Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Well I'm jealous of your Rogue Brutal Bitter because I only ever bought a couple bottles before it was all gone, and now I really wish I had some :(. But at the moment I'm sipping on a can of Oskar Blues Ten Fidy (thanks Jan!), as an after dinner digestive thing. It's pretty interesting, not sure if it's supposed to be like this but my can is completely flat, but I don't mind it. It makes it more interesting to me I guess as it seems different. Quite good, I'm definitely loving the hops in this one, although I think maybe I should give up my Imperial Stout binge given the heat and what not :P.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Just popped open a Lost Coast Downtown Brown. A lovely Brown Ale with a nice dark, burnt malt profile, a wonderful slight bitterness and an underlying taste of licorice. Lovely :)

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Stone Ruination to start the night...one of their best brews imho.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Hey Jesse, I have not had a "flat" tenfidy yet. It is, perhaps slightly more syrupy mouthfeel than other stouts though.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Syrupy is a good word for it too.

I just had a glass of Aldaris Zelta while star-watching. Saw a shooting star which was pretty cool. I wanted to spot a UFO, but alas, only satelites tonight. The Zelta was heavenly though. Man I love that stuff. Freshish bottle too.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I found a case of Westmalle Dubbel and it is drinking very well in this season.

I should look around downstairs more often!!
In Beerum Veritas

mike24

Post by mike24 »

Hercules Double IPA. oh daddy, this beer is dangerous.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I'm so sad and conflicted...

I spent the night with a great bunch of people, but in a place with nothing but Inbev. In the end I just accepted that Blue was a little better than water. I really wished it would have been possible to share good beer with these good people. :cry:

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Tapsucker wrote:I'm so sad and conflicted...

I spent the night with a great bunch of people, but in a place with nothing but Inbev. In the end I just accepted that Blue was a little better than water. I really wished it would have been possible to share good beer with these good people. :cry:
I feel for you, brother. I've been in similar situations, and I tend to order a gin and tonic. I'd rather have water than spend my hard earned cash on a crappy beer.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Tapsucker wrote:I'm so sad and conflicted...

I actually prefer blue light... IMHO, it's closer to water, and less offensive.

But yeah, crap beer just isn't worth it (taste, cost, calories, alcohol).

One nice thing about Inbev is that some of those Labatt towers now have acceptable imports.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

robinvboyer wrote:
Derek wrote:
robinvboyer wrote: Alesmith Summer Yulesmith!
Really? A Christmas in July release?

I was just going buy what Ratebeer has those two beers under. They are both listed as Alesmith Yulesmith, and one is summer, and one is winter. Sorry for the faux pas.
Cool. I had no idea... as we don't get either of them here!

Buffalo had the Yulesmith in the spring though (presumably left over from the winter).

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

No worries, i'm fully aware we don't get them up here. I"m up in Sturgeon Falls.....scary the garbage i have to wade through up here. I was lucky enough to get the summer yulesmith in a trade, it was a delicious double IPA. I've had the winter yulesmith too, also very good, but not as good. It was in imperial red ale, or as ratebeer would say an "American Strong Ale".

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Drinking terrible machine coffee, being at work for the last 17 hours, with another hour or so to go yet. And to think there is a Marsedous Tripel in my fridge at home that I'd been planning to kick off the weekend with tonight.

Although it could be worse, I could be in Sturgeon Falls, breathing in the fumes from the Mac Blo plant
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

icemachine wrote:Drinking terrible machine coffee, being at work for the last 17 hours, with another hour or so to go yet. And to think there is a Marsedous Tripel in my fridge at home that I'd been planning to kick off the weekend with tonight.

Although it could be worse, I could be in Sturgeon Falls, breathing in the fumes from the Mac Blo plant
It's been a while since you been in Sturgeon Falls hasn't it Icemachine?
The Mac Blo plant was bought buy Weyerhauser about 10 years ago, and then it was closed town about 5 years ago, and now it's 100% gone. Its just a huge massive patch of grass now. The hydro electric dam is still there, but there is nothing left of the plant.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Used to drive through the area a lot on hockey trips, it was probably about '96-'97 when I played my last game there, I just remember touring that plant on a grade 9 geography class field trip (1993 I think, I went to Almaguin Highlands S.S.)
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole