Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

My last hopsinjoor, really hope this comes back.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

A bottle of Smashbomb.

What is it with Flying Monkeys brewery and their ridiculous inconsistencies in their bottled beer? Every pint of this I drank tasted exactly the same. The farther I get into this case the more and more it just tastes like what I imagine Hoptical Illusion is supposed to taste like.

Not to mention that I've now noticed that the bottled Smashbomb is significantly darker than the draught version. In fact it resembles the colour of Hoptical Illusion. Something's not right here.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote: Something's not right here.
Your memory? I drink Smashbomb a couple times a week on average (usually the best option in this city) and I haven't noticed the bottles being any darker than normal. It may have been lighter at one point but that hasn't been the case for some time now.

That said I have had some wildly inconsistant pints of Hoptical, Netherworld, and Smashbomb. Can't say if that's the fault of FM or the venue serving them.

Currently drinking Propeller ESB.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Brakspear Triple, getting a little plasticky note that's just ruining everything else that is good about this beer
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Cale wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote: Something's not right here.
Your memory? I drink Smashbomb a couple times a week on average (usually the best option in this city) and I haven't noticed the bottles being any darker than normal. It may have been lighter at one point but that hasn't been the case for some time now.

That said I have had some wildly inconsistant pints of Hoptical, Netherworld, and Smashbomb. Can't say if that's the fault of FM or the venue serving them.

Currently drinking Propeller ESB.
I sincerely doubt it's my memory.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Black Oak Summer Saison at beer bistro. One of our best craft beers at one of our best craft beer bars. A winning interpretation of the classic strong summer ale of the Meuse Valley in Belgium offering notes of orange, yeast and something sharp.

Gary
Gary Gillman

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

cmadd wrote: Did you find some Behemoth?
Saw it at a beer bar this evening in a 22oz bottle, but didn't want to get shit-faced so I passed. Still hoping to find it at West Lake View, the brewpub, or Maria's when we go to the Sox game on Wednesday.

Today at Glenn's Diner, Sheffield's, and The Long Room:

Three Floyds Gumballhead (bottle)
Dogfish Head Festina Peche (bottle)
Founders Red's Rye Pale Ale (draught)
Avery Joe’s Premium American Pilsner (can)
Three Floyds Pride & Joy Mild Ale (draught)
Rogue Dad's Little Helper Black IPA (draught)

Cool "Drive-Ins" video of Glenn's Diner here: http://glennsdiner.com/wos.html (first link)

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:
Saw it at a beer bar this evening in a 22oz bottle, but didn't want to get shit-faced so I passed. Still hoping to find it at West Lake View, the brewpub, or Maria's when we go to the Sox game on Wednesday.

Cool "Drive-Ins" video of Glenn's Diner here: http://glennsdiner.com/wos.html (first link)
Mike,if you don't find a bottle of it anywhere,but can find a very FRESH bottle of the Behemoth at a bar, then I'd highly recommend maybe having less beer, but ordering the Behemoth. It is likely one of the best beer experiences I have ever had.

Have fun!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

A quick couple pints at the Judge, shared between the miss and I after picking up some coffee beans:

Spearhead Hawaiian Pale Ale
Beau's Fesitvale

I'm happy to report that the Judge is back to normal, with a full line-up of taps that actually include some interesting and new options! I also found the pineapple to be a lot more apparent in the Spearhead than my pint of it at Volo.

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

cratez wrote:

Oh, the Gumballhead! I really love that beer. Did you get a passionfruity aroma and taste? I couldn't place it, but that's the closest I got.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Flying Monkey's Netherworld. It's well-made but the American hops are too forward for me, I like a Black IPA where you can taste C-hops but the porter/black malt element smooths it down somewhat, gives a velvety overlay.

So I added two ounces (maybe it was three) of Sinha Stout to the Netherworld, in a pint glass.

Perfection - for me.

Gary
Gary Gillman

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Sly Fox 113 - fairly fresh and quite good.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

HUB Galactic Imperial Red
Gouden Carolus Tripel
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Some fresh Great Divide Old Ruffian. T's'all it took :)... I'm off to bed!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

At Gambrinus F & M tasting and meet n greet.........

F & M Imperial Pilsner Citra Dry Hopped 6.0% ( Cask)
F & M Coffee Oatmeal Stout (draught)
F & M Maple Red (draught)
F & M Stonehammer Pils (draught)

Impy Pilsner and Coffee Oatmeal both world class offerings IMO.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!