Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

matt7215 wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
matt7215 wrote:Howe Sound Total Eclipse of the Hop
How is it? I have yet to open my bottle...
from rb:

1L bottle from a private order organized by walter, thx man! deep orange thick frothy tan head, lovely. steeped crystal malt, iced tea, american barley wine nose. the flavour is deep and complex, the finish is long and dry. pretty good, not worth $12.50
Thanks I guess ... I always find it hard to tell from your RB reviews what you really think about a beer. I guess you didn't find this one very memorable. Cheers.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Trou du Diable L'amère indienne (holy *&?*&)
East End Gratitude 2009 (takes a little getting used to this one...)

Got into some heart issues last week, decided I would rather die with an empty cellar... will be hitting some good bottle I had been keeping for aging. So much for that!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:How is it? I have yet to open my bottle...
from rb:

1L bottle from a private order organized by walter, thx man! deep orange thick frothy tan head, lovely. steeped crystal malt, iced tea, american barley wine nose. the flavour is deep and complex, the finish is long and dry. pretty good, not worth $12.50
Thanks I guess ... I always find it hard to tell from your RB reviews what you really think about a beer. I guess you didn't find this one very memorable. Cheers.
sorry, to go a bit more in depth:

this one really straddles the line between IIPA, American Barley Wine and American Strong Ale

the malt is very forward, especially in the nose, but the hopping is ample in the flavour and there is a huge amount of late bitterness. it also finishes pretty dry.

there arent any fermentation flaws and its well crafted but i dont think it represent the IIPA style very well, maybe its an imperial English IPA?

whatever it is i enjoyed it, but id rather have a 6er of smashbomb then another bottle of this (actually my other bottle of this will be shared at jsprimes bdaybash tommorow, then ill never seek this beer out again)

as for my rb reviews, i really only use them as a way to document what ive had, I rarely go into any detail about anything i have

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

matt7215 wrote:

this one really straddles the line between IIPA, American Barley Wine and American Strong Ale

the malt is very forward, especially in the nose, but the hopping is ample in the flavour and there is a huge amount of late bitterness. it also finishes pretty dry.

there arent any fermentation flaws and its well crafted but i dont think it represent the IIPA style very well, maybe its an imperial English IPA?

whatever it is i enjoyed it, but id rather have a 6er of smashbomb then another bottle of this (actually my other bottle of this will be shared at jsprimes bdaybash tommorow, then ill never seek this beer out again)

as for my rb reviews, i really only use them as a way to document what ive had, I rarely go into any detail about anything i have
You didn't have to do that on my account, but I appreciate it. I wasn't looking for that kind of depth but it was a good read, so thank you. I always try to put detail in my reviews wherever I can but I can understand why many can't be bothered doing so.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
matt7215 wrote:

You didn't have to do that on my account, but I appreciate it. I wasn't looking for that kind of depth but it was a good read, so thank you. I always try to put detail in my reviews wherever I can but I can understand why many can't be bothered doing so.
i used to care a lot more but now cant be bothered for the most part

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Howe Sound Total Eclipse of the Hop

I'm enjoying this right now too!, and I must say I'm enjoying it more than Matt. I have a second bottle I was going to part with if I didn't care for it, but I'm keeping it now.

I would say that it does have a prominent malt backbone and definitely has an English side (bitter with citrus, compared to floral) to it, but I like my IPAs and IIPAs still to be well-balanced, that is to say very hoppy but not to the point that it's the only characteristic, and I think this hits all the notes perfectly... for me. ;)

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

With JB84 so far:

GLB Robust Porter (bottle)
Amrut Fusion
Bombay Sapphire
Mill St. Tankhouse
Caesar
Dukes Cider
Flying Monkey's Stereo Vision
Railway City Honey Elixir
GLB Robust Porter (draught)
G&T
more Gin
homebrew DIPA

and more to come...possibly just homemade caesar's for the rest of the night, but who knows.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Howe Sound Total Eclipse of the Hop

I'm enjoying this right now too!, and I must say I'm enjoying it more than Matt. I have a second bottle I was going to part with if I didn't care for it, but I'm keeping it now.

I would say that it does have a prominent malt backbone and definitely has an English side (bitter with citrus, compared to floral) to it, but I like my IPAs and IIPAs still to be well-balanced, that is to say very hoppy but not to the point that it's the only characteristic, and I think this hits all the notes perfectly... for me. ;)
i enjoyed TEOTH quite a bit as a beer i just dont think is was a top tier IIPA

i ranked it 37th of the 61 IIPA ive had

440 out of 1635 beers overall

if you enjoy english style IPAs this is just a big example of that

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Three-day break from beer but I'm thinking about going to Coles tomorrow!! I'm sure they will have, oh one or two semi-decent things on tap.
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Goose Island Bourbon County Bramble.

REALLY sweet. Interesting, but not worth the hype IMO.

Streets

Post by Streets »

Some home brew "house bitter" earlier (not mine), and then a Naughty Neighbour, and now a Cameron's RPA.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

cratez wrote:1000th post! :D
I'm right behind you! Just drinking a LOB 10 point that a co-worker bought me. Agreed that the price is a bit steep on this, although I have enjoyed each brew they've put out.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

matt7215 wrote:i enjoyed TEOTH quite a bit as a beer i just dont think is was a top tier IIPA
This sums up my experience as well. Some sort of strong hybrid english/american ale, very malty. The name is extremely misleading. Previous years have all tasted similar, so it isn't like it was an off batch/bottle. But yeah, still a tasty beer.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:1000th post! :D

There we go!!!!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Yesterday at Buckeye Beer Engine, Great Lakes Brewing, and Market Garden Brewery:

Stoudts Pils (draught)
North Coast Red Seal Ale (draught)
Great Lakes Holy Moses White Ale (draught)
Great Lakes The Wright Pils (draught)
Market Garden Spring Porter (draught)
Victory Headwaters Pale Ale (draught)

Only been here two days but so far Cleveland strikes me as a truly great beer city. The bars have awesome atmospheres and Ohio seems to get a bunch of taps that you can't find in Michigan (Six Point), Illinois (Troegs), or New York (3Floyds). Off to Lolita and Tremont Tap House today.
Belgian wrote: I'm thinking about going to Coles tomorrow!! I'm sure they will have, oh one or two semi-decent things on tap.
LOL!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott