Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

Jon Walker wrote:
JesseM wrote:Unibroue 1837? Delerium Tremens?!? You guys are ridiculous ..... :(
Actually I think the whole thread is pretty ridiculous and designed to elicit bragging and oneupmanship.

Or maybe that's my glass of Närke Kaggen Stormaktsporter talking. Whatever.
*shotguns Westvleteren 12*

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Bobsy wrote: Dude, you're just jealous that you didn't get invited to tonight's 5-year darklord vertical tasting.
Actually I did hear about that. But it turns out it's really a hoax. Just some guy with a sexual fetish who calls himself Dark Lord and dresses up like Darth Tyranus. Enjoy the vertical tasting.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Jon Walker wrote:
Bobsy wrote: Dude, you're just jealous that you didn't get invited to tonight's 5-year darklord vertical tasting.
Actually I did hear about that. But it turns out it's really a hoax. Just some guy with a sexual fetish who calls himself Dark Lord and dresses up like Darth Tyranus. Enjoy the vertical tasting.
How did you find out my secret? :evil:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Illuminatus wrote:
Jon Walker wrote:
JesseM wrote:Unibroue 1837? Delerium Tremens?!? You guys are ridiculous ..... :(
Actually I think the whole thread is pretty ridiculous and designed to elicit bragging and oneupmanship.

Or maybe that's my glass of Närke Kaggen Stormaktsporter talking. Whatever.
*shotguns Westvleteren 12*

"Nya nya, I have beer that you don't have."

"Of course ya do *&*$#, it's ONTARIO."
:lol:
In Beerum Veritas

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Can we stop with the homophobic fruit beer "for the ladies" line...I pour thousands of samples at every major show in Ontario and, guess what? More than 50% our customers are men...they love fruit beers and admit to not being fans of "real beer". If you look at the stats, coolers are one of the fastest growing categories and it's not lady-boys only drinking these products but boysey-boys as well...we all have a sweet-tooth and men love sweet-fruity beers so don't stick your nose up in the air about these products.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

esprit wrote:Can we stop with the homophobic fruit beer "for the ladies" line...I pour thousands of samples at every major show in Ontario and, guess what? More than 50% our customers are men...they love fruit beers and admit to not being fans of "real beer". If you look at the stats, coolers are one of the fastest growing categories and it's not lady-boys only drinking these products but boysey-boys as well...we all have a sweet-tooth and men love sweet-fruity beers so don't stick your nose up in the air about these products.
I think you mean misogynistic, rather than homophobic. But yeah, lots of manly-men like fruity (i.e. tastes like fruit) beer.

-Josh

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I love fruit beers, not as session beers, but as something to pair with dessert or a light afternoon snack. On the other hand I don't drink cooolers because most of them are like liquid freezies with some grain alcohol. Nothing that does any favours for my palate
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

detritus wrote: But yeah, lots of manly-men like fruity (i.e. tastes like fruit) beer.
I do like fruit beers if they are not overly sweet (for a fruit beer) and also relatively natural tasting. Some fruit beers ARE very sweet, with added sugar, and some DO taste a little simplistic like jam or candy.

Impossible to generalize, but the "Chapeau" stuff aren't the sort of Belgian beer I like, and I do like some weird beers from La Belge.
icemachine wrote:On the other hand I don't drink cooolers because most of them are like liquid freezies with some grain alcohol.
I drank a Smirnoff hard lemonade that was given free at an event - it was this industrial lemon sugar pop with a brutal alcohol edge that just felt awful. A punishing quaff.
In Beerum Veritas

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Nothing exotic for me. Just a tasty Mill St. Tankhouse Ale.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Pitcher of moonshine.

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Peat is the next best thing to hops. :)

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

JesseM wrote:Pitcher of moonshine.
My brother-in-law gave me a bottle of shine at Christmas that weighed in at 72%. It was still a little rough at the edges, and I think that he needs to lower the ABV to help make it smoother, and maybe filter it a little more. Definitely gives you a nice warming feeling!

Last night I had a Dieu du Ciel beer that I lugged back on the train from Montreal. It was called Dernière Volonté, and tasted like a Belgian take on an IPA. I was actually very excited to discover that its bottle conditioned, as my dad is visiting in fall, and he refuses to drink anything that isn't either cask or bottle conditioned. Now I have one more thing he can drink if I can stop by Gatineau this summer to pick some up. It also turns out that it will be the 300th review I'll enter on Beer Advocate, which is mildly disconcerting. Perhaps I should switch to Juice Advocate for a while.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

esprit wrote:Can we stop with the homophobic fruit beer "for the ladies" line...I pour thousands of samples at every major show in Ontario and, guess what? More than 50% our customers are men...they love fruit beers and admit to not being fans of "real beer". If you look at the stats, coolers are one of the fastest growing categories and it's not lady-boys only drinking these products but boysey-boys as well...we all have a sweet-tooth and men love sweet-fruity beers so don't stick your nose up in the air about these products.

We all know coolers are for the ladies too.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

Just tried a big bottle of Great Lakes Orange Peel Ale on the weekend and it was very tasty. I couldn't taste the orange peel until the beer warmed up a bit but overall a very nice beer with just a hint of orange flavour. I'd definitely buy it again.

Magni

Post by Magni »

you know, i may be tempted to bring back a case of delirium tremens back from halifax, seeing as they sell it at the liquor store here... maybe...