pineapple Express.

I have to agree that the Iced Cider and Mead were incredible. I have to admit, after I took a sniff of the mead I was frightened. It was almost the aroma of a cheap scotch, but it was delicious.

My only gripe is that I think the iced cider and mead should have been served at a cooler temperature, but for both to be fantastic at the temperatures they were speaks to the quality of Applewood. A trip to Stoufville, may be needed.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Applewood makes some great stuff. There's a neat little petting zoo (donation-only) down the street as well... which makes for a nice family outing to the countryside.

I gotta find some local mead here in BC.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Today, McAusalan Oatmeal Stout, Duggans Asian Lager No.5, JB84 and Kish84`s homebrewed Wild Ale and now enjoying a Waterloo Radlermass.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

jibblypop

Post by jibblypop »

After two straight weeks of Crazy Canuck, I bought 12 fresh bottles of Mad Tom tonight.
I have a friend coming over to play guitar and such... I told him I'm picking up Budweiser... what a nice surprise it'll be for him!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Driftwood Belle Royale Belgian cherry ale
big City Royal Jamaican Ginger Beer
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Muskoka Mad Tom, while enjoying some beer bread I made tonight (first batch ever!). Used Staropramen in a very simple recipe. Oh my GAWD it's delicious.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Not a lot right now, but I've decided that, for some reason, Stratford has a surprisingly good selection of local beers. Looks Like my new mandate is to relieve that poor old town of most of their stock.I'll start tomorrow. Seems like the only decent thing to do given the populace there. I'll take their beer, they can have Shakespeare festivals.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Streets

Post by Streets »

DUGGAN'S #5 SORACHI LAGER

It's only listed at two stores, and one happens to be in Hamilton.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Streets wrote:DUGGAN'S #5 SORACHI LAGER

It's only listed at two stores, and one happens to be in Hamilton.
And I will do my best to relieve that store of their stock in the early AM. Cheers!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Streets

Post by Streets »

Feel free!

And maybe you can tell me, does the quantity on hand mean 36 bottles or 36 6 packs? I assumed it meant 6 packs, but my buddy who grabbed the Sorachi said they scanned it through as 6 singles, and 36 6 packs seems like a lot of rice beer to send to one store... Also, any idea why only 2 stores in the province received this?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Streets wrote:Feel free!

And maybe you can tell me, does the quantity on hand mean 36 bottles or 36 6 packs? I assumed it meant 6 packs, but my buddy who grabbed the Sorachi said they scanned it through as 6 singles, and 36 6 packs seems like a lot of rice beer to send to one store... Also, any idea why only 2 stores in the province received this?

If the product is sold in a 6 pack, then it is going to be 36 6 packs. If they were sold in a single unit format, then it would be 36 bottles. Don't worry, I was only kiddin ya anyway, I'll leave your stock alone. :) We've got some on the way!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Had some stuff at the Taps meet n greet last night. The Portage Pale Ale was surprisingly good. A lot better than the samples I've had in the past. A very passable pale ale.

I also tried Black Oak Hop Bomb. A good beer for sure, but the name is a bit of a misnomer. It isn't a hop bomb at all.