Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Bobsy wrote:
My brother-in-law gave me a bottle of shine at Christmas that weighed in at 72%. It was still a little rough at the edges, and I think that he needs to lower the ABV to help make it smoother, and maybe filter it a little more. Definitely gives you a nice warming feeling!
Baby...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JesseM wrote:
Bobsy wrote:
My brother-in-law gave me a bottle of shine at Christmas that weighed in at 72%. It was still a little rough at the edges, and I think that he needs to lower the ABV to help make it smoother, and maybe filter it a little more. Definitely gives you a nice warming feeling!
Baby...
Luckily the "Socially Responsible over-pricing policies" of the LCBO are driving people away to make their own cheap booze. ;)

I think anything THAT strong (72%) you can let it cellar for a year or two and it will smooth out a bit. Even if bottle is already open. I did that with a 50% Polish Vodka and man, what a difference!
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Here is some priceless propaganda... paid for by you!
http://www.lcbo.com/socialresponsibilit ... ment.shtml
ILLEGAL ALCOHOL: NOT A VICTIMLESS CRIME!!!!!!
People who buy untested illegal alcohol are playing Russian roulette with their health. Seized products have been found to contain carcinogens, toxins and poisons. Bootleg alcohol is also accessible to those who should not have it - minors and intoxicated people - putting others at risk from drunk driving and other dangerous situations.

Ontario taxpayers also lose, as an important source of government revenue that could be spent on social and health programs goes instead to criminals. We estimate that smuggled liquor and illegally manufactured wine represented over $661 million – or more than seven per cent of the $9-billion Ontario beverage alcohol market – in fiscal 2006-2007.
Apparently any activity that is a threat to Absolute State Power is automatically 'criminal' AND also to blame for all society's problems. Nice rationalization!
In Beerum Veritas

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

I throughly "enjoyed" "Nineteen Eighty Four" by George Orwell (AKA Eric Blair). Probably the most important book I've ever read.
I met someone that called on my business at the time and saw their business card with the name "Eric Blair". I was taken aback. I said you "You know who that was right?" He said "Ya I think my Mum mentioned it" I felt like a dick. So did his parents with the last name Blair know that there was a famous Eric or did they happen to just name him that we will never know.

Anyway, back on topic. I've had a major project to finish so I couldn't partake in the finest BEvERageS in my cellar for a while without a massive loss in productivity. Now I'm done for the time being so out comes the good stuff.

Currently on a Three Floyd's Dreadnaught after several Headstrong and Mill St. Tankhouse. Just a different league.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Belgian wrote: I think anything THAT strong (72%) you can let it cellar for a year or two and it will smooth out a bit. Even if bottle is already open. I did that with a 50% Polish Vodka and man, what a difference!
*Arnold voice* Stop being such a sissy!

Haha. I think I'm going to have a St. Amboise Oatmeal Stout in a bit. Less body than I remember it used to have, but still a pretty good stout. I saved it for today because I donated blood tonight for the first time, and I read somewhere that in Ireland they used to give stout beer to blood donors after they donated, because it's high in iron (although replacing a pint of blood with a pint of alcohol is probably an amazing way to get drunk really fast).

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

Had a Christoffel earlier. Neustadt Lager tonight.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Tea. You really can't beat Tetley - its the lawnmower beer of the tea world. Maybe an Anchor Steam later, but I'm off to Halifax tomorrow, so perhaps I should give my liver a night off. Last night I had a couple beers from Quebec, but neither one of them was as good as the yukon red that some fellow sent me in a trade. The fruit, nut and caramel flavours from the malt were really moreish, and if it was available here I think it would be a regular purchase for me.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Had a couple Sargent Major's IPA now contemplating what next...

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout then pints of homebrew

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

Propellor ESB, Garrison Imperial Pale Ale, and Great Lakes Orange Peel Ale. I'm beginning to think I should have moved to Halifax with the ex years ago.

DrJay

Post by DrJay »

Tonight was all about Troegs Scratch #10, Harpoon Old Rusty's Red Rye Ale, followed by homebrewed pineapple kolsch. And a bit of Bauhaus on the side. ;-)

DrJay

Post by DrJay »

And now a homebrewed porter!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Water. Way too hot for beer. :( :( :(

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Last night it was Anchor Steam, Grolsch Weizen, Bleuets et Melon d'eau (Brasserie Lion d'or), d'Orleans Ambree a la Erable and Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.

rossolee

Post by rossolee »

Last night Anchor Steam as well and Sammy Adams Summer Ale, today Franziskaner Weissbier and ST Phin and Matts :)