Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Ale Asylum Ballistic IPA
Weyerbacher Insanity

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

had a maredsous blonde with lunch, then a few glasses of our berliner weisse while moving some homebrew into kegs. had a sample of my american wheat with clementines (totally badass) and our "table saison" (also great) as i was putting them into kegs. now i'm relaxing with a pint of dark horse crooked tree ipa. or at least it was a pint when i started, and now it's half gone... might have to go pour another...

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

andrewrg wrote:What were your thoughts on Storm King? I liked it, but found it to be much lighter in flavour compared to other high ABV stouts.
Nose definitely has more hops than what you're used to seeing in stouts. Gives it a grassy, earthy coffee aroma that I like, as it makes it a very "gourmand' beer, going great with BBQ pork.

Mouth is pretty light, high on torrefaction acidity, and an oily yet dry stout. Gives the alcohol room to shine. I like the burn that it brings (I am a whisky lover, so I consider this a plus) and the burnt toast, with a bite of hop at the end.

This is not a polite silky sweet stout. Its a grab you by the chin, look you in the eye and spit hop-coffee in your mouth kinda of beer :). Its an attention hog, extravert, me-me-me kind of beer you drink to forget whatever it is you drank or ate prior.

Not as rich mouthfeel? I don't mind, when it packs a punch like this, without being astringent, or metallic.

I love it, but the harshness always takes me by surprise, especially since I've been drinking so much Blackout Stout, and Fat Dog recently, which are much more mellow on hop presence.

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

Upright Four
Upright Five
Upright Provisions
Upright Hard Bop Brown
GD Hibernation Ale

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Last night:

Maui CoCoNut Porter (can) - tasty as always, an excellent sessionable porter with great coconut character
DDC Aphrodisiaque (bottle) - didn't taste as phony as usual
Half Pints Stir Stick Stout (tap) - I like this beer a lot, but I always find a whole pint a bit much
Tankhouse (tap) - undrinkable, sweet, cloying, almost no hop character, definitely an off keg

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

markaberrant wrote:Tankhouse (tap) - undrinkable, sweet, cloying, almost no hop character, definitely an off keg
nope thats just how tankhouse tastes now

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Box Steam Dark & Handsome. Reaction: meh. A bit roasty, but mostly just light and watery.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

matt7215 wrote:
markaberrant wrote:Tankhouse (tap) - undrinkable, sweet, cloying, almost no hop character, definitely an off keg
IFBIT.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

matt7215 wrote:
hmm... could be, I have not had one in some time. About when do you think the recipe was changed?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Nebraska Whisky Barrel Aged Black Betty. A nice change of pace for bourbon barrel aged beers.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Fuller's Past Masters XX Strong. From a glass labeled "Duvel" found at a thrift shop in pristine condition! Delicious.

Soods

Post by Soods »

Nogne Imperial Stout
Older Viscosity

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Soods wrote:Nogne Imperial Stout
It doesn't get much better than that! Cheers!

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

Mother of All Storms 2011 with my dad. Last beer together before I head back to Toronto.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

big green ipa from wassuchettes?, sierra nevada porter, lagunitas sucks, nogne imperial stout.