Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Jolly Pumpkin Calabaza Blanca
Driftwood Fat Tug IPA
Central City Red Racer
Sam Smith Taddy Porter
Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout
Brooklyn Sorachi Ace

All while brewing, it was a good day though a little warm.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Parts of two flights at Mill St Brewpub today. A faultless Belgian-style wit impressed with milky-like notes. The IPA was excellent, not really English or U.S. in style, and malty and hoppy at the same time; the stout was superb, with a freshness and fresh-roasty quality that probably owed much to being brewed on site. I liked the pilsener too.

Most of the beers shared a lightly tart background, it seems a house characteristic, not sure where that comes from. It suits the beers which have a malty component or are sharp to begin with (e.g. those with wheat content). The ESB could be better, it had a certain grainy quality I found off-putting, and the strong lager, called I think helles bock, seemed somewhat unbalanced. But most of the beers I tried hit my taste preference which I found impressive considering the range of beers brewed.

I passed on the cask beer, served straight from the pin on the counter, it was a little cloudy for me (i.e., yeasty) but that's a question of taste to be sure. It was a blend of ESB and IPA and as one who likes to try his hand at blending I could only approve.

An excellent "all in one" beer bar in pleasant surroundings that I intend to visit more often.
Gary Gillman

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Camping in Pennsylvania this weekend, stopped at Premier after crossing the border, but didn't have much time to pick and choose which beers, spent the weekend drinking a bunch of:

Oskar Blue's Dale's Pale Ale
Victory Hop Devil
and too many mixed drinks to remember

jimmay

Post by jimmay »

Widmer Brothers Pitch Black IPA - like it!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Amsterdam 416 Urban Wheat
@ Only Cafe.

Muskoka Summer Wheat is in extremely fine form, nice going brewers!
In Beerum Veritas

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Mendocino Eye of the Hawk...meh.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

-Cider Mon Plaisir Fermier Bio Brut: oaked apple cider with a good dose of brett. Maybe the best cider I've ever had.
-Widmer Brothers Reserve Barrel Aged Brrrbon: I used to think bourbon barrel aging was gimmicky bullshit. I'm coming around. I dig it.
-Deschutes Hop in the Dark CDA. I'm honestly a little burnt out on American IPA's, but add some dark roasty goodness on top and CDA's/Black IPA's might be one of my new favorite styles.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Belgian wrote:Amsterdam 416 Urban Wheat
@ Only Cafe.
I read somewhere that A-B is now in the process of trademarking large-market area code numbers for use in the Goose Island Urban wheat branding. Amsterdam might want to be careful, I wouldn't put it past a big corporation like that to get lawyers involved, we've seen it before...
Edit: I found A tid bit on it here

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Green Flash Imperial IPA.

Good God this beer is great. An incredibly unique hop profile, and a very understated sweetness that allows the hops to shine. Awesome.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

La Binchoise Brune. Reminds me quite a bit of Westmalle Dubbel but not quite as good.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Red truck pils, Tofino tuff session, Coal Harbour Rye Saison and Old Rasputin (on Nitro).

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Muskoka Mad Tom IPA, Central City rRed Racer IPA.

FTW: Mad Tom

I've said a number of times that Muskoka Brewing could evolve into Ontario's own Sierra Nevada Brewing Co, in the most positive sense. The Mad Tom only gets better each bottling, and the Summer Weisse on draught is an incredible Hefe.
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Red Racer

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

biegaman wrote:
Belgian wrote:Amsterdam 416 Urban Wheat
@ Only Cafe.
I read somewhere that A-B is now in the process of trademarking large-market area code numbers for use in the Goose Island Urban wheat branding.
Let's worry about getting some Goose Island products up here before some pointy-headed A-B lawyers start flouncing around with the cease-and-desist demands.
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

kinguy wrote:Stone Smoked Porter
An excellent and very underrated beer. I love this one, especially on tap.